Brad Delson talks about Linkin Park's upcoming, "guitar-heavy" new album

Discussion in 'News' started by Andreina, Mar 18, 2014.

1. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

As tech n9ne says, FTI.

2. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

That song represents everything wrong with our society right now. The fucking narcissism is staggering...and the fucked up part is that's not too far off from how a lot of people are these days.

Disgusting.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Off-topic, but you do realize the song is tongue-in-cheek, right? It's satire.

4. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't know how perceptive most LP fans are when it comes to satire :rolleyes:

I find "#SELFIE" pretty funny.

5. mastae

mastae Some Honky

"#SELFIE" is a shitty version of Internet Friends. It's the same exact tongue-in-cheek satire, but with incredibly boring production.

6. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

But at that point LPs album was Minutes to Midnight which should be really close? And Green Days last album should be compared to Living Things if you ask me.
    I don't really think we should compare total sales of an artist, because the record company most likely is just interested in what they are doing now.

Thanks for the info with their own record label.

PS: Metallicas last album was lulu?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  7. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

I am not so certain about that. Gats is special because of Rakim and it is done by one of the most popular Rockacts out there. At the moment I don't see any other band that is willing to take this risk (and I don't mind, I like Pop and electronic elements).

But you can probably name a few of these bands, I am always open for "new" music :)

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The most common comparison is Avenged Sevenfold and their ilk. Having a guest rapper doesn't make it all that special, considering that a.) Linkin Park are from an era where rock and metal bands doing the rent-a-rapper thing was common and b.) even A7X did a song with Machine Gun Kelly two years ago.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  9. l4g_testify

l4g_testify Well-Known Member

But first, let me take a selfie

10. Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Spitz, I don't usually agree with your often cynical viewpoint on these threads but fuck me sideways if this isn't the truth. It's not that radio plays bad music, it just doesn't play your music.

11. l4g_testify

l4g_testify Well-Known Member

My music varies my friends, it's not just rock I like lol and I never said the radio plays bad music. I'm talking about promotion, like everyone else. Don't be so butt hurt

12. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

Well, for me Rakim is on another level compared to MGK or anyone else that I would have imagined for a possible collab.

Ok, Avenged Sevenfold I can at least understand. Still what is special to me in this case that one of the most influential radio rock acts is actually releasing something that is quiet heavy for radio stations and it was fun to hear all the reactions by hosts and listeners of my radio stations

I don't see another popular band/ act that would really try/ dare something like this. For me this kind of attitude is what always was special about LP. I have a pretty diverse taste in music and they are ticking the right boxes for me most of the times.

13. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

That is why Linkin Park is my favorite band. They bring much diversity to their music, and it looks like the same will be true for this new album. They always have something new to bring to the plate, and a lot of bands (especially today) fail to experiment and evolve.

14. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

You're going to get the people that will come in here and say that what GATS represents isn't experimentation or evolution in music at all. I, however, agree with you. Within LP's own realm, this is far outside the box. This is nothing like HT or Meteora and I really believe it'll be just as "far off" as ATS was, but in a different direction.

I agree with your entire post though.

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Right, because rap-metal is the one genre Linkin Park hasn't tried yet.

16. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Just putting that out there, but you gotta be coherent there. It's difficult for me to see "GATS is a generic A7X-type metal song" argument combine with this other one "GATS isn't anything new for LP, because: rap-metal".

You perfectly know the Rakim part is that one part which doesn't makes GATS unique in regard to LP discography. But you ommit to say that pretty much all the rest of the song does. Technical drumming? Check. Super fast tempo? Check. A7x riff? Check. Heavy guitar solo? Check. Raw sound? Check. 6 min song? Check. Long intro? Check.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You're accusing me of cognitive dissonance, which is the feeling caused by holding two directly contradictory opinions simultaneously. GATS sharing a lot of similarities with the average A7X song does not mean it isn't also well-tread ground for Linkin Park genre-wise. It's a more a muscular version of QWERTY, which ends up making GATS sound like an average bro-metal song, and I will continue to use "bro-metal" as an umbrella term for subgenres such as rap-/nu-/groove-metal, metalcore and hard rock. It having subtle programming and a rapped verse doesn't automatically make it not a bro-metal song. Just one that uses extremely outdated cliches. I'm not incoherent simply because you either don't or flat-out refuse to understand me.

18. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

And you're accusing me of not being smart enough to get such a simple and clear point as GATS = bro-metal = generic, outdated, insipid, not fresh at all, even for LP, which used to make that bro-metal shit.

And it's precisely that last implication that GATS isn't innovative for LP that I and many others wouldn't agree with at all. Including all those different kinds of hard rock/metal music under a same umbrella in order to imply that it's a familiar musical territory for LP is a little easy. And then, some people get mad when some describe every type of electronic music as "techno"..... Despite all you might say, GATS has a lot of elements that have never or rarely been included in any LP songs, which I mentioned earlier. Even if you point out some similarities with Qwerty, this last one only consists in one song in an entire discography.

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Do you not entertain the idea that there's a slight possibility that something similar to this song would've ended up on the hypothetical heavy album that was hinted at during MTM's production? That if QWERTY was actually indicative of the then-upcoming album, that a song in a similar vein as GATS would've feasibly been one of ten others just like it? Because Linkin Park didn't get their reputation for being genre-hoppers until MTM. Practically every other nu-metal band that was around during Linkin Park's peak did one of two things after nu-metal faded away: transition to post-grunge or become heavier and comparatively more technical. The latter describes GATS pretty well. That's why it's not innovative. This is Linkin Park's bizarro version of Limp Bizkit's "The Truth".

The biggest reason it appears to be getting the most praise out of any of their other singles while being a complete dud on the charts is because their fanbase has undeniably dwindled over the past decade to where it's mostly fair-weather fans saying shit like, "Aw, man. Linkin Park are back to their roots!" and the people who don't like Linkin Park are completely apathetic. Linkin Park aren't radio juggernauts anymore. They can easily be ignored.

20. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Not according to Chester :kappa: