Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor 2

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jeff, May 11, 2012.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Might wanna fix that link there. You have the link in the url twice.

Like this:
    Code:
    http://www.rubyhornet.com/lupe-fiasco-speaks-on-new-album-american-culture-and-more/http://www.rubyhornet.com/lupe-fiasco-speaks-on-new-album-american-culture-and-more/

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Fixed

lpisbaws

lpisbaws Well-Known Member

just heard the original song, TROY. Must say, it is a one of the best rap songs ive heard in a long long time. Lupe's song isnt bad either but after hearing this, I dont think any rap song is going to impress me more. My purpose on this planet is done. Adios.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Don't ya know, B.o.B made him "suicidal" during the time of Lasers. I stopped taking Lupe seriously when he made that comment like he deserved some pity party because B.o.B's version of "Nothin' On You" was chosen over his.

Minus

That's kinda fucked. B.o.B. himself didn't make Lupe depressed. For fuck's sake, they're in the group All City Chess Club together.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_City_Chess_Club

What made him feel like shit is the fact that the label gave him a song, he wrote and performed it, then the label said, "Yeah, fuck no. Not good enough." Then gave it to someone else they felt was more "mainstream".

And you have NO idea what the fuck he was going through at that time. Don't take anyone's suicidal thoughts lightly. Considering all the fuckery revolving Atlantic that Lupe was going through at the time, I can see why he was in a bad place.

SO yeah, in short your B.o.B. comment was the furthest from wrong you could POSSIBLY get and you're being insensitive.

Agent

^ Everything Minus said. LASERS was something Atlantic made up and made Lupe write to. They were even sending him ready-made beats with poppy/mainstream hooks and asked him to rap on them.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

^Which is why I do not own the album. Hell, I haven't even taken the time to listen to the album in its' entirety. As far as I'm concerned, The Cool is the definitive Lupe album thus far.

Agent

Yup, Food & Liquor and The Cool are some of the best hip-hop albums to come out, period.

Btw, Pete Rock and Lupe have patched things up. All is fine again. I think we might be seeing a collaboration between the two in the near future... at least that's what Pete hinted at on Twitter.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Drop the label. Walk away (like he threatened to). Start a kickstarter movement and get your music funded to do it the way you want to. In this day and age, an artist of Lupe's caliber doesn't need Atlantic. There are people doing it their own way. I'm not taking anyone's sucidial thoughts lightly. I've been there, I've cut myself and done things I'm not proud of. However, I didn't do it while name-dropping someone else. In the interview I read, he specifically named B.o.B and one specific song, not just Atlantic and the whole Lasers album.

How do you think that might have made B.o.B feel? That's all I'm saying. He did an interview with MTV in January about how he thought his relationship with Lupe had been damaged because of that interview. Basically they hadn't gotten to discuss the fact that his version was chosen over Lupe's before the print dropped.

That's all I meant. I offer a sincere apology to anyone I offended with my poor choice of wording and my lack of explanation. Suicide is not something to be taken lightly.

Minus

Do you know the legal repercussions of dropping a label before your albums are up? How much money that costs?

Yes, Radiohead and NIN made it a point of showing success without a label, but remember they did that AFTER their contract was up. Sure Lupe can do it his own way but he's LEGALLY obligated to stay with Atlantic.

Just look at Linkin Park's troubles with Warner a few years back.

And yes, you ARE taking Lupe's troubles lightly. When you say:

You're reeking of disrespect. The quotations around suicidal, the use of the phrase "don't ya know" before the comment. That's not poor choice of wording. That'd be like saying this:

Don't ya know, @LP2K12 has "been there" and he's not proud of it.

Back on point of Lupe himself: It's legally unwise for Lupe to drop label. Especially since Atlantic technically owns everything Lupe has written while under their banner. Actually think about the repercussions before assuming Lupe can go independent. He really can't unless he invests a LOT of money to break contract or GETS them to drop him or fulfills his legal obligations.

P.S. Kickstarter didn't get big until 2012, so your point there is moot.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

In the interview he said he became suicidal after being told that his verses were wack by his label. Later on the song was given to B.o.B. I think that was waaay taken out of context.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

I'll just refer back to his 2011 interview with Complex where he suggested leaving Atlantic himself. That's why I brought it up.

“I don’t like the process behind Lasers. The music is dope but I just don’t like the process. We were literally at the point where all this music was done except for a couple songs that we did after the protest. So the bulk of the album was done. And we were talking about shelving the album and going to another label, that’s where we were like, ‘If you put the record out, put it out. Either move on to another album or can it and we’ll do other records at another label.’ The business of it got solved. I’m happy for the fans, this is their album. This is the album that they fought for and that’s what made me do songs like ‘Words I Never Said’ and ‘All Black Everything.’

Again, I apologize for my wording. However, I know I wasn't taking something lightly. I'm a little desensitized after my time in the military, however, that shouldn't be an excuse. I'm working on it. I'm sorry to anyone I offended with my comments in this thread.

Minus

The threat of leaving a label is merely that: a threat. It's more of a bargaining chip that ended up working in his favor (slightly. See: Lasers). The same thing happened with Linkin Park.

Agent

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Finally got around to listening to the single. Really dig it. Finally the intense autotune shit is absent.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1 9/25/12

Source: Facebook

Agent

YES!!!

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Agent

New single from F&L2 drops 26th June!