May 9, 2015 - Las Vegas, NV: Rock in Rio USA

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 8, 2015.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Rock in Rio has never been a Rock Festival really despite the name

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I thought wastelands was a pretty strong debut.

I'm sure I'll go crazy for this song, but I'm missing GATS :( Hopefully Rocklahoma gives them more time and they play both. Though I can't imagine GATS not being an intro song, and they seem to have come up with the new papercut intro so my hopes of GATS returning are low.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Was not impressed. If you guys think Chester sounded "good" then your standards for him must be really low. His stage presence has been awful since 2014. And he sounded pretty weak on ALITS imo but not horrible I guess. I hope the band brings more energy when I see them at Rock On The Range next week. And a much better setlist. At least the new Papercut intro should be cool.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Disregard this post, my friend actually sold me his RiR ticket and I got to see the show tonight! :CUMULUS:

Not sure how it translated to the stream, but the whole show was awesome live. Seeing the band a second time (this time on the floor and not in lower-level seats) was really cool to experience. The ALITS debut caught me by surprise (it was somewhat slower than the studio version), and of course I've had a ton of fun during the show, outside of the smells and some of the dead crowd around my area (I found only a few LP fans as I was trying to move up towards the front throughout the show) and some jerk in a Metallica shirt who kept yelling "WE WANT METALLICA" during the set. I recorded most of the show, but they're all short clips because I was too busy just having fun and the camera would've been shaky.

I left early during Metallica's set only because I wanted to beat traffic, I barely knew the songs, and that Metallica fan kinda ruined it for me. But they were pretty solid.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Wow ALITS sounds great live :CUMULUS:

(Now i have to overthink my discission not to buy a ticket :facepalm: )

Brad did a good job at it and Chester sounds cool too :)

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

GATS is going to return. This was clearly a shortened festival set.

That said, thank GOD they finally played A LINE IN THE FUCKING SAND! Mike still needs more confidence with his vocals, but that should be remedied with a few more play throughs of the song. Chester's screams gave the song a real edge which was nice to see.

(Hopefully they're hiding Keys To The Kingdom somewhere too...)

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Jeez that crowd was horrible. The band absolutely gave it their all for ALITS. Hope they keep playing it live!

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

+1 for playing A Line In The Sand. -5 for not playing Final Masquerade and GATS...

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

That ALITS performance was fucking fantastic. What a live debut that was.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Fantastic debut of ALITS, plus the Papercut intro was also awesome. Most of the rest pretty meh.

Out of interest how many people prefer Castle of Glass "experience" to the original? Imo it's fucking shite, either they should play the original, which is a great song, or don't play it at all.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Live its such a powerful , want-to-make-a-party song , so high energy, its amazing :lol:

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd much rather listen to the studio version of CoG than the remix, but live the combo seems awesome.

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Castle of Glass just didn't work live, it never sounded right. I thought the experience was just as bad, but when I was actually at a show I really enjoyed it.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Ok fair enough, I haven't seen the experience live in person as yet, maybe i'll think differently if/when I do. Quite a few LP tracks are like that I suppose, seeing them live makes all the difference.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I've seen both COG and the Experience version live, I guess I have no preference as they're both great in their own way. I like experience because it shows the band's range, as they go from the heavy guitars to a folk-rock song that goes into an EDM drop lol.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

In studio, the original destroys the remix. But, in a live setting, the studio version of COG doesn't have the energy to keep the crowd entertained, while the experience version does. The setting makes a big difference, too. The experience version won't go over as well at a rock festival compared to headlining LP tour. Personally, I think COGE sounds better than any time the band has tried to play the studio version of COG.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

It's awesome that they played ALITS!!! I think once they get comfortable with it they will be able to play it the tempo it is on the album. And when it comes to mike singing, I believe he overthinks it and tries to hard to be directly in tune. Whenever he just goes for it, it sounds amazing (The Catalyst in Red Square).

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

I quite liked the COG Experience version when I heard it played live. It's very energetic, plus you still get a bit of the studio version before the EDM kicks in. It works well in a live setting.

ALITS is sounding great. Maybe my hearing is off, because I don't really hear the slower tempo that other people seem to hear. It sounds basically like the studio version to me, though the stream mix made it sound quite a bit muddled. The vocals were at least decent.

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Chester's vocals were better than the vocals he laid down in the studio for the song.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

The awesome ALITS solo/breakdown from my POV!
    [video=youtube;F1biPw8leF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1biPw8leF4[/video]