The Mac

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Branden, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Just wanted to know what you all thought of Apple Mac computers. I've used them to some extent, and I love the interface and the simplicity of them. I also wondered if anyone had a Mac, could you please tell me the pros and cons of them? I was thinking of buying a iBook/PowerBook once I save up enough money. I love all other Apple products that I've tried, which essentially consists of one: the iPod + iTunes.

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

no spyware and virus, security is better.

Branden

That sounds like a plus to me!

+ | -
    -------
    1 | 0

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Pros:
    Unix. Interface as you said, design. Fast, reliable. The G5 processor has coolent in it so it takes forever to heat up and it will never go slow. Some of the best software in the world and easiest to use. Virtual

Cons:
    Not as much software made for it by 3rd party conpanies. But with the use of Virtual PC made by Microsoft, you can use programs that aren't compatable with Mac. The biggy about Apple, is the prices, but that is what the new Mac mini is for.

Work your way around the price ranges, and you've got yourself a top quality computer.

Branden

Well, since one of the two cons you can easily get around, I'm gonna count that as a pro.

+ | -
    ---------
    2 | 0

I want a Mac.

Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

I own and Apple ibook and love it. Its my first Home computer and for someone like me who isn't the most technologically advanced person it is almost idiot proof. I've only had one problem with it and that was the CD/DVD drive jamming. I took it to the Apple retailer I bought it from and it was fixed and returned to me in 2 days at no charge (still under warranty) and the people were nice and treated me great when I went to buy it. I've heard alot of people with Windows PC's complain about the viruses and spyware and I have never had a problem with either heck the thing has never frozen on me once. Once you get around the price I say they are a great computer. I also have the Airport wireless system which lets you use it anywhere in your house or even outside the house without the cords. :thumbsup:

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

The pro's and cons of a mac? well.. if I were you, i'd try out one in an apple store or something before you buy one. Though the interface has several innovative features, it still leaves too much to desired. The non-MDI interface in programs like Photoshop, for example, where a click just a few pixels too much to the left results in going back to the desktop scares most people off.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Macs are pretty good except most of the commercialized software available on the net is PC only. That sucks.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I own an iBook and a PowerMac G5 and love them. No spyware, no viruses, its VERY secure (Its based off Unix, possibly the most secure operating system in existance). The interface on it is nice and easy to use.

Regarding software, if there's a program you use on Windows, I can almost guarantee you that there is a Mac equivalent that is at least as good if not better. When I switched from windows to a Mac, I found Mac equivalents for every program I used. Plus, Mac programs are usually better, both with features and interface. The only cons are taking shit from the many Mac-haters out there who think Macs suck, and the price. But if you can ignore the haters, and can afford one (The Mac Mini is cheap, although, IMO, the more expensive ones are worth the price) go for it. You'll love it

Oh yeah, by the way, I'd recommend against using Virtual PC. It works, and I guess if you absolutley didn't have a choice, its good, but its slow and as I said, chances are, there's an equivalent for OSX. I had Virtual PC installed on my PM G5, a dual 1.8 GHz processor machine, and on it, Windows felt slower than it does on my old 400MHz pentium II I have.

Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

my vote is for the good side

[Fool]

[Fool] Banned

i like iBooks and plan to save up for one, the only problem i will have is that know one i know is a mac techi :p

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I want a PowerBook. ^_^

Branden

Hmmm, I've come to a conclusion. I think I might buy a Mac Mini. It seems alright for me, but I'm not entirely sure, because I'm used to a higher end PC. The thing is that I'm only 15, and it's gonna be a tad hard for me to come up with the $1000 for my iBook. Could someone tell me what they think of the Mac Mini and if I would just be better off going with an iBook?

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Well, they're both portable and small.

The Mac mini doesn't come witha screen or mouse or keyboard, but is compatable with third party keyboards and mice so you can use them from your current computer right now. It's basically a new born of the PowerMac. I would seriously recommend it if you aren't going to using much else where than at your house and for the price, it's great.

If you are however on the move, go for the iBook or a new 12'' Powerbook. They are a few hundred more than the Mac mini but still pack a punch, plus they have screens and keyboards. But the new Powerbook models have a TrackPad. The brand new scroll pad. USe two fingers to scroll up and down, left and right on a page of any sort.

It's up to you. Home use vs. portable.

Branden

Yeah, at this moment I would be using it at home, but in the future, I'll definitely be on the move alot more. But, by then, the thing will be out of date. I like the PowerBooks alot more, but they're also $500 more than an iBook. Wow, I might just stick with my PC for a while, until I have a decent amount of money. :lol:

[Fool]

[Fool] Banned

hey todd u might be able to help me here, whats the thing called where you move the mouse to the corner of a window and it shrinks itself away? i know you can turn it on/off and i know i begins with "e" :lol:

Todd

Expose?

[Fool]

[Fool] Banned

Expose? [/b][/quote]
    bless you :) but yea thats it thanks

krylonblu

krylonblu Member

I've married my powerbook G4 and had his iBabies. 12" of sweet mac daddy lovin. I couldn't be happier.

Todd

This thread is almost a year old. Please don't bump old threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.