What did you listen to when you were younger?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by ...Lauren?, Jun 7, 2006.

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

And I mean a lot younger, like when you were 10.

When I was 10 1/2 I ran around singing "Last Resort" by Papa Roach. My other favorite songs were by Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, and Staind.

So... when you were 10/11/12, did you run around singing the latest teen pop sensation like the rest of the kids or were your music tastes similar to what they are now?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
    Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I didn't really listen to music back then... don't know why, I just didn't.

I really liked Nickelback's "This Is How You Remind Me", though. That's all I can remember.

Detri

Detri Well-Known Member

Thinking about you being 10 when that song came out makes me feel OLD. =(

I grew up on Scorpions, Soundgarden, Billy Idol, Whitesnake, Run DMC, Metallica, NWA, etc.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

When I was really young (8 or 9) I was into the whole compilation CD thing, with the "Now Music 5" or whatever, and movie soundtracks, like Space Jam. Then around 10 or 11, the pop thing kicked into full gear and I listened to Britney Spears. And that was pretty much it. Then from 12 to 13 or 14, I listened to a lot of the radio hip-hop, like 50 Cent's singles and some Eminem, and a little bit of mild, what I'd consider now to be "boring rock", like all the generic Nu-Metal stuff, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Three Days Grace, that sort of thing, mainly the singles. Then from about late 14 to 15 I got into Linkin Park and other mainstream metal, like Slipknot and that sort of thing, and that was when I started listening to full albums rather than just singles and compilation crap. Then from about late 15 to 16 I got into Nine Inch Nails really heavily, and since then it's progressed to now, where I listen to a lot of noise assembled into a salsa rhythm (The Mars Volta) or kids from random rural towns with acoustic guitars and synthesizers talking about politics and love (Rilo Kiley).

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

When I was 10, I listened to everything.

Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Korn, Nirvana, Collective Soul, Nine Inch Nails, Van Halen, Britney Spears.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I grew up listening to the classics. The Beatles, Queen, the Moody Blues, The Who, The Police, a good deal of U2, and musical soundtracks. When I turned eleven, I started listening to more adult contemporary music (Dido anyone?) and all sorts of eighties pop and dance. Duran Duran, The Pet Shop Boys, and Madonna come to mind.

I gradually started sifting in some harder rock, even a little metal, when I turned thirteen, picked up punk at about fifteen, and in the past few years have started to love shoegazing and ska. But I still love the stuff I started with.

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

I actually started listening to the radio in 2003, 3 years after the song came out. But they still played it occasionally. And don't feel old, I won't be allowed to drive for 3 years, or have an alcoholic drink for 8 years. I'm madder at you for making me feel young.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

My older sister made me listen to The spice girls.

My mom made me listen to The everly brothers. o_O

But I liked U2 and The smashing pumpkins alot.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I listened to a strange mix of music. I was into the boy-band craze (hey, it's really good music) but I was raised music-wise by my uncle. He had me listening to what HE listened to back in the day, which included Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction, and the Smashing Pumpkins. When he jumped to the hip-hop ship, with artists like Snoop Dogg, Master P, and the like, I followed.

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

Mostly Hip-hop like 50 cent,Nelly etc. and also linkin park. pretty much anything on the radio I wasn't really into music...I even bought a Shaggy cd *shudders* oh and Limp Biskit in the Chocolate Starfish... era. from Linkin Park I was introduced to things like FFAF and then the likes of Bullet and then onto heavier things...I kinda went back to the alternative metal thing like Disturbed and Mudvayne after hearing Duality on a complimation CD and then buying the 3rd Slipknot album.

Oh and my like of NIN is soley due to hearing about how good they are from this board.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Grades 4-6
    Pop. SClub7 were huge in my books. Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Britney Spears.
    Grade 7
    Popular rap and rock. Eminem, Kid Rock, Dr. Dre.
    Grades 8-9
    Heavier rock. Linkin Park, Finger Eleven, Papa Roach, P.O.D, Nickelback.

And from there on I progressed into more rock, metal, industrial, and hardcore bands (30 Seconds To Mars, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Alexisonfire, Thrice).

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

What I grew up on from my parents:
    -Led Zepplin
    -Aerosmith
    -Hall and Oates
    -Foreigner
    -Chicago
    -The Beatles
    -Billy Joel
    -Tears For Fears
    -U2
    -Duran Duran
    ...etc.

What I grew up on from my brother:
    -Pearl Jam
    -Bush
    -The Smashing Pumpkins
    -Oasis
    -Green Day
    -No Doubt
    ...etc.

I've always listened to rock music. I listened to boy bands (Hanson, Nsync, BSB) as well in my pre-teen and early teen years while listening to the music I mentioned above, then switched to all rock music (Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Green Day) when my life started going through personal problems.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Misfits, Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Who, and Syd Barret-era Pink Floyd.

*AloneInHerDarkRoom*

*AloneInHerDarkRoom* Well-Known Member

I use to listen to the Spice girls and boy bands. My favorite boy band was the Backstreet Boys. I also listened to what was on MTV. When I turned 13 I started listening to LP and that led me into other rock bands.

Link

Link lolwut

311, Rage Against The Machine, Jamiriquoi(?), Bush, Live, other mid-90's stuff. And a lot of country. Brooks And Dunn especially. I was a big Michael Jackson fan.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Alot of Deep Purple.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

When I was younger, I was very much into N'Sync. I don't know. They were just an awesome band to me. I mean, their music is still kinda okay. It's not so bad to the point where you have to shut it off once you hear less than a second of it.

I used to listen to a lot of Greek music and Italian music, because that's what my Dad usually had on in the car. I didn't understand the Greek music very well, and I didn't understand one bit of the Italian music, but I got used to it and it was partially enjoyable.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

I listened to a lot of my parents stuff when I was younger. My dad has never really been into music, but my mom always played Phil Collins, REM, Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, Genesis, and all that kind of stuff from the late 80s/90s.

After that I got into a bit of classic rock and alternative like Radiohead, Blur, the Chemical Brothers, the Offspring, and all those bands. I was in grade 6 when the Offspring's "Americana" was big and we played/sang "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)" and "Get A Job" countless times.

Then came my rap phase, yep. I was into stuff like Dr. Dre, DMX, Eminem, Ice Cube, the Rascalz. I was such a nerd back then but I still liked it!

After I got into bands like Linkin Park things changed. At this time (Grade 8-9) I got into LP and was quite obsessed with them until the time "Meteora" came out and started to branch out. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Tool and System of A Down were my first bands that were doing stuff out of the ordinary. Then slowly I got into metal, and Metallica's "Master of Puppets" lead to a world of headbanging.

Other musical turning points:
    - Hearing Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under" on Easter Sunday 3 years ago.
    - Listening to Opeth's "Blackwater Park" for the first time.
    - Listening to Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" which got me into jazz and inspired me to make music a career.

linkinpark4life_69

linkinpark4life_69 Well-Known Member

I used to listen to everything that was popular I guess
    Alot of Mainstream
    Alot of muchmusic
    So ya, um, spice girls, aqua, jewel, moist, our lady peace, U2, I mother earth,
    the band that sang how bizarre
    um< I DUNno

Jawsome

Jawsome Well-Known Member

I was forced to listen to mostly pop music on the school bus. I listened to alot of smash mouth, goo goo dolls, bush, matchbox 20, sugar ray, third eye blind.

Then I found Linkin Park the summer before their cd came out. From there I got into harder rock music and left that stuff behind for the most part.