Brad: 'There's Room To Improve'

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Guitarist Brad Delson had some interesting comments to make about how Pearl Jam has changed the way he views performing live, in a recent interview with AOL.

During their stay in Lisbon, Portugal for the Alive! Festival, the band stood on the side of the stage while Pearl Jam performed, and were completely blown away.

"I was really blown away by what they do on stage -- how organic their show is ... We played [with them in] Lisbon, and we were kind of high on ourselves a little bit. Then I stood on the side of the stage, watched Pearl Jam perform, and was immediately very humbled. They seriously destroyed us. I say that in the best way possible. It was like, 'Holy crap, there's so much room for us still to grow."

Brad also had this to say about the band recording all of their live shows for download by concert-goers:

"It means we can't suck. The stuff's gonna go up on YouTube anyway, so we might as well do a real mix of it for fan rather than it have be [recorded by] some dude jumping up and down with a cell phone."

To read the full article, visit AOL.com

Thanks to danielp-soad09!

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I really hope they become more organic with the new sound. It's a good idea and all, but like, they just need to have more flow to it. The new album has the right idea, but lacked flow and coherence. It tried to hard to be unique, so more flow and organic sound from them.

Knowing they're gonna improve is very, very good to hear.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sounds awesome. LP's newer shows aren't as organic as their old HT ones so if they can get that feeling with MTM stuff, it'll own.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If you ask me, Minutes to Midnight was their mid-life crisis CD. As good as it is, to me it shows a band coming to grips with the fact they are no longer the angry kids on One Step Closer, but instead are now full grown adults, some with kids, and some married with a happy life ahead of them. Which is why I do not find Minutes To Midnight to be their new sound in the slightest.

This album, along with their wake up call with Pearl Jam is their way of saying they need to improve themselves. MTM was risky, and alienated a few fans, but I am confident the next album may be their finest hour. Personally, I can't wait.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well, for all our sakes, let's hope we won't have to wait another four years.

arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

im pretty sure this is the last LP album

i dont see LP as Metallica U2 or T R Stones, thats for a diff kind of people

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Ahahah, why do you say that? Chester has already mentioned that the wait will be shorter between CDs now.

arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

well i heard that too

but i have a fellin that maybe this is IT, kind of end it when they're still on top...

(i could be wrong tho)

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

If worst comes to worst, and the band splits, I can foresee atleast two-maybe three albums being released before that happens.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

What he said :lol:
    Next album should be amazing, once they get more comfortable with this diversity in their sound.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Band splitting up? MTM their last album? Pfft not a chance! This interview proves that they're still eager for more, which basically means another album.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

watching all their live stuff and the LPTV episodes, i dont see em splittin, there like brothers now

Radish

Radish Guest

Wow.. this should be great! ...and yeah Derek i totally agree with you too.
    Next album should be awesome! And i wanna hear what they're gonna sound like live now that they've had a change of thought. Should be Awesome.

INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

I just cant wait till they REALLY mix it up with their performances on every single song.

heshboy

heshboy Well-Known Member

Now I do love LP, and wish them well, but Brad NEEDS to not only improve on live shows, but overall as a guitarist. I seriously think he's one of the most useless guitarist in the history of rock music.

On a side note. I agree with Derek that this is LP's midlife crisis CD. Though for them to really grow and be a better band Brad needs to STEP up his game by a lot.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

On the contrary I thought some of his work was quite exceptional on MTM and a definite step up, Heshboy. While I'll admit he still isn't a guitar god, what we hear on this new record is definitely leaps and bounds above anything he's done before. To call him the most useless guitarist in rock music is highly unfair. A metal head co-worker of mine even praised Qwerty for its riffs, and we know how much metal heads love to shit on LP for not having enough 'musical talent'.

blueeye

blueeye Well-Known Member

How did this thread come from Brad`s enthusiasm for improvement to LP splitting up in just 16 posts? :lol:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Rapid sensationalism. Common among LP fans. :lol:

jonah

jonah Well-Known Member

You can't always take their word for that. Didn't they say the third album was supposed to come out two years ago?

Given one more year of touring and Chester's solo album, I say the next record will be out at least late 2009.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

When I finally get to see LP live in november, I'll make a comment on where they're at. I have heard alot about them being a great live act though and expect nothing less lol.

And on M2M being a midlife crisis, I tend to agree in part. They are heading in a new direction, and SOME of this album is part of it, and some is a bit of experimental work. They're a rockin' band, so I really can't see their next album being a soft ballad filled one. A longer album is required, with more heavy songs. Not necessarily angry but blairing guitars. And chuck in a couple of ballads so people can appreciate them alot more for what they are, and not get bored with the album as a whole

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.