I want lots of GB's!

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Andrea, Jan 11, 2010.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

If you are bored, or just want to help me, what is the absolute maximum amount of GB's a PC AND Laptop can hold? What is the brand? Price doesn't matter.

I need to be pointed in the right direction so I can eventually consider and own something that has a crap load of space, lol. Help! :)

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

I think the largest one available for PC is 1 TB. And it's roughly 119 dollars, from what I can tell.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The largest hard drive for a desktop is 2 TB, of course, you can always put more than one hard drive in a computer.

For laptops, I haven't looked recently but I think laptop HDs max out at around 500 GB

Iain

Oh yeah, I forgot that it's 2 TB.

But it's definitely 500 GB for laptops, I just finished talking to my dad about it. :lol:

Andrea

Ah, awesome! I need to ditch my computer soon and get something a whole lot better. I hate using laptops but I might just have to suck it up and deal with them or settle for another PC, just with the one with the most space. Decisions.

Thanks!

Todd

Don't just go for the one with the biggest space. While there are 2 TB drives, I highy doubt you will ever use anything close to it. Save your money and get a smaller hard drive, if you ever fill it up, you can buy an external hard drive, I think 1 TB externals can be had for under $100 now.

Andrea

Haha yeah, true. I'm sort of thinking irrationally right now. :p

Iain

It depends. I know someone who's got four 500 GB external drives completely filled with music, movies, and images, as well as two more with music that they record, and footage they've shot with their video camera. So it's possible, but only if Andrea's got a huge love affair with multimedia. :lol:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I will go with Iain on this one.

I definitely splurged and built myself a new computer around Thanksgiving. I thought I'd play it safe and only get 1TB (I'm using 2 500 GB HDs) but I've now filled all that up! So I'm throwing down for my second TB with my first salary paycheck. :p

Todd

Oh, I'm not one to talk about being conservative on storage. :lol: I have 2 500 GB drives and 2 1TB drives in my computer, the 500s are in a RAID0 array, and the 1TBs are in a RAID1 array (so I don't quite have 3TB of storage, just 2) but I'm just saying, make sure you actually have a use for that storage before spending your money on it.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I have one 500 GB hard drive in my desktop with like 50 some gigs left. I need to buy either a 500 external or a 1tb external would be awesome.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

How does anybody fill up 1000GB of space? To be safe and err on the side of caution, I wouldn't exactly advertise you guys are pirating that much on a public forum. I know it's paranoia but in the same respect it's kinda like putting a bulls eye on your back with the words "Shoot Me".

Minus

I wouldn't exactly assume that just because I filled 1TB of storage means I pirated everything.

My new computer is my new media system at home (a widescreen HD TV is on its way right now, in fact) with 5.1 surround. I've been spending that time converting all my music CDs (of which I have many, so don't assume I pirate ALL the time :lol: ), DVDs, Blu-Ray DVDs, Books (yes, books, because I'd rather read the Twilight series on a 1080i TV from my bed instead of with a crappy lamp that generates too much heat in my bed), pictures (of every party and get-together I've had with my close amigos since 2003), miscellaneous videos, and my 2gb collection of HD wallpapers into a comprehensive media drive so that everything I have is on my computer. In fact, I'll probably spend the money for more space to have my studio completed and a dedicated drive as back-up for everything I'm converting to a computer-ready format.

On top of that I need space for all the computer games I will be playing on such epic computer set-ups (1080i Counterstrike? Goldeneye Source? Crysis? Oh lord, I can't wait for Super Street Fighter 4).

But then again, I'm probably the .01% minority here with how I'm using my space. :lol:

Derek

Well technically even if you're backing up Music CDs/DVDs/Blu-Ray, the RIAA/MPAA in their infinite "wisdom" (or lack thereof) will still consider that to be pirating because you're copying a the source. So just be careful.

Everything else is basically how I'd use my PC though if I had that space. :lol:

Minus

I'd also like to say that just a few years ago people were saying, "a gigabyte? What could you possibly do with your computer to warrant that much space?"

Derek

I remember when I had a 1GB hard drive back in the 90s and I thought I was the shit. :lol:

Todd

My first computer in 1999 had a 4 GB hard drive and I was told that's more than I'll ever need :lol:

Derek

How wrong they were. :lol:

Neotriple

Neotriple LPA VIP LPA VIP

If you need any suggestions regarding speed/warranties/which hard drive to get, let us know as well. I know there are some people here and in general that prefer some brands over others for certain reasons and if you're not up to par with what terminology means what, most people in this thread can probably help out (Todd especially).

At this point, 1 TB or 1.5 TB are probably the best bang for your buck regarding space available in your computer (You only have so many docks inside your computer) etc. If you're looking for external, that's a different story, but it would probably be around the 750GB - 1 TB range anyway.