Chester In Spin

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    mikhailpreda

mikhailpreda Active Member

I have to sadly agree with raiyus opinion.LP will always be LP but come on guys how can we dance around the fact that they've lost what made them that? I love what i've done but I cant stand this U2ish brainwashing garbage which obviously seems apparent in todays "cool" bands. But as for the interview its a relief to see Chester gain some self respect which will finally end their life as MTV molded musicians.

Robot Man

Robot Man Well-Known Member

I don't take reviews seriously. You just need to judge for yourself after you hear the album. The only review you can trust, is your own.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It sounds alright to me. The review wasn't written very well anyway.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

even reading the review it still makes me liking what im hearing about the album

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I've posted it as news guys, discuss it there.

musicphreke

musicphreke Living Thing

I agree and now I'm worried. I had high hopes until I read that. Two songs rated 5/5, several 2 or 3/5...ouch. Sounds like LP went soft on us according this guys review. He may be very critical on it maybe if he's trying to compare it to their previous work. I still look at the bright side of the AOL review though, so now it's kinda neutralized altogether for me. I have to say I really am not all "uber excited" about the album like I was before, though.

raiyu

raiyu Active Member

Dean said: "Now tell me why their previous albums are genius, anything even slightly valid for Meteora and you deserve an honourary knighthood." (quoting system never works for me)

the reason linkin park's music in the past has been 'genius' is that the songs are like stories being told through sound. when you listen to linkin park, you're not listening to a song, you're experiencing another world, just as if you would if you picked up a good book. with the layers upon layers of ambient and hard hitting sounds, combined with the strangely haunted, perfect through imperfect melodies, they are able to take you on a ride with them through the emotional trauma they have faced while making you feel you have not been alone with your own. i can't even relate to most of their music, but i can feel it and still ride along with them.

mike shinoda rapping is like your inner voice finally letting out what it is that's really bothering you, and chester's voice represents the emotions that come from those things. couple them with the sounds that are often seeming they are from an alien world, and you get what is most important in music: atmosphere. you feel you are somewhere else, that is why it is genius.

listen closely to "In The End" and what brad is playing during the rapping, or the backing sounds during chester's vocals in "Crawling". the melody alone in "Pushing Me Away" was able to make it my favorite song, but it wasn't until i heard the reanimation version that i ended up in tears (i'm not emo, was just dealing with a bad love thing at the time and chester singing that chorus was like a perfect representation of what i felt at the time). i could do a run down on every track and tell you all about what is doing what and why it's brilliant, but that would take too long.

and i'm not gonna back up meteora so much, reanimation was best, hybrid theory second, but i'm most likely going to put "minutes to midnight" at 4th place after meteora. the reason is that in meteora, they strayed from what made them great, but still had a few elements of hybrid theory so it was still linkin park and i was still obsessed with it for 3 or 4 months when it first came out

stand out songs from meteora: somewhere i belong (the guitar sounds awesome, even if the chorus is a little forced), breaking the habit (song you can tune out to or get involved with, either way is good), session (hahn should make a track on every album, the guy is awesome when it comes to atmosphere), lying from you (just a hard hitting track, good when you have a bit too much energy), from the inside (very close to hybrid theory style of music with the soothing guitar blending with a few lines sung by chester while mike raps)

at the end of it all, they became an awesome band because of what they sounded like in the past ... i'm all for growing as a band, but i'm extremely disappointed they've become a cliche rock band because someone told them it was better or something. it almost feels like if britney spears made a rock album, she'd release "minutes to midnight". to me, the highest expression of linkin park's music is found in reanimation, and thus if they were to ever 'grow' and 'get better', it was to go in that direction, where you just forget what the mainstream want and make music that represents who you are at the deepest cord of your being, and that is why i think linkin park have such a good fan base ... they spoke to people in a way they had never been spoken to before.

they called their fan club 'lp underground' ... what does that tell you about the music they were making? down with the ignorant mainstream. long live linkin park's perfection through imperfection, the telling of what our world really is.

oh ps, don't EVER try to write songs about main events ... you are not some divine entity, so you have no right to claim you can represent what happened through a song. you must let the people decide what your music represents. the thing i'm hating most about this 'minutes to midnight' release is that it seems like they're all trying to tell me what to think of it. i'll come up with my own opinions, just like everyone else should. i'll decide if you're more mature, i'll decide if you're more raw, and i'll decide if your music is powerful enough to be related to things like hurricanes and wars. (yes i know they helped out but so did thousands of others, it still seems very arrogant to me to say you wrote a song about it, like those hippies that tried to score big with 9/11)

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

^ Wow. Great post, man.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Raiyu, I think you need to get outside more. :lol:

You're reading way too far into things.

Umm...stories set to sound is called music.

Linkin Park songs would have to have main characters or a plot to really be called "stories". All Mike and Chester do is profess their feelings. They're more like diary entries than stories. You have an unreal emotional attachment to these songs.

Calling these songs brilliant really makes me question how much music you've actually listened to, for there is far more intelligent, innovative music out there.

What version of 'Meteora' were you listening to? 'Meteora' was a perfect example of a band trying to rehash the same music that had made them successful, but at a far lesser quality. 'Hybrid Theory' was an amazing album, but in comparison 'Meteora' was absolute garbage. The lyrics were terrible, there was no evolution of their sound whatsoever. As if a japanese flute was experimentation, give me a break! It was uninspired and blatantly drab.

This is a load of unintelligible diatribe, but I'll try and sift through it:
    This is what really threw me through a loop. They became an "awesome" (debatable) band when 'Hybrid Theory' came out in 2000. They were fresh, innovative, creative, and overall a band with what seemed like alot of potential to evolve as musicians. You do not become awesome for rehashing the same stuff over and over again as they did with 'Meteora'. You become stale, uninspiring, and you lose alot of respect from most of your fans (those who don't accept everything as the greatest thing ever to hit the Earth).

'Minutes To Midnight' feels like what a Britney Spears rock album would sound like? Where the hell did that come, and from what do you draw such a ridiculous idea? Would you care to explain why this would be the case? I'm really interested as to how this came about. Have you heard the full album and aren't telling us, or are you basing this ridiculous notion on 1/12th of an album?

I can't believe I'm touching this, but it's a bloody name for a fanclub. Again, you're reading way too far into things. By the time LPU came to light in November 2001, Linkin Park had already sold millions of albums and were very mainstream.

The last sentence really struck me. "Telling what our world really is?" Isn't that exactly what they're doing with 'Minutes To Midnight'? If the band was telling us what our world really was in the past, it was doing it fairly vaguely!

So I guess you can tell that to Mike with "Kenji", "Right Now", and "Red To Black".

It seems like you're so hellbent on having an opinion of your own (however clouded that may be), that you're willing to tell people like the band they're not allowed to have an opinion on events like the war and Hurricane Katrina.

You need to understand the band isn't going to make an album just for you (although you make it seem like they have with HT and Meteora). Just take what you're given?

Version One

Version One Well-Known Member

^ agreed.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This is why I didn't approve Raiyu's post and let another moderator respond to it, cause it is simply the biggest load of bullcrap I've ever read. Linkin Park are NOT the best band to have ever lived, and they've made some mistakes during their career just like every other band. Even with running a fansite I'm levelheaded enough to say that.

Urantia Girl

Urantia Girl Well-Known Member

This new album is going to be a disappointment to me. And being a musician myself I know what it's like to be in some band, we're pretty popular throughout the east coast. I'm arrogant as hell and I admit it. It's a sign of genius and determination. I doubt this guy would sit there and put his own band and upcoming album down.

raiyu

raiyu Active Member

ok obviously we disagree mark, but let's not call what the other is writing "unintelligible diatribe"

i believe you are wrong about everything you said i was wrong about, and here is why

first, i said LIKE stories, not actual stories, thus they don't have characters, plots etc. also i wasn't referring to the lyrics as such, i was referring more to the structure. the songs have an introduction, getting you used to the instruments and general sounds that they're going to use, then they will sometimes hit you with the chorus to keep you interested (or even straight away), then they'll use a couple of sections to help you appreciate why the chorus is so strong, and then another section almost identical to the other, and then a bridge to kick you out of the song so you're an observer for a while, and then you jump right back in with the chorus before easing out on an instrumental like the introduction. that's the basic structure they generally use. i wouldn't say they're like diary entries. diary entries i don't think repeat or ease people in or have climaxes (choruses) or anything, it's usually just a retelling of an event or day, which is not what songs do (well some might, but i haven't heard any good ones).

now, calling this music brilliant is based on a pretty extensive list of bands i've listened to, and i guarantee you if you named a band and a song you thought was 'far more intelligent, innovative' music, i'd tear it to shreds and tell exactly why it was a terrible song and how bewildered i am that you actually enjoy it. so at this point, i'll remind that it's down to personal preference and what you enjoy/what speaks to you.

you ask a good question next, now i'm going to ask you the same: "what version of meteora were you listening to?" seriously, did you even take note of the sounds they were using, the up'd tempo on a lot of their rock tracks (faint for example ... even points of authority was pretty laidback by comparison), the constant noise in your ears from the changed guitar sound that was verging on annoying? (it's gotten even worse in MTM, now it has a 'bounce bounce bounce' sound, making it seem like teeny bopper blink 182 style ****). as for being uninspired, i think they just lost their way a bit because of the amount of pressure and that they were on tour for so long, there wasn't as much meaning to the songs as there was in hybrid theory. that said, breaking the haibt and easier to run were great songs and extremely different to hybrid theory. the problem is linkin park are insecure and they keep letting critics get to them. you'll always see mike or chester saying things like "how many songs like breaking the habit do we have to do to shed the nu metal label?" (that was in a recent interview, not a direct quote). if linkin park ignored everyone and just tried to evolve naturally by being themselves, i'd say you'd get a lot better music from them.

easy to address the next point: linkin park are awesome because of what they represented, the whole perfection through imperfection, atmospheric track style that echoes the perfection through imperfection atmosphere of real life. sure it's not the best, but it's all we got, and its who we are. they might not be the greatest musicians on the planet, if you want that, go listen to opera, but if you want something true to life and expresses parts of who you are, then the music linkin park come up with will probably be for you (providing you can relate)

MTM seeming like a britney spears rock album is drawn from what i've heard in "what i've done" and the reviews around the place that confirm that there is a 'poppy' feel. check out the front page even: song 3: It’s very listenable pop rock. track 5: both vocals and bass taking a poppy turn.

you misunderstand me here, when i said 'the telling of what our world really is', i meant through sound alone. it was seperated by a comma because it's part of the same statement ... "perfection through imperfection" is in my view what our world really is. perhaps i should have said 'representing' or 'portraying', because its' an indirect 'telling', more of a 'showing' perhaps just by being themselves. with MTM they've tried to take a direct approach and literally come out and told us what it is meant to be about. that was something that always steered clear of, because as chester once said "songs are like novels" (hahaha funny that, wonder where i've heard that before) "it's up to the reader to give it meaning".

Mark said: "So I guess you can tell that to Mike with "Kenji", "Right Now", and "Red To Black"."

Ok, there's a big difference between talking about a specific family's experience (your own, as in "kenji"), about what random people (most likely made up) could be experiencing right now (as in "right now") and about your friend's life and his experience than talking about something that affects millions of people and is in present times. mike had a sort of personal right to all the others, but i can't see them going over and fighting in iraq or living in a war torn country anytime soon, so they should not be talking about it (if they even do, i'm just talking about what has been said in interviews/reviews). if they do it tastefully and just talk about how they feel about the news and the politics of it and do a very indirect reference to the whole scene, then it's fine. just don't tell me a song is meant to be like an anthem or something to these events.

i'm fine with people having opinions, it's good, that's why i don't insult you for yours, despite what i believe about them. as for the band's, of course they have opinions, and i wouldn't have it any other way, but for the reasons above, they shouldn't put them in songs so directly (as is being hinted at, we still don't know for sure how they've done it).

i'm well aware of the band not making music for me alone, i'm simply stating that in my view this is a bad direction and hardly an improvement. i'd rather listen to anything on meteora (except 'hit the floor', that song is the only song by linkin park that i haven't liked) than 'what i've done', and if 'what i've done' is getting 5/5 while only one other gets that high a rating, then i can't see myself wanting to listen to the rest of MTM either.

hybrid theory was awesome, reanimation was the best, meteora was a good addition, most of their unreleased songs (and one, my december, carousel, part of me, technique and so on) have been great and listened to more than what's on meteora, and i'm sure i'll enjoy minutes to midnight ... however, i'll be listening to it as if it's just another rock band, and not the only people that i've actually idolized over the last 7 years.

btw, just for you mods, especially modfather, just because you don't believe linkin park are the greatest band doesn't mean they're not the greatest band to some people. always keep in mind it's down to personal preference. also don't call my opinions 'biggest load of bullcrap', that is very disrespectful and you don't know me well enough to be able to make that assessment. if we were to meet in real life, you'd probably come off second best (no i don't mean fighting, i mean when it comes to opinions and being able to back those opinions up) ... what i'm trying to say is, try not to act like nazis as if you are the be all and end all and anything else is ridiculous. we all have opinions, and yours aren't the only ones, nor are they the absolute right ones.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Believe me, you are talking crap. You're taking what you're saying beyond the realms of opinion and yes you are trying to make a judgement on MTM based on one song. Your reasoning behind saying LP songs are like stories is the case with practically any music. Go listen to Taproot.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It was unintelligible because of (1) the poor punctuation, and (2) the lack of reasoning.

Once again, you're grasping for straws. The structure of a song is only that: a song structure. Basically what you're describing here is a catchy song, of which Linkin Park has made many. A song is structured so that the intro, verses, chorus, and outro all support each other. There's nothing that special about the way Linkin Park does this. Not to say that 95% of all Linkin Park songs are structured the exact same way: intro - verse - chorus - verse - bridge - chorus - outro. There's slight variations, such as switching the first verse and chorus (Easier To Run), but other than that they refuse to deviate from the same formula, which is an example of how they've seemed to be afraid to deviate from the norm, which hopefully they're rectifying with the new album.

Of course you would do that with any music I say, because you probably aren't a fan of the same music I am, considering you're proclaiming for the most part that Linkin Park's been-there-done-that-do-it-again attitude towards new music is acceptable. Nine Inch Nails is a perfect example of innovative, intelligent music, if you feel inclined to check them out and expand your musical horizons.

Umm...duh? But we didn't from 'Meteora', and we're luckily getting it from 'Minutes To Midnight'.

You're probably not going to like this new album, that's fine. It's not going to be 12 songs of crunching guitars and interchanging rapping and screaming. But I don't see where you're coming from with all of this "What I've Done" bashing. This song is by far the best first single they've released, when compared to "One Step Closer" ("Shut up when I'm talking to you!!1!11") and "Somewhere I Belong" ("I wanna heaaal. I wanna feeeel. Like I'm close to something reeeeal.") It's finally mature. They finally sound like they're making music expected of someone their age. (27-30)

It's funny that you choose to call WID poppy, then mentioned the two poppiest songs on 'Meteora', being ETR and BTH.

I haven't had a rough life, not many issues, and I don't turn to music to cope for the most part. I fix my problems in real life and deal with them by myself. I don't need complete strangers to help me deal with things. I just want to hear decent sounding music. If the music has affected you, that's great, I'm happy for you. I can see why you're emotionally attached to this band. But it feels like you're putting them on some sort of pedestal as rock musicians, when they haven't proven they can evolve as musicians. All they've proven is that they can write music that a teenager can relate to because of the vagueness of their lyrics. I mean, hell, some of their songs feel like mad libs, where you can throw in random adjectives and verbs and get a song.

I've already covered this, and I think it's ridiculous. Why are you even making this comparison? You haven't heard the album, and choosing Britney Spears of all people is stupid. You're basing this (once again) ridiculous notion on somebody else's opinion of what's poppy. Do you not see the flaw in that?

....Listen to the album before saying something like this?

If you don't want me to misunderstand you, perhaps you should make sure what you're saying is clear. ;)

Who said they'd be going direct with their approach to New Orleans or the war? You're making things up. Perhaps the song will have the words "You will pay for your mistakes". In true Linkin Park fashion, these lyrics will very likely be transferrable from situation to situation. But they were most likely inspired by these events. For someone who likes to attach himself to the same way of doing things, you sure are inventing new ways of how the band goes about making music.

Wait until you hear the album?

The things you were spewing, like how WID sounded like a britney spears song, and how Meteora was acceptable, and how the band not evolving was fine, just completely conflicted with logic. That was blasphemous and not backed up.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

@Mark: :lol: omg...

Well, I'm hyped up on this album a lot...I'm actually really excited to hear them go in a more 'poppy' direction...I mean...who the hell says they can't do with 'pop'
    what they did with what most refer to as 'nu-metal'?

Urantia Girl

Urantia Girl Well-Known Member

My god guys save the page long essays for English class! They are a BAND. And no two people on this thing are alike.

raiyu

raiyu Active Member

Mark, it appears you are incapable of understanding me. That is not to say either of us are stupid, but we are definitely on entirely different wavelengths, because everything you just said was way off the points I was trying to make. So let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Dean: Yeah all songs should be stories in that sense, but Linkin Park seem to have done it best with the layers of atmospheric sounds. And I have listened to Taproot and bought "Blue Sky Research", great album with a very unique feel, easily their best, but still not quite hard hitting enough to become as popular as Linkin Park.

arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

this is really subjective...

everyone has their own opinon about everything, i understand waht raiyu is trying to say, and i agree in some parts but NOT in all...

and at the same time i say that Mark it's making a mistake by trying to convince other person to dislike their favorite band...

it's like trying to convince someone to leave his girlfriend just because you think its not pretty enough, the other person actually doesn't give a f**k what you think, it's his girlfriend not yours...

it's just a matter of taste...

raiyu

raiyu Active Member

Yeah, you're right, arbaks. And just for the record, Mark, my punctuation is fine. Sure I could have put a little more effort into the structuring of the sentences, but I write back to you after 2 and 3 am. If I had known I would be under such intense scrutiny, I would have made sure everything was at least close to perfection.

By the way, "A lot" is two words. Maybe you should look things like that up before you call what someone else is writing 'unintelligible diatribe', or is this another double standard of those associated with this website? Your condescending manner is not appreciated, especially when you call my opinions ridiculous and unfounded. This provokes anger and hatred and does not make for a comfortable forum environment where opinions should be able to be expressed freely.

I’ll reply to just a few of the things you have said:

Mark said: If you don't want me to misunderstand you, perhaps you should make sure what you're saying is clear.

I have been clear. Maybe you should think a little more while reading instead of jumping to RIDICULOUS conclusions and putting words in my mouth?

Mark said: The things you were spewing, like how WID sounded like a britney spears song

Spewing? Oh, very respectful. Yes, my ability to articulate thought is no different to a vulgar, oral release of consumables. Great. Speaking of mouth, this is one of the places you put words into mine, and you somehow managed to remain completely oblivious to what I was actually saying. Here’s the direct quote:

‘it almost feels like if britney spears made a rock album, she'd release "minutes to midnight"’

I’ve highlighted the words your ‘highest of high intellects’ was too busy to read. Even if you take the sentence literally, it still doesn’t say that WID sounded like a Britney Spears song (notice you use capital letters to begin names with, else you might have what you’re saying called “unintelligible diatribe”), it says if Britney Spears DID make a rock album (or song), it would probably be in this style. When I first heard WID, I immediately thought “sounds good, but it’s a bit emo, and has a poppy feel to it”. I have since read a few reviews that all seem to say similar things about the other songs, and so I have the expectation that this album will be ‘poppy’, or at least, more so than the last.

Now let’s read the sentence like a normal person, AKA, someone with a clue that isn’t just some guy in front of a computer (taking an ego trip because he’s an admin of a little website that he seems to subconsciously believe is worth something). Again, keep in mind the key words “almost” and “like”, and now let’s not take things so literally. Obviously “Britney Spears” is the extreme opposite of heavy music and the extreme example of what could be seen as the quintessence of modern pop music. And now let’s remember that Linkin Park, regardless of what they do, will never sound like Britney Spears. When something like this does not add up, the rational person (without anymore than a millisecond of thought) will know that this is intended to be a joke. Are you one of the people that voted for George W. Bush? I can see his speeches appealing to you. I bet you even take Stephen Colbert at his word and actually think he likes the president.
    Mark said: You're probably not going to like this new album, that's fine.

I would say the contrary. I like all of Linkin Park’s work, even WID, and if you read into what I was actually saying (which you’ve failed miserably at every time so far), you’d know that it’s not that I don’t like the new direction Linkin Park are going in, it’s just that I really prefer the old one and think it is by far the best music ever made, even if you don’t agree. As arbaks said, it’s subjective. So don’t try to tell me I’m wrong about it, because I can say the same thing about what you think, and then it is your word against mine and we reach a stalemate, even though I’m righter than you are (did you get that joke, or do you need it explained as well?)

I’m not sure if I’ve crossed the line here. You could be forgiven for thinking that this reply is abusive. However, after the continual insults directed at me through your pretentious, conceited ramblings of how you know more than I do, despite not even coming close to the points at hand and ignoring very simple details, I don’t see why I should be punished.

That said, I’m sick of the double standards that you seem to embrace, most likely out of the stupidity that also causes you to misunderstand everything and not have the faintest idea what people are actually saying.

I’d hate to think what your life is going to amount to, and you can probably say the same thing about me, because this is against subjective, and you look like a complete retard in my eyes, just as I look like a complete retard in your eyes.

Long story short, you and the other admins and I are not going to get along, so here’s what I think expressed in a few words: go fuck yourselves.

I could not find a ‘delete account’ option, so if you’ll kindly locate it for me and remove this account, I will be grateful. And don’t worry about having the final word. I know you would want to tell me to go fuck myself as well. Let’s call it even and forget we ever spoke.

Last explanation: the reason I wrote this reply is because I’m the type of person that needs to finish things (get closure) out of principle, so regardless of how trivial and meaningless something is, you’ll usually find me battling it out until its over.

Great to get stuff out and over with.

Bye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.