Bands Whose Songs All Sound The Same To You

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Apr 12, 2011.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Oh, of course. That's why I said there are exceptions.

Brokencyde.
    Screaming + terrible beat = brokencyde =/=music
    [video=youtube;kxC2QxYQ4j8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxC2QxYQ4j8[/video]
    [video=youtube;MoLUc6cqAOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoLUc6cqAOU[/video]

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

If you're being serious, this kind of offends me. Is our whole country defined by a shitty bogan pub song? Savage Garden are also absolute shit/fuck new Silverchair/Midnight Oil maybe but their politics have way overshadowed the band.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Peter Garrett was once upon a time a good singer not just a shitty hypocritical politician, you know.

Btw. Have you EVER listened to any other Cold Chisel songs other than Khe Sanh? If not, I prove my point.

Old Silverchair was great albums like Frogstomp and Neon Ballroom. Now the new silverchair.....I'll break LPA rules if I openly say what I think of Daniel Johns nowadays.

And there was NOTHING wrong with Savage Garden, especially with the first album. So shitfuck you. :p

LPA**

When I listened to Amy Lee for the first time, I really thought it was a Howler Monkey singing.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Gotta disagree.
    Young Modern is not what we wanted or expected from them, but is actually a really interesting album. I only love it when I'm in a really, really good mood, but musically it is actually considerably better than either Frogstomp or Freak Show.

Midnight Oil are so much more than politics guys. Most of the lyrics aren't political as such, it's just them pouring out their love (and sometimes disgust) for this country. Sure Beds Are Burning was political, and they didn't like beaches having carparks put over them, but it's so much more than politics.

Also yeah, Cold Chisel are so much more than just Khe Sanh, but they just aren't unique enough to put them on that pedestal with Midnight Oil for me.

Anyway, on topic...
    As much as I like them at times, Staind. Most of the first few albums is just mud.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

System Of A Down

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I just listened to like twenty seconds of another Cold Chisel song, had to turn it off though it was horrible. There's no denying in general that Australia really hasn't made much of a contribution to music at all, but occasionally we're okay.

[youtube]qLrnkK2YEcE[/youtube]
    [youtube]Q-GueNOKolo[/youtube]
    [youtube]DAMLYm-8rLA[/youtube]
    [youtube]Ty7Hm-mfOq8[/youtube]
    [youtube]toFF3OvBR94[/youtube]
    /dump.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

This sounds like this sounds like this sounds like this sounds like this?

Out of curiosity, what Tool did you try? Albums or just random songs?
    They have their own distinct sound for sure, but their progression from album to album is remarkable.

As for Australian bands, I really like the John Butler Trio.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Lol. Tool does pretty much sound the same if you're not a fan already, though. I love them and really don't think they've progressed much over the course of their career.

They use so much distortion and crazy drums that most of the songs can be mistaken for each other if you don't know them. Then their other songs use trippy ambience and then break into the distortion. The only thing that can sound unique is Maynard's voice.

Tomozaurus

Tomozaurus Well-Known Member

I tried whole albums and i could barely distinguish when one song ended and another began. Beleive me, I WANT to like them, I just can't for some reason.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Metalcore=Devil Wears Prada,Attack Attack, (early) Avenged Sevenfold ETC

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

And what about the White Stripes?! :derek:

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Go back to my last post, listen to the first link (Jerk-Off, circa '92) then listen to the last link (10,000 Days, 2006), then come back and explain how little they progressed in no less than 1,500 words.;)

I could say I'm having/have had the same "problem" with some albums I bought recently. Opeths "My Arms, Your Hearse" & "Morningrise". Prog Metal, long songs, lots going on, lots to take in. I already knew going in I'd need several listens to get used to the ins and outs of the songs. I've listened to each 6 or 7 times now and I'm only just starting to wrap my head around them.

I'd suggest going at Tool the same way given the nature of a lot of their music (these are all like 70+ minute albums. Another thing to note is these are album albums, not collections of songs. So if you liked that about ATS it's something to keep in mind).
    Pick one album (I'd go with Lateralus), listen to it 10-12 times to give yourself a chance to process what's going on. If you don't like it after that, then they ain't for you.

I mean take a 3min, standard structured song and then a 10min, intricately structured song that has plenty of tempo, key & time changes.
    Which is going to take longer to get to know?

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Breaking Benjamin yet. As much as I enjoy the band, the majority of their tracks sound identical.

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

You have to be being sarcastic. Coheed's music is incredibly varied between albums and even the songs on those albums.

Yeah, hate to jump on bandwagons, but Nickelback's stuff really does all sound the same to me.

Tomozaurus

Tomozaurus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Agreed. I like them too, but a very large portion of their songs sound extremely similar.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

They've been making long, trippy, distorted songs their whole career. 10,000 Days was no different.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    Gloomy Mushroom

Wow it took someone 4 pages to bring up The White Stripes? LOL I thought that would be the number one band mentioned.

As for Tool, I would really hate for them to change their sound. Although I must admit Stinkfist and Schism do sound very familiar to each other. And the fact that Tool sounds nothing like A Perfect Circle, makes Tool even a greater band.

Gloomy Mushroom

Wow it took someone 4 pages to bring up The White Stripes? LOL I thought that would be the number one band mentioned.

As for Tool, I would really hate for them to change their sound. Although I must admit Stinkfist and Schism do sound very familiar to each other. And the fact that Tool sounds nothing like A Perfect Circle, makes Tool even a greater band.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Music is subjective. You hear what you hear. What may sound identical to one person may be worlds apart to another.