LIES GREED MISERY REACTION THREAD

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jayhov, May 24, 2012.

1. vanRoK

vanRoK Well-Known Member

music is subjective,you guys will never reach at an end why is good or bad :D

2. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

I think of the opposite, actually. Some fans are hard to be satisfied that they expect LP to be a prog rock, avant-garde band and frown at any verse-chorus-verse structure. When the same musical textures in an experimental song are put into a "pop" structure, their sophisticated musical sensibilities are offended.

I guess some people in the fanbase really love indulging in the overanalysis of every single trivial thing. I'm probably past my age when I regard that music/film/media should pass my standards of high art (and my standards are mostly inappropriately placed). I guess I'm now more open to any style of work without bothering with the extraneous stuff. This is probably a hint of post-modernism: a curse that I love, I suppose.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

My musical taste vary across a wide range of artist and I think LT will kick some major ass.

I think if ATS hadn't come out that some of you guys would be singing a different tune about LGM.

4. Bubbles

Bubbles I blow a lot of...

Good song, it threw me for a loop though. I thought I knew what the album was going to sound like but after this listen I'm not so sure anymore. I really like the upbeats and stutter steps. Mike's parts at the beginning are great and Chester has some awesome screams. The only problem I had with it was the main chorus before the bridge. It feels like it's repeated too many times. "I wanna hear you choke on your lies, swallow up your greed, suffer all along in your misery"x4. I expected it to end on the third repeat. Every time I listen to this song it bothers me. Good song overall though.

5. DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

You make that assumption.

And that comparison might foster a useful notion or referent or approach. I would love to read someone who compares Hemingway to Meyer. It sounds wacky enough to inspire some fresh ideas.

No. We have choices, and our choices can impact others, but we do not have a responsibility. You can elect to believe in certain modes of conduct or behavior, and that's your prerogative, but recognize that it is a decision on your part, not a larger shared obligation.

Why do you loathe Thoreau? If you find sufficient reasons to loathe him, why relent with the status quo opinion? Why kowtow to a majority? Surely anyone who defends the merits of Linkin Park doesn't believe that estacritical thought is not sacrosanct. Conversely, if you think him extremely talented and amazing (and find that evidence in his works), why wouldn't you like him?

If we don't need reasons to dislike something, then we don't need reasons to like something. They are logically equivalent. Both are statements of unsupported judgment. I agree in a way with your second sentence, in that I believe a statement of value comes from supporting evidence, whether irrational or rational (i.e. whether the result of personal emotion or a more dispassionate analysis of the elements and the whole).

If you don't like something, you have judged it "not good" in some key way. Otherwise you would not express negativity. Even if it's something as mundane as "Because Chad Kroeger's hair looks like a wet mop."

I tend to write my opinions as though they are facts because I hope to have others "break" my argument. It's easier for an opponent to expose a fault in logic or a foolhardy assumption if my statements focus less on "me" and more on the work itself. I like that. I want to learn. That may come off as contradictory, but I go out of my way to avoid ad hominem attacks and focus on the work as much as possible. Sometimes I come off as curt, and for that I apologize.

Coming back to the charge of vagary. Yes, Linkin Park has always done so, and frankly, it's held the band back. Part of the problem with electing to be "vague," which Linkin Park does historically by finding the easiest words possible to communicate an angsty and undirected "fuck you" to whomever the listener deems fit, is that it doesn't say much. Past a certain point, the lyrics become redundant - it's not about the words but the screams. Pre-packaged angst. There is an inherent vapidity to such songs, because they are literally absent of context and lyrical depth (re: more than what the listener imprints upon it). This shortcoming manifests most clearly on Meteora.

I make no claim of my taste being authoritative. I explain that my statements are a defense of my position, which is an opinion. I traditionally avoid saying "this is just my opinion" or "this is my perspective," because I frankly feel that's implicit in the fact that I am communicating. All I can express is my perspective.

6. DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

The inability to reach a goal does not mean the pursuit is absent of value.

7. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

LGM is now my 6th most played song on itunes, wow. soon it will be #2 for sure

8. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

9. BLACKOUT

BLACKOUT Well-Known Member

I am not going to judge the album or Linkin Park until a month or so after it comes out. Eminems album Recovery is a prime example why, he released the song Won't Back Down with P!nk before the album like LP have done with LGM, and I hated the song, turns out the album was one of my all time favourites and Won't Back Down was the only song I didn't like! I'm not going to judge based on reviewers opinions, A Thousand Suns is my favourite album of all time and look at how much it was shit on by everybody.

10. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Coming off as pretty freakin' pretentious there. Just because somebody likes songs you don't like, they must not be able to understand the deeper nuances of music that you do? Seriously, you make it sound as if LP broke boundaries in the world of music with ATS; they did a few experimental things which was an important step for them but by no means anything innovative or anything that hadn't been done before, better, by someone else. Plus, BitS, WftE, Iridescent, even W&K, those don't sound poppy to you? Just because they have a few unexpected elements doesn't remove them from being strictly in pop territory. Linkin Park have always been in that territory and I for one am excited to see them new things within it. LGM is a new sound while employing things they've learned; yes, it's not new territory but if anything, it's much less poppier than many of the tracks on ATS/MTM.

11. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I like how the guitar sounds like a Tesla coil. Cool shit!

12. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

If anyone is interested, the chords for the dubstep synth and chrorus is A, F#m and G. Can't wait for some good tabs.

13. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

THIS! It's as if after A Thousand Suns some people believe they have evolved into an arrogant higher being that can only listen to "deep" and "structured" music. And so now they feel the need to rip on those other more fortunate people who are able to enjoy LGM and BID for what they are.

14. TheDudeFatJay

TheDudeFatJay Well-Known Member

That's what I thought aswell. I really felt like the chorus was something M.I.A could have done. And when i heard LGM for the first time my first thought was '' Oh no.. What the hell is this? ''. But after listening through it a couple of times i started to really like it, especially when it reaches climax at the end with Chester screaming. And it's also an interesting and clever mix in my opinion. Having that '' happy '' kind of sound on this track but then the lyrics are something that would fit on something much more darker. So yeah, i really liked this track.

15. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Wow. This is exactly what I've thought myself for weeks, seeing all the people here who were complaining because Living Things will probably be less complex than ATS.

Very well put, I couldn't have said it better.

16. Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

when i first heard i was surprised then it just started to sooth in with my other musical tastes.. really cool song over all

17. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Hey, I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But that's not dubstep
    Not even "maybe"

18. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

No, that's not what I think. If people are into more catchy songs than the experimental stuff, then great, there are a lot of pop bands I love. But if that's what you like, just SAY it. My problem is when those same people who like those songs try to rationalize why the songs full of catchy hooks are somehow different from the other pop music you hear on the radio every day.

I've said this same exact thing multiple times. Don't put words in my mouth.

No, they do. I don't remember ever mentioning A Thousand Suns in my post to be honest. I'm not sure why you're stuck on that.

That's good for you. And I'm glad you can admit that you're a fan of Linkin Park's pop sensibilities. Again, my annoyance is when people hear a song like Faint and go "wow! guitars and rapping and screaming! this is so much better than all that pop crap they play on the radio!" when of course Faint is a pop-rock song that gets a ton of radio play. If you like it, just say you like it. Which you did, and I respect that.

No way. :D It's definitely more energetic, but this is the biggest anthem Linkin Park has put out since...I'm not even sure when. I liked the Bleed It Out comparison someone else made.

This is true too. And again, I listen to a lot of pop music. OneRepublic, Neon Trees, Passion Pit, Phoenix, Fun., Coldplay, Foster The People, MGMT, etc. I'm not against it. My problem when Linkin Park does it is that a lot of times, their poppiest songs tend to sound a lot more cheesy than other bands.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  19. -Blinding Light-

-Blinding Light- Member

LGM is so catchy in my opinion. I was hooked on the first listen and found myself humming it at work the whole day :D
    It feels really fresh in terms of anything Linkin Park has done in the past.

20. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Next person to call it a pop song will feel the wrath of the almighty potato king! :potato: