Random Thoughts 23!

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Luke, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

So 2 people automatically means the system is failing?

That makes up a total of 2 schools from 2 states out of how many schools in how many states?

My school was made up of middle-class and lower-class kids. We're talking about a 70-80% Mexican (not even Hispanic, I'm talking MEXICAN) population. To be quite honest it's not the system that is failing. It's the intelligence of the people. If you're going to expect to get babied into the system, of course it's not going to work. I've seen friends fail through because of NOT THE SYSTEM, but of pure stupidity on their parts. To be honest, besides those that can't exactly help it, if you fail through the system you're stupid. I slept through classes. Like, I mean SLEPT THROUGH CLASSES. I could probably count the days that I stayed awake in Calculus on my fingers. I passed. The system is already babying to the slackers enough as it is. At this point, if you fail through because you feel like you're gangster, that's your fault.

The system isn't meant to straighten up students who don't want to be straightened up. These OGs can be whoever they want and still get through the system. I know drug dealers with bachelor degrees. I know dropouts on 6-figure salaries. You get what you want from the education system.

All in all, it's not the system that's fucked. It's the people. The students.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

2. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Dean don't need no education

3. Minus

Dean don't need no thought control

4. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

True, but to me the issue has far more to do with the education provided, not student performance. There's too much focus on standardized test scores (thanks, No Child Left Behind!) and not enough focus on engaging students and nurturing creativity.

But if you're satisfied with your education, that's all that matters, I guess.

5. Minus

Again, that's more of a school-to-school basis.

I've seen my fair share of creativity in schools, from building our own lesson plans to many class activities such as rewriting chapters of books in the style of other writing periods, creating our own 'worlds' and justifying how these continent(s) were created and the ecology that would develop, creative writing was big, ridiculous math riddles, and the like.

Hell, the computer science classes combined forces to attempt to develop our own FPS.

6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The United States education system needs work. You can try to stand behind your 'flawless education' Minus, but the fact of the matter is that some kids are not learning, and others aren't learning as well as they should. Recent research by The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development [as of 2008] places the United States as 18th among the 36 industrialized nations in regards to education. We're not even in the top 10. There's no way you can look at that, and call that a "successful public school system" when we used to lead the world in secondary education, and now aren't even close to being a leader in education. We're the 3rd largest country in the world, and have a shitty educating ranking. That's unacceptable. Yes a lot of it has to do with the people, but it's also a lot with how we are as a country. There's no discipline and we let absolutely moronic and uneducated stuff on our televisions all the time, influencing people to act like jackasses and not give a damn about who they grow up to be or how they carry themselves. The whole damn country is going down the drain and it's vomit inducing about how we don't seem to care about it at all, and let stupid shit play on the radio and bullshit like Jersey Shore on TV and elect absolute idiots into office. No wonder we're ranked 18th. This country is overrun by idiots.

7. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Thank you for that :)

I found a chart as well

[​IMG]

as you can clearly see, this country is below the graduation average for these select OECD (or Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) countries

http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=1653

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. Dean

No dark sarcasm in the classroom
    Teachers leave those Deans alone

9. Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

If you truly want to learn you'll go beyond your teachers and do outside work to learn it yourself. They main reason that "the system fails" is because most American students are too fucking lazy to do the work to learn the material. [/debate]

10. Minus

Let's take a look here...

Percentage of population aged 25-64 that have attained a tertiary level of education (OECD Countries)
    1. United Kingdom 53.82 (New)
    2. Japan 48.28 (New)
    3. Australia 42.19 (New)
    4. U.S.A 32.57 (New)
    5. Russia 28.88 (New)

Hmmm....

11. Dean

Too right.

12. Minus

13. Missing_Linkin

Missing_Linkin Member

Humm soo ya i'm seeing LIGHTSmusprime aka LIGHTS for the 3rd time...Hell ya this time her 3 keytar's better work....

14. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I feelz SmaRt

15. Tim

16. Dean

[​IMG]

17. Minus

Timothy, if 40% of our population acquires a tertiary education, that means 40% or more acquires a secondary education or the equivalent. Just sayin'.

18. Tim

I wasn't trying to make a point, I was just explaining why the two statistics from the same source were different. :)

This would be a good topic for serious chat.

19. Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

WHAT THE.

RANDOM THOUGHTS, YOU ARE NOT FUN TODAY.

20. Tim

Education is always fun. :awesome:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.