The LPA Anime Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by SuperDude526, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Yeah, that it. Not phony, I just don't think kids are quite developed enough to know what marriage entails. Also, I am not particular fond of the concept of marriage of itself... so there's that.

Still, it's a really good movie and it's better than some Miyazaki films. I actually couldn't shut up about the movie a few years ago, it had captured me so tightly.

2. Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

Hmm, did not know Arrietty was not by Miyazaki. Shows how ignorant I am.
    I think I'm drawn more to the less adult-oriented films. :lol: Still, I really enjoy the more emotional dramas, so I really will have to check all those outsometime. I have quite the anime backlog as it is.

3. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Let's just face it: Studio Ghibli puts out arguably the best work in anime films. They're basically in a class completely their own.

4. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Just saw the first episode of Attack on Titan (by Death Note director). Yeah, looks pretty awesome. Amazing animation and character design. Very emotional and the plot seems nice, too.

*EDIT*
    Watched all 12 episodes that are released so far and I'm thrilled. Although they decelerated a bit, that's probably just normal if a series starts off so epic. I read somewhere that the whole thing is going to be 24 episodes, and I'm fully okay with that. No more 200+/never-ending-story/filler anime for me. Oh, and there will also be a live action movie. . . (*facepalm*)
    No fillers, please, no fillers.
    *EDIT2*
    Will I ever stop reading these spoiling YouTube comments? ...

[video=youtube;tJ4AL67e78c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4AL67e78c[/video]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  5. Jesse

Attack on Titan is a great show but it has horrible animation. There are entire scenes that are just pan and scan and not animated in any other way, and there are scenes for an extended period where lips don't even move on the people speaking.

6. SuperDude526

It's just too gruesome for my tastes.

7. I Like Cheese

I Like Cheese Well-Known Member

The pacing on Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) was getting really, really off, from about episode six through episode 13. Released a couple days ago, episode 14 pretty much put us back on track, but those eight episodes just dragged on and on and on.

8. sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Was anyone else really disappointed with Garden of Words?

The two main characters were just feeling sorry for themselves.

9. Jesse

I was kind of creeped out because I didn't know if it was supposed to be a love story or not. If so, weird. If not, it's kind of inspirational.

10. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Recently hopped back onto the anime craze.

- All caught up with Shingeki No Kyojin (Attack On Titan) and it is amazing. If you choose to watch this title, please for the love of god, do not google anything. I've already done the disservice to myself of ruining a good part of the series thus far.

- completed Sword Art Online. Definitely nothing spectacular, but the premise is great and the overall progression of the first arc was a fantastic ride. The Alfheim arc is where the remainder of the series definitely falters.

11. Serenity

I'm really enjoying "Watamote" at the moment. It's so painfully awkward. :lol:

12. Snail

Neon Genesis Evangelion...is extremely boring. Wow.

13. Jesse

Neon Genesis Evangelion... Boring? wha... WHAT? WOW.

And I've been meaning to watch Watamote. Hmm.

14. Snail

The series is understandably a gem of the genre, and I can see why and will not refute it. Nevertheless, it doesn't detract from the fact that it has been quite a chore to sit through. I'm on episode 18 right now, and so far I've been provided with a crybaby of a protagonist, wooden characters, formulaic episodes, and a monotonous ost. I'm confident that the series will escalate into something far more entertaining by the end; crossing my fingers.

15. Serenity

Do it!

[​IMG]

--
    Hmm, I've been meaning to watch Evangelion... :shifty:
    I really should get on that.

16. SuperDude526

17. Jesse

I've watched From UP on Poppy Hill. It was sort of predictable in a way but I thought it was still a really good movie. It's a much "slower" Studio Ghibli film than most are used to, that's for sure.

18. SuperDude526

For sure. Whisper of the Heart is far superior of the non-Hayao Ghibli films.

19. Serenity

Haven't had the chance to see it yet. Didn't even know it had a release in the US back in March...probably was just a limited release though. >_<
    Will read your review, Supe, to see if it's worth buying on Amazon or something.

20. SuperDude526

Both are worth watching, but Whisper of the Heart is clearly the superior non-Miyazaki Ghibli film. It's actually probably the best in general of the non-Miyazaki releases. Although as a writer, I might be biased for loving a film that's basically about writers.