BURN IT DOWN Puzzle - Ongoing Progress (Full Puzzle Complete)

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro18

Pedro18 Well-Known Member

Is it 100% certain that solving the cipher will give a snippet?

It could be that (as it is originally said by Mike, "Unlock puzzles, hear parts of our new single first.") solving the puzzle (the complete one) will give the snippet, and completing/solving the chiper using those numbers will give the easter egg, that could be the album name, a track list, etc.

2. michalangelo

michalangelo Well-Known Member

CODE2.JPG
    Maybe instead of substracting we should add some numbers? I added 4-4 numbers..damn it's really confusing :p

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

FYI: Assuming the Terminal plays a key in unlocking the final result...per my friend Neil, although the "SUDO CHEATS" are usually around 11-12 characters, the maximum input is 25 characters. So that means that whatever the password is (assuming that we are indeed unscrambling a "password") cannot exceed 25 characters. Keep that in mind when thinking up phrases.

4. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Has anyone tried dividing these numbers instead of subtracting them? Not sure if it was thrown out there.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It probably won't, seeing as all the functions allowable via the terminal can be seen directly in the source code, and we know what all of them do.

7. Fatal

Fatal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Old-time and inactive LPA member here!

Been lurking in this thread for a while and although I can't contribute to all this smart logic you guys are putting on display, I decided to make a mock-up of what should be close to the final product. I used Paint so it isn't very edgy or perfect. But, it's a visual representation that I believe will be the final product.

If this was already done, excuse this post

8. youknowhu

youknowhu Well-Known Member

I tried dividing, and since they aren't all divisible, I used the remainders...ended up with a bunch of 1s, 2s, and 3s (A, B, C)...don't think that's right.

9. sadeqali05

sadeqali05 Well-Known Member

Why are we trying new methods if we know that stl22's method was close? Also, terminal doesn't call to an outside source either because that would have been in the code as well.

10. Merennis

Merennis my bones are buried in the backyard

i spent the last few hours doing different calculations with these numbers and the best is still this LIV/_NG_TH_/N_/_ version i think.
    with all the other versions the new letters just didn't fit.
    maybe that's just because i've read 'living things' soooo many times already that it started to sound normal opposed to everything else.. : D

11. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Who knows, maybe the only reason he was close is because he's using the right numbers. There's no way to know if his method is right or not.

12. Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

A fellow LPA'er has stated that he programs java for a living and he went over every line of code and said that how the code is currently set up there cannot be anymore commands for the Terminal. This is assuming he didn't miss anything, etc. But I also believe when Mike said that only 1 person was the closest. (and what was said by Mike to be the closest) had nothing to do with Terminal commands.

Just throwing that out there; I believe "Living Things" has more of a chance at validity than more Terminal commands if that puts it into perspective.

13. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It has, but thank you anyways :).

Feel free to contribute any ideas you have towards solving the puzzle.

14. DJSchirms

DJSchirms Member

Hey, i just had sent this to Derek but now here it is:

Hi :)

I got some ideas for the Puzzle, but i cant post them cause I'm new and i do not get the email :(

But maybe you can post this or think about this (i have to write this to you else i cant sleep ;D):

(Post #4526)

I also thought all the time about the first numbers an these letters somehow seem to be the song. Cause the puzzle is about the song right?

So you got 16 numbers like 16 bars.
    the first numbers are always a letter you got a (for example) chord for (or melody, dont know).

the 0 would mean maybe an empty bar with no chord (and only drums or w/e).

With it you would have:

E | D | C | 0
    _ (maybe G) | F | E | _ (i guess 0 again)
    D | C | _ (dont know) | 0
    G | _ | 0 | _

for me that seems like a typical "build" for a song. but maybe thats just a mindgame.

And btw: The images are created with a new software XMP from Adobe, and the code is decoded into base64.

I hope you can post this for everyone :)

Peace!

----

And: What i do not know what the other letters mean in the context then..

15. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

The problem with our "solutions" is that we have made too many assumptions to get to where we are now. We assume our subtracting formula is accurate and we are assuming that the solution has to be simply alphabets. By assuming these things without any clue, we are also placing ourselves in numerous roadblocks. We need to actually find a key to the solution instead of wildly guessing solutions like we have. We know these numbers are the correct numbers from Mike's tweet. That's it. Now let's figure out how these numbers are to be used. It may or may not be just random mathematical equations

16. ownzers

ownzers Member

Just curious why it can not be "Living Thing"

If you line up the letters in the same way as the grid you get:

L I V -
    ? N G ?
    T H ? -
    N ? - ?

And make the last column blank

L I V -
    I N G -
    T H I -
    N G - -

17. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

First off, welcome to the site.

Second off, we've pretty much waived the idea that Living Things is the album title. Xero21 made a post a few pages back proving that it can't be Living Things. ;)

18. sumofxero

sumofxero Member

Yeah I saw that in the amount of time it took for me to go take a food handlers test and come back the theory got proved wrong so that post ended up being invalid haha oh well but thank you for the welcome!

19. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Because in the key we're using to translate, "9" is equal to "i"

the "?" you put in the second row is where a "0" is. and in the kind of puzzle, two numbers cannot equal the same letter.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  20. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Quoting for emphasis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.