New Album Exclusive: Chester Talks To Kerrang! Magazine

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Actually... in an interview from 2011 I distinctly remember him saying he loves screaming.

He just doesn't want to be known as "that guy who can ONLY scream". Which I agree, I think his singing style in songs like In Pieces and Pretend To Be are incredible. But at the same time I think it would be a sad, sad day if Chester stopped screaming completely on new albums. We need those aggressive breakouts like Blackout on ATS and No More Sorrow/Given Up on MTM. Speaking of which, Blackout is really the only song from A Thousand Suns I regularly listen to anymore, mostly due to the screaming and his awesome scatting.

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

so excited!!!:awesome:

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Maybe he will scream positive messages. :awesome:

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

"BLACKOUT, ICE CREAM AND PIE!"

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

As for me, I will be helping the LPA by getting up early tomorrow morning and reading this new article from whoever posts it :awesome:

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I think Chester just talks and says what he feels at the moment. I did directly quote him from LA Times. I wouldn't know why he'd be known as the guy that can only scream though..."Numb" and "In The End" are their most popular songs.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

So by what you're implying, in 2010 Chester said he doesn't want to scream anymore. Yet in 2011 he says he loves it again. So if we were to consider what he feels "at the moment", it would be more likely that he loves screaming than not. I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just repeating what he said last year. Also, about that quote, he says "I made up my mind three years ago: I don't want to scream anymore" when in that timespan, the band brought out Wretches & Kings and Blackout.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

This. Although we won't know what Chester's saying until we read the article and we won't know what the album sounds like until we listen to every song, this makes sense. I don't think they would do this, but if they did, it would probably be through Warner Brother's pressure. Only time will tell, though.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Just because the album is song-based and has more of a "firecracker" sound to it, doesn't mean in the slightest that it's a conventional pop-record or a step back from A Thousand Suns. Both Dave and Mike (the two most consistently alike in terms of "opinions") have both said they're trying out unique and interesting song structures. What "song-based" could mean is that they're focusing a lot more on the lyrical content and the song structures themselves instead of just creating sprawling soundscapes like they did on ATS.

And honestly that's not a bad thing. I loved ATS and consider it their greatest work to date, but I feel some of the songs just kinda go off on a wild tangent before being "pulled back" at the end. It'd be great to take the improved songwriting abilities from ATS, and combine it with the pop sensibilities of their earlier career, while moving forward with the sound and making something different than previous works. Which by interviews, this is sounding like it's nothing like their older works...which even Mike himself has gone out of his way to say ("it doesn't sound like Hybrid Theory").

In the end :)rastamike:) we're speculating on something we haven't heard. We went around in circles with ATS and believed we were so certain and correct of how it'd sound ("MTM with more electronics") and the album left us gobsmacked and totally in surprise. Plain and simple: We don't know crap and speculating only means we'll be that much more surprised when the album is a complete 180 from what we predicted.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I'm not implying that Chester said this in 2010, because HE SAID IT IN AN INTERVIEW IN LA TIMES IN 2010.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/14/entertainment/la-et-linkin-park-20100914

He said that he loves screaming in 2011. He also said that MtM would be the heaviest LP record. He has also stated that this new LP album would be polarizing and have political themes. Do you understand why I said what I said? It sounds like you think I'm trying to push the quote in this article, when I'm saying that Chester says a bunch of shit...

also, LP forces Brad to do drum solos even though he doesn't like them, Wretches & Kings isn't screaming, and if he didn't feel like he didn't want to scream anymore in 2010, why would he mention something from 3yrs ago that he didn't feel at the time? Because he says alotta shit.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

That really would be cruel if they forced Brad to do a drum solo. :p "You want me to do... what??" The whole band, crew and crowd, standing in silence, watching as Brad climbs up to the drum kit, awkwardly sits down, picks up the sticks and starts hitting one drum at a time.

I'm just kidding dude, I know what you're trying to say

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

m_macdonald: Troll lvl 20.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

More like "Endgame" in it's entirety...

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Fixed that for you. :awesome:

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

my mind is concluding that they are going to make the album very meaningful:awesome:

lpkilljoy

lpkilljoy Well-Known Member

i wish Chester can sing loud and high like on Into You or the ending or Walking In Circles (dead by sunrise)

i don't mind him not screaming in songs. the new songs may be like Iridescent but the most positive song made by LP is The Messenger. that song is the best!

the postive found in dark moments, what comes to mind is Robot Boy and The Messenger, will possibly be the most inspiring songs to take over the music industry (well, besides the band quintessentially)

ps.

the PURPLE revolution is still going on!!! i'm a lone rebel

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Agreed, Robot Boy is a great example of positivity in darkness! Even Blackout's second half is a positive lyric to the initial dark lyrics from chester. I can't wait to hear the new lyrics!

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Absolutely this could be true. It just feels suspicious to me because of the timing. Just when they started to get "out there" with their music, they're stopping? and A Thousand Suns is really not that out there. It's certainly not pop, but it's no Massive Attack album either. "Sprawling soundscapes" is a bit of a stretch.

But no, I'm not saying for sure that they're stepping backwards and trying to appease the fans, I'm just saying that the words they've been using + the timing of it all (an extremely quick follow-up to an album that received a mixed reception) makes me a tad anxious.

But, if it turns out they way you suggested it might Derek, I'll love it. Your hypothetical reminded me of an MGMT album.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

#ijustlostthegame

20. LP13413

LP13413 Linkin Park fan

More like Rise Against in general

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.