Mr. Bennington's vocals

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Nobody Can Shave Me Now, Apr 19, 2011.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Celine Dion
    Mariah Carey
    Christina Aguilera

are whom I consider legends in terms of female singers.

Pink?! That is a first..

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

No. Just no.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Christina Aguilera lost her "legend" rights when she butchered the US national anthem at the Super Bowl :lol:

Just to clear it up, I think p!nk has one of the best voices in today's modern industry.
    Song-wise, NO SHES NOT A LEGEND.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Can Pink Scream?

To me, that's what sets Chester apart from a lot of other vocalists. He's got the amazing voice along with the ability to scream his longs out.

You have a point.
    However, many singers don't scream because they don't do the genres that involve screaming.

And honestly, I'm not too fond of screams. :\

Yes, Chester has more versatality, but P!nk has more emotion and technically she's better. Especially live.

It's just my opinion though. I know alot of people will disagree with me on this. And that's fine.

os neutral

os neutral Well-Known Member

First its a little ridiculious to rank vocalists because it's difficult to compare so many different kinds of characteristics of a vocalist that plays into his overall performance. Also most artists never gain enough popularity to be recognized because they have never made the right music at the right place at the right time to draw attention of the right people.
    Personally I don't consider Chester as beeing among the best voices our time. And I don't see him beeing very versatile either. Although his screaming and melodic singing is much different from each other his style seems pretty fixed. What I mean is that his spectrum is wide but it consists mostly of gaps.
    Also he has a weakness which made LP strong in the first place. When I started listening to LP what I liked a lot was how energetic their music was, it hat a very powerful sound. Chesters voice fits into that environment almost perfectly. But he still hasn't shown he can also sing more relaxed and easy. Even in very melodic songs like LOATR he always has a tension in his voice. He never sounds calm which can be very exhausting after while. This is my very own opinion but I think it is a technical shortcomming. I think he could overcome it as he grows older but after 10 years I would expect more improvement from a 'top rank' vocalist.
    Also I agree with "Best Asian Ever" that he often goes off key on live performances which says alot about his qualities.

While I agree he can scream very well the spectrum of screaming is pretty slim. The harder you scream your lungs out the less room there is for comlexity in other words, screaming is more primitive than 'singing'. This is the reason why I personally get bored of it very fast.

Still Chester has a very distinct voice. He def adds a chunk to the spectrum of voices. I still listen to LOATR, Numb or Crawling from time to time just to hear that special clear melody sound he contributes because I don't get it from anyone else.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Actually what kind of singing style did he use in The Messenger? It's like him screaming, without the process of screaming (if you know what I mean).

os neutral

os neutral Well-Known Member

Yeah, he doesn't scream but he holds the tension as if he were screaming. The Messenger is maybe the most extreme example of this. But actually he always does that to a certain degree and it limits his versatility imo.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I believe that has to do with saving his voice. Screamers often hurt their throats by...... screaming.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Chester is one of the best around. For sure. He can sing, no denying that. He can't scream anymore but hey thats alright.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I don't think he goes off key very often at all live. I think there's some pretty bad assessments in this thread. And now that os neutral is back I'm sure this thread will get even more interesting.

On some performances, and some SONGS, he's really off key.

However, this could be because he has trouble hearing himself on stage.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

During the "Midnight" touring cycle, like, on the DSP's and the proshot videos ... yeah, I didn't like Chester's performances much. They're really great now, though. :"

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

I didn't like Chester's vocals in 07-08. He's been sounding amazing during the ATS tour though.