Mike Shinoda Discusses Direction of LIVING THINGS with NME

Discussion in 'News' started by Benjamin, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Dave has a solo album? :kappa:

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Not going off time wise at all nor am I saying it won't be creative.

Just doubt it will be on the level of ATS.

I know it will have plenty of merits.

stringsibanez

stringsibanez ...

I would also like to clarify that while your post played a part in reminding me of my post's sentiment, it wasn't exclusively specific to your remarks. I LOVE heavier music, but that isn't why I'm a Linkin Park fan. I don't sit around pining for their original style, however, I have at times felt, to a certain degree, that MTM and ATS were imbalanced in terms of the ratio of energetic to mellow songs. Some part of me missed something in the pace of the music.

(I realized a while ago that most of what I missed about "old-LP" was the energy level and to a certain degree, Mike rapping... I also never felt that LP were the same as the other Nu-bands (e.g. Korn, Limp Bizkit, early Papa Roach, etc.) that they were grouped with in that most of their "contemporaries" struck me as sludgy-metal-bands with rap-like vocals. I would have described early LP as high-energy Hip-Hop music with elements of rock/metal in place of traditional "beats". That is if anyone can see the difference in that distinction.)

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

People seem to already forget that the only song over 5 minutes from ATS was The Catalyst. I'm sure there are plenty of "creative" songs on Living Things. In all honestly, I don't think that lead singles give any indication of how an entire album will sound. WID certainly didn't sum up the sound of MTM, and neither did TC with ATS.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's a fair point, and apparently the band agrees because they made an effort to keep the tempo up on this new album.

Despite really not enjoying Burn It Down, I'm still anticipating this album. I feel like there will be some real gems on it.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I thought Burn It Down was a gem in itself, honestly.

But after hearing Mike's work on The Raid soundtrack, I'm so fucking excited for this album. I'm sure he's got more of that type of energy going on in this record, and I love it.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Burn It Down does have more energy than the majority of the songs the band has released as of late, not that lacking that extra oomph is a bad thing, but I am excited to see if the rest of Living Things contains the firecracker sound that they've talked about.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Exactly, I find it strange Mike said they're going back to shorter compact songs when their songs were never long to begin with. If you ignore TC, ATS was a pretty short album. Infact, they've always fallen under the 5 minute mark with songs. So unless they mean no song is over 4 minutes, this album isn't really going to feel shorter than any other record they've done.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The songs on "A Thousand Suns" just feel longer thanks to the occasional odd dynamic shift, the "unconventional" structures used in one or two songs and the depth of sonic textures that you could simply get lost in ... and even the band seem to have forgotten that, length-wise, the nine songs on that album don't differ too greatly from their past material. :)

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

So, in other words Linkin Park aren't writing an album, but a collection of songs instead? I don't understand what Mike is trying to explain here. I'm sure he doesn't want to spoil anything but he's been so vague when describing the album lately, it's getting a little worrisome. Like he's trying really, really hard to justify what ever is on this album beforehand.

One thing that concerns me about Mike's constant emphasis on "going back to their roots" is... what is there to go back to exactly? The band spent two albums trying to deviate away from the Nu-Metal sound and style, so much so that by the time we got A Thousand Suns, it was potentially overkill. But the thing is, even with the changes and additions to their sound, it's not like they ever left for a different genre and I would say that Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns both simply improved on the Linkin Park formula.

So what exactly are these "old" tools and why is it necessary to go back to them? I hate how he uses the word "toolbox" because here it sounds like he's openly acknowledging that despite having a nice shiny wrench that works just fine, he's going back to using the old, worn-out, rusty one in his toolbox because it "feels familiar" or because he just hasn't used it in a while. That's fine, but it's still an old, worn-out and rusty wrench. If Burn It Down is any indication, "back to their roots" sounds more like an excuse to make music that takes a lot less risks. If that's what people want, more power to them, but it's not something I'm excited for. But I'd be more than happy if they prove me wrong.

minuteforce

Yeah, this "roots" thing is getting kind of confusing. :/ "Burn It Down" only minimally references what the band did on "Hybrid Theory" and doesn't go "back to the roots" any more or less than anything on the band's previous two albums did. It's closer to the band's post-"Midnight" material than anything else

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Why did they have an interview with NME, the publication that gave them negative reviews on most of the things they've ever done? The gave negative reviews for "Papercut", "In the End", "Pts.OF.Athrty", Reanimation, "Somewhere I Belong", Collision Course and Minutes to Midnight. And of all albums, their ONE positive review was for Meteora.

Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

I love how someone on Youtube said that if Linkin Park stayed the same they would get the same response that the Call of Duty franchise is getting from many people. That being a bunch of complaints about being the same old games with no changes :p

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

No but I hear he is a good golfer :lol:

minuteforce

The Madden and FIFA games, on the other hand ... ;P

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This post sums up my feelings.

What "back to the roots" means to me is making short, snappy, "pop" (firecracker) songs. As you said, "less risky."

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

BacktoRoots: the original idea behind Hybrid Theory: Mashing together what each band member liked to make a new sound.

So, they're back to their roots, not in sound, but in spirit.

This makes sense, because going back to making an old sound (which wasn't old when it was new), wouldn't actually be returning to the roots. It's shallowly copying an older style. This way they're going back to the same frame of mind.

I once said that for ATS, Though the band seems to have the idea on purpose this time.

lpfan89

lpfan89 You will pay for what you've done

I have a simple question I'm hoping somebody can finally answer... if I preorder LIVING THINGS on itunes, will I get Burn it Down free and let me download it? I've heard if you preorder the album, you still have to buy the burn it down single.

Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

So spirit is the tool he's referring to is what you're saying?

20. minuteforce

Possible download issues aside, you do get a link to download the single after you pre-order the album, yes. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.