Stream Linkin Park's The Hunting Party on iTunes in Full

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Jun 9, 2014.

1. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

1. I love the little interludes in between.
    2. I will definitely have to get this on CD; the iTunes version sounds compressed to shit.

2. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

If anyone is familiar with Kanye West's work, this album almost like Linkin Park's version of "yeezus".

I realize dropping Kanye West's name in a linkin park forum is a death wish. But both albums are very aggressive, "cutting edge" and seemed to be making a statement for making a statement's sake.

I can't be the only one who would've liked to hear what mike was bringing to the table with the "indie pop" stuff that was scrapped. I for one enjoy all the bands that he was roasting on leading up to this album's release.

I never thought this day would come- but maybe I've outgrown linkin park. Or more likely, our paths have diverged. Hopefully they come back together at some point.

3. tallmarkymark

tallmarkymark Linkin Park. Circa Survive. My Morning Jacket.

Having to wait until the album comes in the mail is going to be the hardest thing ever.
    I see a lot of positivity from the thread in regards to the album, but I have the will power to refrain from listening to it now!
    For the experience!

4. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I actually dig the fact that, for the most part, THP doesn't have the classic LP vibe you guys are talking about.

It makes the experience more fresh. Now, I'm just imagining the face of those casual fans buying the record thinking it'll be in the same vein of Living Things. The change in style between both record is unbelievable ahah

5. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I understand what fans such as yourself clamor for, and there are numerous bands that have successfully implemented the approach that you seek. Sevendust comes to mind.

I believe that the band has pretty much hammered in their mission statement over the past 8 years. They will continue to be abrupt and unpredictable with every record release. To hold out for a possible complete retread or derivative of Hybrid Theory or Meteora is silly.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. mastae

mastae Some Honky

I'd say just diverged. I really disliked Living Things because of how heavy the electronics were in a lot of that music. But with LP, the great thing is if you don't like album 4, just wait until album 5 and maybe you'll really dig it since they're always trying new approaches to their sound. Who knows, maybe they do something more indie next time around?

7. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

This is definitely true. It's like LP decides to throw a dart at a "genre dartboard" before every release. Electronica, folk, metal, screamo, hiphop, acoustic , the list goes on of what these dudes have dipped their pen into over the years.

8. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I salute you sir.

9. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I would never want a retreat, ATS was by far their best album for me. I'm lovin' their changes, it's just that I was never a heavy rock fan is all.

PS: Apologies for double posting.

10. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Sorry, I meant to say 'retread' not 'retreat'.

11. KrylonShadow

KrylonShadow Well-Known Member

It is, of course, silly to argue what the "LP sound" is, especially since LP has spent their career trying to avoid being pigeonholed into one sound (across all their albums, I would say on specific albums including this one, they did the opposite, "genre dartboard" as Jason put it).

What LP is to each of us is different. They have so many different types of songs from different genres that are often even uncategorizable. Personally, this is what I like to get out of my LP:

I have unlimited love for HT and Meteora. It is purely bias and will never change.
    But here are the post-Meteora tracks that are probably in my top LP songs:
    QWERTY (Live)
    In Between
    TLTGYA
    No Roads Left
    WTCFM
    The Catalyst
    LITE
    Primo

QWERTY and LITE just sound like old LP, so that's cheating. The rest of them, however, evoke the same feeling I get from HT and Meteora despite sounding different. It's the LP touch. To me, those songs either have some deep meaning that you can relate to and think about forever, or some orgasmic sound that you've never heard before that still surprises you every time. Particularly, Primo always sends me deep into thought, and WTCFM makes me jizz after the second chorus.

I didn't get those feelings from any track on this album. It could develop over time, but all of the above songs hit me since the first listen.

12. ChrisLinkinPark

ChrisLinkinPark New Member

My thoughts on each track:
    KTTK - Read reviews but they couldn't prepare you for what I heard. My favorite heavy LP song to date and intrigued as to how it comes across live.
    AFN - This is made by Mike and his rapping. The flow is perfect just reminds me of Fort Minor.
    GATS - Loved the song when it came out and love it even more. Especially where it fits into the whole album.
    TS - Standard LP Instrumental, preps you for the next part of THP.
    War - Not sure what to think. I enjoyed the punk edge as its very different however, its just too short and is almost exactly like VICTIMIZED from LT.
    Wastelands - Heard it before today but loved the rapping and guitars but thought it missed a scream or something at the guitar breakdown.
    UIG - I love the music side of it but would love the lyrics to be slightly more creative. Decent none the less.
    Rebellion - Heard this before today too but loved it especially Mike's singing as it reminded me a bit of No Roads Left for some reason.
    MTG - Wasn't a big lover of this song (the only one really) only one where nothing stood out to me, was just meh.
    Drawbar - Good instrumental and lead up to Final Masquerade.
    FM - In my opinion, one of the best ballad/softer songs/whatever you wanna call it that they've done. The drums and guitar are perfect with the vocals and I was really surprised with this track. Also a good cool down.
    ALITS - Up there with Numb (my all-time favorite LP track) with the best endings to an album. The soft build up, intense middle and then it is brought back down again at the end.

Overall:
    Mike killed it (in a good way) whether he sang or rapped
    Brad and Rob finally came out of their instrument shell, Brad especially. Top notch!
    Where has Joe Hahn gone?
    In my opinion the song quality is up there with HT. I can't compare it to ATS as I didn't like many songs individually from that but as an album is was one of the greatest. But essentially it is a HT and MTM mash-up and I love it!

13. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

:hug:

14. hi_c21

hi_c21 Figure.21

I don't understand the overwhelming love for War, or dislike for All for Nothing. And UIG seems to fit a lot more than I thought it would. But a lengthier interlude into it off of Wastelands would have helped.

15. Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

This album is so fucking crazy, heavy, experimental, weird, raw, beautiful, melodic, bold... it's a statement. It reminds of ATS in spirit. Sounds like someone on a mission. It's gonna take some time for me to process this before I give it my final judgement. But my first impression is: I can't believe Linkin Park made this. In a fucking awesome way.

16. hi_c21

hi_c21 Figure.21

It sounds like they had FUN making this. A lot.

17. TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

I love All For Nothing!!

18. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i hate it.

War is also far from a great track

19. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yep, same here.

About War, do you guys still have Joe description of it in mind ? Because it makes the song even more awesome :lol:

20. Cylock_Dnb

Cylock_Dnb Well-Known Member

The Summoning is Empty Spaces' hot ass older cousin.

BTW:
    W H E R E T H E F U C K I S J O E ?