BURN IT DOWN Puzzle - Ongoing Progress (Full Puzzle Complete)

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emiltayeb

Emiltayeb Well-Known Member

How the hell can mike promise smoething , and not keeping it? i'm let down.

2. StanleyElite

StanleyElite So I let go watching you

Hey all! I am new here (just registered), but have been following this thread since closely since all 16 puzzle bits were available!
    Now like everyone here I spent A LONG time solving these, and I find it a bit sad that nothing has been said from LP about this! Been looking forward to those snippets for days :(
    Oh and on YouTube (hard to find, I got sent a link) there is a 2:30 version of what appears to be "Burn It Down", in bad quality!
    I havent listened to it, as I think it's so wrong listening to leaks but from comments below it sounds like they all believe it's BID!!

I have one question: How much have we looked into the possibility that "UNLOCKED. COME BACK." is another puzzle? LP's tweet suggest more are to come, and as 12 hours later nothing is up I beginn to wonder if it's not already there in plain sight!
    Just a thought!

3. YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Yup, still saw that last night. You mean the artwork announcement?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Yup. We're just sitting here bored to death waiting for the snippets to come.

5. YoMarques

Okay, thanks! Well, Adam did say last night that we should wait. As much as he looked like he was trolling us, I'm sure something will happen :)

6. StanleyElite

What time frame is that? How long ago and did he mention anything other than "soon"? ;D

7. YoMarques

It's 9am in here. He was on the LPU chat last night (around 11pm, maybe) and he said that we should wait. He also said that it was funny how we didn't know what was right or wrong about the puzzles, lol :p He was trolling, but he wouldn't say anything if the guys wouldn't have something planned soon, I think.

8. StanleyElite

OK thanks it's 10 am here, so I do believe it must be soon I mean 10 hours is quite a long time^^
    Haha that troll^^

9. lpfan89

lpfan89 You will pay for what you've done

Did he respond to anything about the impatient people in here being pissed off at LP over nothing happening after the puzzle? I'm sure they got a kick out of that lol.

10. YoMarques

I believe they'll have something up on the site tonight... Or at least they will tweet something about it. ANYTHING, please :p

11. YoMarques

Not directly about that. He did say it was fun to see us "desoriented" about the puzzles. Oh, and when someone asked him about Living Things, he said he had no idea about what that might be xD Something like "Looks like a dead URL to me." :p

12. ArisLP

ArisLP Active Member

pffffffffff too bad...i have been following you guys from the start(i'm not into the hacking stuff) and i'm bored....every single day i keep refreshing and refreshing and refreshing all of lp's twitter,your's twitter....mannnnnnnnn that was my whole week....refreshing all f!@@ day...and here we are..12th of april...4 more days...

shout out for all your efforts..!!!!!!!!

;)

13. StanleyElite

Haha nice one :D Yeah I think it's kinda timed badly from LP...if it was like still 2 weeks to release the hype would be massive ;D

14. ArisLP

ArisLP Active Member

i speak only of the truth...xD

no i don't want to think how it would be if it was still 2 weeks from release...and i honestly believe they started the hype too early...they should have waited until 13th of April to announce the new single will be out at 16th... :p

15. Narc85

Narc85 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, this entire campaign has been handled with about as much grace as a sledge hammer. Digital marketing campaigns can be an extremely useful tool and are gaining momentum in terms of effectiveness in marketing brands/products/etc. I studied marketing at university and now work in the field, so I get to experience campaigns and campaign proposals like this every day as part of my work.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that this entire activity was devised to generate excitement around the single release. It's one thing when you're being cagey with clues, encouraging fans to discover things for themselves... but to devolve to the point where certain band members and people in their management team are perceived to be poking fun at the fans (see above quote)? That's something else entirely. I know this may not be their intention, but that's how it has been perceived by a large number of people (and hey, you guys coined the term 'Trollnoda' right? ;D).

That, to me, screams poor execution of a campaign that had the potential to be brilliant. I personally haven't got too involved with the solving of the puzzles, but have followed the progress that has been made here with a very careful eye. So I completely understand why many of you feel cheated by it.

Yes, I am aware that there is more coming, but as many others have said, Mike promised something with this puzzle that no-one got. It has now reached the point where even if they were to offer everyone aforementioned 'snippets', we are literally days away from the full single being available anyway - is it still worth it? Sure, they don't owe us anything, but if that's the case, why bother mentioning snippets in the first place and encourage thousands of people to put so much time into something, only to come out of it feeling resentful. No matter the intention, if participants exit the campaign feeling like that - then it is bad marketing, pure and simple.

Sure, you could argue that any publicity is good publicity - but not the case when you're expecting longevity out of your brand, or even just the campaign. I'm willing to bet a significant percentage won't even bother touching the next piece of the puzzle (pardon the pun) after this stunt.

The best example of a campaign similar to this is the one they used for The Dark Knight film back in '08. If I recall correctly, there was very little influence from the creators of the project or anyone affiliated with the film. However, there were real, tangible rewards for the effort that fans put in and guess what... that film ended up generating over $1 billion worldwide in box office receipts. An excellent campaign that is still used as the benchmark for that type of activity today.

And before anyone attacks, please know that I am not complaining about this... merely remarking on something that I find quite interesting.

16. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Inb4 raeg at the above post.

I agree with everything he said, though. :3

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  17. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

+1. Bravo, sir. Well-articulated and you clearly put thought into it. Would read again.

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I actually agree. It really feels like they fucked up and are now shoving everything under the carpet. ;"

19. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Narc85, winner.

20. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

In my opinion, the best thing for PR would be to release the song-- the full song. It'd sate the fans that feel resentment, and make the puzzles all worth it. This is -my- opinion though, so take it for what it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.