Ugly

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by May, Oct 22, 2004.

May

May Ambient

ok well on Livejournal there's a community called Uglygoths
    and they just put pictures of people they believe to be "ugly"
    and i've seen some very attractive people who they are calling ugly. And everyday we all think this. "Oh she's hot" or "eww he's ugly" but have you actually sat there and thought what these words mean?
    I know it's about opinion but I'm just curious to see what you guys think ugly means.

To me ugly is someone or something that is unattractive and that you don't find pleasing.

Evi

Evi Super Member LPA Super Member

Well I'm not a guy but I'm gong to answer this;)

Too me, Ugly is not being who you are, It doesn't matter if your pretty or not.

May

May Ambient

i didn't say only guys could reply to this thread 0_o

.Kevin

.Kevin Super Member

if people call their self ugly and they aren't you can't do much to change it they think they are just like anorexia you can say their thin but they just won't belief it . The just must find out their self that they aren't

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

To me, ugly people are people who have no.. i don't know the word? who, apart from their looks, come over as a beanbag. Who think little of themselves.

someone can be unattractive, but with a good dose of self-esteem, even that is no problem. when someone's got no self-esteem, the unacttrativeness or even attractiveness becomes uglyness.

Or a person must be so unattractive that I cannot look for long at such a person, but that happens rarely.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Ugliness is a psychological disorder, to me. If you think you're ugly, and keep feeding on that, you will become ugly.

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

Ugly is the extent of calling something you can't call beautiful.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Ugly is something that you do not find pleasing to the eye. This does not mean that it neccesarily is ugly.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

one person could find someone ugly, yet another could find them hot, its a matter of opinion, not fact

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

On the topic of uglyness concerning people:

A while ago (long time), there was a broadcast on BBC showing the geometric mask of a perfect person. It's the blueprint we all have in our head, with wich we compare people's looks. And, they had proof that the closer people fitted in that mask, the more attractive they generally were (excluding the non-physical attraction).

Another strange fact was that they could prove that the fact that baby's only seem to like to look at beautiful faces has a lot to do with the fact that they adhere to their 'internal blueprint' more.

I can't seem to find the bbc link anymore, but i'll keep searching.

They developed the mask some more, one for males and one for females and already it is used in almost every cosmetic clinique in America.

For more information, click here.

After that they also developed 2 side masks. They're now developing a real 3D mask, but it isn't finished yet as far as I know.

I'll still try to find the original articles. The only one I could find so fast was of a teacher on a university, photographing students, trying to see if it really defined physical attractiveness or not:

see here.

It's got something to do with the golden ratio, for all of you mathematically inclined.

All in all, it's quite amazing. It does fit, generally.. If you take known models for example, they fit the mask perfectly!

Edit: You can even try it yourself, you can download a frontal and a side mask, make a picture of yourself with your head on a certain angle (perfectly right), and see how good *you* fit in the mask!

NofxPants

NofxPants Does your house have stairs?

Someone with no self-confidence or low self esteem.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

*looks to Dedicated*

Nuff said ;)

:p

Justkiddiingg..:p

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I'm saying that too.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

DiSiLLUSiON: wow that whole face thing is really interesting, im sure there is really something to that.

and to all those ppl who say that uglyness is someone w/ no self confidence: how many of you first judge a person my how they act rather than what they look like? whether ur putting then is an ethnic class or judging if they are blonde or a red head, you are always first judging them by thier physical appearence, whether u meant to or not. it is impossible to escape because we base so much of our lives on physical "beuty". the true test is whether u can get over ur first impression of them on go on to find out about who they are and make the true oppini9on of them from there.

i think that uglyness is one's own oppinion, but we are shaped to think what is "beutiful" or "ugly" from the beginings on life, just like most oter behaviors.

if u want an expation on what i said pm or im me or something

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

It's a matter of opinion. There is no definition for "ugly" or "beautiful."

Evi

Evi Super Member LPA Super Member

i didn't say only guys could reply to this thread 0_o [/b][/quote]
    Sorry, I misunderstood

May

May Ambient

i've actually heard about that during fashion class.
    it's actually really interesting

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I use the terms ugly and beautiful only for looks. To describe their personality I'll use different terms like: bitch, nice, etc.

tunnelvision

tunnelvision Active Member

ugly is what society defines as acceptable.the same goes for sexy or normal as well. back in the day, it was the norm to wear those massive big wigs around everywhere and for ladies to have oversized butts by wearing a fake one. these days, no-one would be caught dead like that!! but back then, it was 'cool', so it was acceptable. in shakespearean times, if a woman wore makeup, then it meant she WAS ugly as she couldnt have natural beauty so she has to wear fake beauty instead. (quote 'thou art painted maypole!!' from a midsummer nights dream). if she did this she was considered, for lack of a better word, a tryhard. these days its this fake beauty that makes us socially acceptable, after all, no self respecting DECENT woman would walk out of the house without her mascaraeyelinerlipstickeyeshadowconcealerfoundationblusher and god knows what else packed onto her face because its socially unacceptable if people can see that your eyelashes ARENT in actual fact three inches long, you have a tiny scar blow your left eye, your cheeks are really pale and dull, and your lips arent plump and rosy like the girl on the ad. ugly is the picture that society paints and unfortunately most of us succumb to the pressures of it and ruin the natural beauty we already held. everyone is born beautiful, its how we live our lives that make us ugly.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

i think debs worded it perfectly. defining what ugly means isnt as complicated as trying to explain your opinion on what you believe ugly is..

..if that makes sense