Let's simply appreciate

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by TRANSLYDE, Oct 14, 2009.

TRANSLYDE

TRANSLYDE Well-Known Member

I've been listening around on my iPod, and I just decided to give Meteora a spin. I'm in the middle of Don't Stay, and (my iHome is so awesome) I just remembered how balls-to-the-wall that first explosion of sound is. It's such a classically nu-metal moment, with this electronic drum beat that's almost like the calm before the storm, and then it cracks, and all hell is unleashed. Just amazing.

Let's all now appreciate what a killer album Meteora is. \m/

Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

It is quite amazing.. it got me back in to LP after a long absence. Figure.09, Hit The Floor, and Easier to Run are my favorites.

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

I know its extremely cliche, but Breaking the Habit will always be my favorite LP song. They can't possibly beat it. Every time I see it live it gets me really emotional. I just love it... haha, ok I'll stop now.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I listened to "Meteora" from start to end the other day, for the first time in ages, just trying to bring back that straight-up awe I felt hearing it for the first time in 2003 ... didn't quite work, but, still, it was nice ... like, "OMG, I haven't heard "Faint" in ages!"

:)

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Meteora will always be a special one for me. First one I bought. Hated Breaking the Habit and Easier to Run when I first listened to it. Now Easier to Run and From the Inside are my favorites. Breaking the Habit is okay.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

There are only a handful of songs on this album that I can even stand listening to anymore, honestly.

Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

Wow, that's sad, why? Absolutely amazing album.

I don't know why you're posting in the 'Let's simply appreciate' thread if you don't even appreciate the amazing album it is.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

I love Meteora. The one that made me a full fledged LP fan. So yes I love it. Alot of favs off this one such as Faint,Hit The Floor, From The Inside, and Figure.09..so dope

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm posting this in the "let's simply appreciate" thread because it really bothers me that I'm apparently the only person who isn't living 6 years in the past and can see that this album was nothing more than an attempt at cashing in on something that was successful the first time around. I don't see any appreciation threads for Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, or Minutes to Midnight, despite them all being far better albums.

Foreword - Let's chop 13 seconds off the beginning of Don't Stay and make it a seperate track so we can say that this album has one more "song" than Hybrid Theory did!
    Don't Stay - Terrible lyrics, boring instrumentally.
    Somewhere I Belong - Terrible lyrics, being re-written 45947698576 times made the song sound mechanical and uninspired.
    Hit the Floor - Worst song in the Linkin Park catalog. The fact that they had to make a big deal about how the riff in this song comes in on the off-beat instead of the downbeat as if it was some revolutionary thing speaks volumes about how terrible it is otherwise. How anybody thought this song was good enough to make an album is beyond me.
    Breaking the Habit - Ridiculously overrated. I have to laugh at how some fans get all butt-hurt when people label LP as "emo," and yet they love this song.
    Nobody's Listening - A boring instrumental and crappy chorus ruin 2 good verses from Mike. The remix on We Major destroys this version.
    Session - Cure for the Itch was far better...
    Numb - Terrible lyrics, boring instrumentally (I suppose they wanted to bookend the album...), the song that every snobby little preteen girl who whines about how much their life "sucks" fell in love with.

Even some of the songs that are still "OK" to me have their faults - Easier to Run is a blatant attempt to recreate Crawling. Faint sounds a million times better live than it does on the album.

I don't see how an attempt at creating "Hybrid Theory Part 2" that wound up being inferior to Hybrid Theory in every way imaginable qualifies as an "amazing album." I liked it when it came out too, but this isn't 2003 anymore.

Minutes to Midnight is the album Linkin Park SHOULD have made in 2003.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2009
    Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

Alright buddy, seriously, the point was, if you want to bash Meteora create your own thread called 'Let's be honest.' or something, don't go in to a simply appreciating thread and continuously trash the album. Something crawl up your butt this morning? Jeeze, man, chill out.

I completely disagree with your opinion. I'm not living six years in the past, either, and I can tell you that Meteora is an amazing album. To call it Hybrid Theory 2 is so laughable that I'm sitting here laughing.

Wow, so.. a band continues doing its style and all you can say is 'Oh this sounds just like the last one.' Even though the songs are all completely different. Damn, uhhh, maybe it sounds like Hybrid Theory because it's a ... Linkin Park album?!?!?!?!?!?! Maybe it's because that's how they write songs?!?!?! :eek:

':angry:Damn, dude, god I just got the new Depeche Mode CD'
    ':eek:Wow, amazing! How does it sound??!?!?!?!?!'
    ':angry:I'm calling it Violator 5 cause it sounds just like all the other Depeche Mode cds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH'
    ':mellow:Umm... maybe it's because that's Depeche Modes sound and you're listening to Depeche Mode?'
    ':blink:Oh! The world finally makes sense!'

It can really be applied for any band that keeps it's own style throughout it's albums.

Sorry... People make me sick who can't realize that bands don't need to completely revolutionize their music from album to album, and while Meteora might sound like Hybrid Theory because it's the same effin' band, it is much more evolved and a lot of the time I prefer it over Hybrid Theory. It's a lot more positive and inspiring anyway.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

I do agree with a couple of things that Dr. Octogonopus said. But for the most part, I'd say you were being a little harsh. Yes, it would appear LP were trying to recreate that same success that Hybrid Theory had. It seemed to follow the same blueprint exactly, only less inspired. Tracks like Don't Stay, Easier To Run and Numb are attempts at running off the original hits as One Step Closer, Crawling and Pushing Me Away, respectively. But, these songs still have their appeal. I love them, and so do so many.

When HT was released, LP had a sound that nobody had heard. The fact Meteora seemed a cash in doesn't matter. It's still their sound, and they can copy it all they like, without being criticised for it. In my opinion, I'd say HT's songs stick with me in a more "yeah those were the days" kind of way than that of Meteora.

With that said, my favourite Meteora songs would be Lying from You, Hit The Floor, Breaking The Habit and Figure .09. And I couldn't really see your perspective on Hit The Floor. Is it really so bad that you don't think it deserved a place on the album? At the very least, it fits in with the rest. As for M2M, it can't really be compared to either HT or Meteora.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

You can make a second album that has your bands sound without it being a complete re-hash of the album before it.

For the record, I agree with the Doc.

Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

just to underline that specific part:

"i wanna heal
    i wanna feel
    what i thought
    was never real"

that has to be one of the most terrible lyrical parts of any song... ever!

Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

I just don't see how on Earth you could consider it a 'complete re-hash'. It isn't.

So you're saying you don't enjoy any of the songs on Meteora? Like I said in my first response to 'the Doc': Wow, sad... amazing album.

Dedicated

Okay, for example, the formula used for almost all of the songs on HT and Meteora is exactly the same. Therefore it has been re-hashed. Now I'm not saying that there is a large amount of variation available for a band such as LP, but there is some. Infact, MTM showed this.

As for if I don't enjoy any songs on the album, you're putting words into my mouth but I suppose you could say that yeah because I haven't listened to Meteora in a long while. Infact, I haven't listened to any LP songs since just after MTM came out in '07, and that's probably because I don't find enjoyment in listening to their songs anymore. As far as I'm concerned, they're pretty bland.

Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

Oh well, that's your opinion and I'll respect it even though I can't relate to it in any way. I see nothing bland and find it unfortunate that you do. But I listen to, and enjoy, thousands of albums that other people normally don't enjoy because I look deeper in to a lot of things.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I don't like meteora, really.. Easier to run is a pretty decent song though.

Babali

Babali Well-Known Member

Why? Just because it's too simple for you or what? Just because it's a universal thought or because you think a child could write it? Is it because it's too cheesy or mushy for you? What the hell is wrong with it?

I see it as a very inspiring and positive line.

Sorry, don't want to argue with you guys, just.. read the thread title please. Keep Meteora hate out of it, it's not what this discussion is about. It's just disrespectful and offensive to go in bashing an album people are appreciating. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I have to admit, in retrospect, Meteora is probably my least favourite LP album, through many of the faults mentioned above....

BUT...

it still is great album if you get by its faults. Sure, some of its lyrics are pretty weak for LP's standard & the guitars a WAY over produced, but the songs have a great sense of style & mood. The main reason I dont listen to it much now, is probably cause I overplayed it back in the day. (same could be said with HT)

anyway hear are my favourites:

Lying from you - the most unquely(sp?) LP track ever
    Easier To Run - extremly underated ballad. One of LP's best
    Faint - yeah the live version is better, but its still awesome
    Breaking the habit - No matter what you think of this song, you cant deny the work put into it (best track on album IMO)
    From the inside - never liked this song at first, but now its become a fave.
    Session - I preffer it over C4tI for some reason. great piece of music.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    Dedicated

Let me get this straight... You think they're good lyrics?

Perhaps you like simple music but a two year old could write that. When I listen to music, I want to be thinking to myself "how did they come up with that?! that's interesting and fresh and obviously effort has been put into this production" rather than having to listen to forced rhymes that have been dumbed down. To be honest though, I never really expect much from LP as far as lyrics go.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the delivery is there, but the lyrics just don't cut it.