Will you be able to listen to LP the same way? The lyrics are haunting now.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 21, 2017.

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

Since Black Thursday, I've been revisiting their catalog. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get even the slightest chill listening to Chester.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Add Nobody's Listening to my list of songs that have new meaning

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Many of LP's songs will resonate with me differently and much deeper, but I think it's helping me by continuing to listen. Basically part of my daily routine is listening to LP, so I must carry on.

Blake

My whole routine since Thursday has been Listen to Linkin Park whenever free so I totally understand this

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I finally managed to go through most of OML without breaking into tears, just felt empty and, again, tried to remind myself that he's gone. It doesn't feel like it when you hear his voice.
    NCSM felt like a farewell to us and the family, he said TTM was from his wife's perspective and I kept imagining what she went through while he was depressed and OML felt like what us fans would say to him in a situation like this. Somebody please wake us up :(

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Given Up has a whole new meaning now, especially after watching that "Cry for Help" radio interview that's going around YouTube.

Slash Stradlin

Slash Stradlin Guns N' Roses

Most of the songs had a deep meaning which I could relate to on my own way, but now I look through Chester's POV and its very hurtful

Slash Stradlin

True and also for Hit The Floor, these were one of the LP songs which I could never relate to, but now they totally have a different meaning to me.

One minute you're on top
    The next you're not, watch it drop
    Making your heart stop
    Just before you hit the floor
    One minute you're on top
    The next you're not, missed your shot
    Making your heart stop
    You think you've won
    And then it's all gone

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

I was finishing the tribute show on Kerrang and Scuzz today. Now, I haven't cried as much since Friday, although I've been teary eyed and nearly broken. I've mainly listened to Linkin Park songs and tried to be positive and remember how much of an impact the music and lyrics had on me and how much I love each track. However, when watching the tribute shows, I was fine, even during some of the live performances (Faint from 2003 was great to re-watch after so long) but when Heavy came on, this was the first time I've listened to the song since the day Chester died (as I had listened to the song 2 hours before it was confirmed he passed away) and with the music video and seeing Chester struggle with his inner demons, that nearly set me off again and I felt the tears form again. I wiped them away and proceeded with the next video, eventually leading to Battle Symphony being the last song, which I thoroughly enjoyed and it gave me hope.

I fluctuate between many different emotions, which is normal but it's still difficult to process that he is in fact gone. The lyrics will most certainly take on new meaning and will strike a chord with me a lot of the time, especially on many of the tracks mentioned where the lyrics relate to Chester's past (and what has happened) and One More Light as a whole will feel eerie also. Still, I'm proud of the band and what they've created and these songs will always live on inside my heart and I will cherish every single one of them.

Now, I'm off to have a few drinks, remember Chester and to try and enjoy life today. Proud of my LP Family.

Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

I found this morning I wasn't able to listen to "bleed it out"...
    Sat at bus stop got through the 1st verse & thought.. nope that's to soon..
    I used to have it as my alarm tune.. then switched to numb... had to change that few days ago as my daughter still not ready to hear the songs...

Fathom

Fathom Well-Known Member

Today I will try to force myself to listen to One More Light album.

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

This is the first time I really listened to OML lyrics and tried to put myself in his/their shoes. They have a whole different meaning now, especially few of them. Listening to him singing it doesn't seem like he's gone, it's so hard to accept it and who knows when we'll be able to.
    @Mysticliz, I tried to listen to BIO yesterday and it was also no, no, too happy for me, reminds me of the last concert. I can only listen to OML.

Slash Stradlin

Bleed it out is the most difficult for me, I stopped after 30 seconds.

K. Nolen

K. Nolen Member

Nope can't listen to them the same anymore. I cry too much....... Not yet anyways.

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

It's so new that I can't get enjoyment out of the heavy LP. I just listen to the softer songs. I'm sure one day i'll get to that point again cause I just love Chester going all out on a hard song, but it's just never going to be the same. It's like a dark cloud around their music right now. Never realized how I took their music for granted. I knew they would retire one day, but nothing like this.

K. Nolen likes this.
    Fathom

Fathom Well-Known Member

I was able to listen to One More Light but when I got to the actual song One More Light... I cried like a baby. The other 9 tracks I didn't have an issue with. That being said I didn't enjoy the other tracks like I used to. I doubt the songs will ever be the same.

BrandonR24 likes this.
    K. Nolen

K. Nolen Member

Yep. I totally agree on the alcohol. I can't help but wonder if with him being alone and depressed... With it being CC's birthday... Was Chester thinking, "Im gonna get drunk." and then once he did, that was it. I wonder if it was a decision he wouldn't of made if he hadn't been drinking. Because GOD knows how many horrible decisions I've made because I was drunk..
    I wonder if Talinda knew that it was CCs birthday.. I mean didn't Chester talk about it? Like did he say "Chris' birthday is coming up." ? "Chris' birthday is in 2 days" ??...."tomorrow" etc... Im not blaming her or anything close to that, Im just saying if I knew my husband had SERIOUS DEPRESSION and substance abuse problems (and Im sure if anyone knew the depth of his issues, it would be her..) I mean after all Ive seen articles on how "she tried to save him" ... So then why TF would she dare leave him alone especially on or anywhere around the birthday of his good friend who commited suicide? I wouldn't of left his side..
    Im sure she's regretting it now. :( And maybe I am able to think of this more so because I know how severe depression, anxiety, ptsd, substance abuse, and loneliness works, as I suffer from all of the above as well. I know I can speculate all day long but will never know. I just can't freaking stop thinking, wondering, guessing. I wish there were more answers.

Blake likes this.
    Blake

Add Easier to Run to the list

I don't listen to that song much so I didn't catch it right away but man those lyrics are really, really dark now.

K. Nolen

K. Nolen Member

Love what you said.

BrandonR24 likes this.
    Slash Stradlin

Easier To Run is one of my Fav. Songs, for me it always had that dark deep meaning to it. I wish they played it live more often.