We don't wish you a Merry Christmas. We wish you a Happy Holidays!

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Glenn, Dec 20, 2005.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

I personally think people are too damn uptight about everything. Who the hell cares what a person says, as long as it has the same good message behind it? You know what I say? Merry fucking Christmas, happy fucking New Year.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Hah...I basically agree with everyone. Some funny expressions too :p

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

About Halloween, you shouldn't compare it. It's not a religious holiday anyway.

I don't say Happy Holidays. I actually find that to be stupid. I say Happy (insert holiday here) to the people who celebrate that holiday. If someone celebrates Christmas, I say Merry Christmas. Same with Jewish people, and so on.

The fuss about it is stupid. That's all I can say.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

[​IMG]

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

that is why i compared halloween, cuz it isn;t a religious holiday. people can celebrate holidays and not be religious about it.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

I don't really mind how most people are saying Happy Holidays (I'm Catholic), but it kind of annoys me how everything has to be politically correct.

Caitlin

Caitlin Guest

Isn't "Holidays" derived from "Holy Days" ..? Which I guess would kinda defeat the purpose of being politically correct. Or something.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Haha!

Dictionary.com Says:

hol·i·day
    n.
    A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
    A religious feast day; a holy day.
    Chiefly British. A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.

intr.v. Chiefly British holi·dayed, holi·day·ing, holi·days
    To pass a holiday or vacation.

[Middle English holidai, holy day, from Old English hlig dæg : hlig, holy; see holy + dæg, day; see day.]

Linja

Linja Good. Be magnanimous. Über Member

I don't actually mind what people say, be it Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah. I don't know why this offends some people. I'm Muslim, but that doesn't mean I'm really religious and disregard all other holidays. I actually celebrate a lot of other vacations and holidays.

mathew51b

mathew51b Well-Known Member

well, england is going through the whole, 'you cant call christmas lights christmas lights, they are winter lights'. but what i dont see is, that christmas and all things to do with it are to do with Christians, right, so let it be, and there only christmas lights if there up at christmas.

also, its the whole changing something to try not to offend people, not because it has offended people.

okie, off topic now, but i think that people should be able to say what they want, what they feel more appropiate to,

everything im sayind today seems to contradict it seld, oh well

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i don't know, i don't deal with religious fanatics on a regular basis so i don't have to listen to the bullshit about people being religiously correct and all that.