Let's discuss Mike Shinoda's singing.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minus, Jun 3, 2014.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Alright guys, it's time we had a serious discussion about this. I posted my opening thoughts on this topic in the Rebellion thread, but I feel this deserves it's own thread.

For many of us, we were introduced to the idea of Mike as a singer during the Meteora cycle, specifically in instances like the Pushing Me Away remix live, or the bridge of Papercut during the touring cycle. We realized how great it could be when MTM dropped in The Little Things Give You Away, In Between, and of course No Roads Left.

His vocal presence has increased and stayed prominent since then, increasing to a co-lead singer status what with his vocal duties on songs like Burning in the Skies, Blackout, Roads Untraveled, Castle of Glass, and a plethora of post-nu-metal songs. We've even been exposed to Mike singing as far back as pre-Hybrid Theory on the track So Far Away. Clearly Mike as a singer has been on the mind of both the man himself and the rest of the band for years.

So with that exposition out of the way, my question:

We've had 3 albums now to get over the novelty of Mike Shinoda as a singer. What are your thoughts?

Me personally, I prefer his voice over Chester's. Sure, Chester has a more dynamic range, but something about Mike's timbre just sits right with me.

What are your thoughts? What is your favorite Shinoda-sung song, verse, or chorus?

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

He has a darker voice, I can see why some people like that, but Chester's way better for me. Just listen to RU, you think his verses are good until you hear Chester's.

His favorite sung song... In Between. I love that song.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

That's subjective. Chester's verse feels off in Roads Untraveled to me.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

It depends, I think he moments of brilliance (No Roads Left ) but I don't think he sounds good at all on rebellion. As for Chester, his parts have been underwhelming up until Rebellion (though its really only in the bridge).

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Chester's the better singer, but Mike just sounds way more genuine and emotional to me. So I'll always prefer Mike singing anything. At this point, it's the biggest thing I look for in their new releases. That's why the possiblity of LP breaking up at some point doesn't bother me really, because Mike's never going to stop making music. As for my favorite Shinoda verse/chorus/song, it's probably between Blackout, In Between, or Roads Untravelled... but shit, that outro of The Catalyst also deserves a mention.

Chester's sounds worse imo. In that low range, Mike just sounds way more comfortable.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I prefer Mike. Though Chester is the better singer technically, there's just something about Mike's voice that really gets to me. He just always sounds very, honest. I know, kinda vague, but that's why I think. He always sounds very sincere when he sings. No bullshit with Mike.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Captain-EO likes this.
    lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

Chester's voice is waaaay better from a technical standpoint, but there are some songs where Mike's voice is amazing. The key example for me is No Roads Left, even though we didn't hear Chester sing it before I think Mike sounds perfect in that song.

Mike can't sing live though, he is consistently flat and often times it messes Chester up.

annie and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Chester can sing better, but Mike has the better voice.
    If that makes any sense to you.

Rahat likes this.
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I get that. My favorite Floyd album is Wish You Were Here, but The Dark Side of the Moon is the better album. I agree with Mike having the better voice.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I hope Mike does a solo singing album some day.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I agree with this.

I am waiting for the first LP album where Mike sings lead on most of the tracks. Chester can scream /harmonize/ or help out Brad with guitar, lord knows he needs it. :lol:

Yes.

HybridT likes this.
    Oliver

Oliver Spela Shoreline!

While he's not a great singer live, he has a really good voice and a beautiful tone that just needs a little studio help. I would love to hear him do some songs with more power, just like No Road Left (which is probably on my top 3 LP songs). I'm really excited for that Mall song from the trailer, he sounded FANTASTIC during that chorus.

Also, the only rapping from him I've actually enjoyed since ATS is the Vicimized one, other than that, I'm just not feeling it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

When I first heard Mike sing on a song (In Between), I was taken aback. This guy that I've known as a rapper and producer for literally my entire life at the time...was actually a great singer?! Ever since then, I've always enjoyed Mike singing and I'm always surprised every time I hear that on a new song. And despite the fact that Chester's still my favorite when it comes to lead vocals, "No Roads Left" and "In Between" are two of my absolute favorite songs from the band, and Mike sang them both.

In short: Mike and Chester both have a great impact on me no matter who's singing, and I appreciate their singing talents.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

This all the way. Singing ability? Chester. Higher notes? Chester. Low notes with a nice dark timbre and rasp. Mike. And he always seems a bit more exposed and genuine in his performances which is hard to teach.

It's the whole reason they went with Mike on In Between and not Chester. Chaz said he just couldn't bring that raw emotion like Mike did in his demo.

Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

Not against Mike's singing. I enjoy at times, but I prefer him to be rapping. His energy IMO is better channeled there. I'd be interesting to have a song where Chester raps and Mike sings.. see how that works out. :sweating:

Gravity_LP likes this.
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I won't think of Mike as a good singer until he starts performing live consistently to a high standard.

annie likes this.
    Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Blackout was the closest we'll ever get to that.

Anyway, I'm so glad the enthusiasm for LP is back now because of Rebellion. There was a such a negative attitude towards LP up until today(and rightfully so, UIG and Wastelands are not great). Rebellion itself has gotten me excited again.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I feel like Chester's voice is "the voice of LINKIN PARK", but the songs Mike sings on are all with him in the spotlight during his parts - I can bear "In Between" solely because of Mike's voice. It's not necessarily that he has a great singing voice, but he produces, what, 99% of these songs? He knows how they work, what they're about, and how to sing them. Honestly, I think Chester only sings when Mike feels he can't reach the notes with the same #visceral manner Chester can and/or he doesn't want to and/or he can't play what he has to and sing at the same time.

I'd love to hear Mike do "In the End", "Easier to Run", "Leave Out All the Rest", "Robot Boy" (in front, instead of Chester as it is now), and "Wastelands". Just to hear them. His live performance of Stephen Richards' part in "P5hng Me A*wy" and "SKIN TO BONE" are already great.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    brianlp01

brianlp01 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with this.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

THIS. Yes he can sound good in the studio, I like his vocals on No Roads Left, but have you ever heard him singing NRL live?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEL_Bsqg2B8 It's SO bad.

I get what some of you are saying about him sounding genuine and I agree on that part, but I just can't see him as a good singer when he gives performances like the one above (and that's not the only bad performance I've seen). Imagine if Mike had most of the lead vocals in LP, it would be a pretty sucky live show. Also, his range (even in the studio) isn't what you would call spectacular, it would probably become pretty boring after a while just listening to him.

Btw, I really like Mike, I'm not trying to bash him. I'm just not a fan of him as a singer.

Edit:
    As far as Chester goes, for some reason he is severely held back in LP. Chester is an amazing, versatile vocalist with a great range, but for whatever reason you barely get to hear that versatility in LP. And it annoys the hell out of me. His vocals in STP and on his covers with Camp Freddy are amazing and I wish we would hear more of that on LP albums, but it doesn't seem like it's happening anytime soon.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    annie and Gravity_LP like this.