Chester Speaks On New Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

In the latest Linkin Park Newsletter, Chester stepped in to answer some questions from fans about the new album.

What is the writing process like?

"It’s fun. We all get a chance to release and contribute creatively. Rick Rubin, the producer on our new record, has us working in a style that we’ve never done before, so it’s different for us. We’ll come up with ideas individually then come together and work on it as a band. We decide together what direction the songs will go... but this album will be more vocally driven than any of our other ones. So usually, Mike and I write lyrics, and the rest of the guys write their parts to them. Brad is really great at structuring the songs. It’s obviously a lot of work, but I love my job, so it makes working fun for us."

Do you and Mike write together?

"We both write songs and melodies, and we both have our own personal things we write about, so some of the songs start out separately then we put them together and work on them together. But we both have songs that we’ve written on our own. Usually we tweak each other’s stuff and go from there."

Is there one main person who determines the lyricism?

"Nope, there are two. Me and Mike. But Mike is really good at making lyrics flow, so he perfects a lot of what we do together."

Does the whole band sit down together?

"Every week. We’re still in the early stages where we’re working out our individual parts first. Each of the guys write their own part for their own instrument. But we have a band meeting every week, and we partner up on a lot of what we’re doing. We get together at the studio every week and listen to each other’s stuff. Then we all get to decide what to keep, what to change and help each other with what we’ve been working on."

And the rest work on the production?

"Everyone does the production. But if you’re asking me if everyone works on their own parts, yes they do. But we all help each other out when we need it. We’re a band, so nothing is solo."

Is your writing a reflection of where you are in life?

"A lot has changed for me since Meteora. I married Talinda, and have 3 sons, so I guess as I’m growing up and getting older, so is the music. You can’t repeat the same things in life and not learn. The same goes for music with me."

Will the lyrical content be similar to any of your previous work or can we expect something TOTALLY new?

"Both. We’re still Linkin Park, and you’ll hear that. But we have a lot of material that is totally new and nothing you’ve heard from us before. Rick Rubin is producing the record, and he’s done so many different types of albums. We wanted something new but still with our vibe."

Are you also a writer in the traditional sense of the word i.e. short stories, fiction, etc.?

"Yes. I love to write stories and poems. I did an interview for a book recently, and it ended up to be a story of my childhood and how I was influenced to play music. It ended up to be about 6 pages."

Do you find your writing as a form of release or pseudo-therapy?

"Yeah. It gives me a chance to express myself creatively and to get my feelings out. Some people work out, some people paint, I write and sing. It lets me release my aggression and share my thoughts with fans and friends.

We can’t wait for you to hear the new music. Thanks for all your support, our fans mean the world to us and we’re so excited to see you on tour later this year."

Source: LP.com Newsletter

Thanks to Paul!

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

That's good to hear.

bennodashipper

bennodashipper Member

yay! another LP update! this time its from chazzy chaz. one thing caught my attention though:

Are you also a writer in the traditional sense of the word i.e. short stories, fiction, etc.?

"Yes. I love to write stories and poems. I did an interview for a book recently, and it ended up to be a story of my childhood and how I was influenced to play music. It ended up to be about 6 pages."

I wonder if Chester's gonna write an autobiography? kinda like Anthony Kiedis...? if he does...i'll DEFINITELY go and get one!

Shapeshift

Shapeshift Member

That'd rock about his autobiography. I wonder what it'd be called...

Scarred, Tattooed, Pierced... The life of Chester Bennington.

And he has 3 kids!!? I bet they all got kickass names, I know one is from his previous marriage with Samantha, I believe the kid was called Draven.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

nice to see LP are still hard at work!

Dragon88

Dragon88 Member

yep, tha't very nice. We want the new record ;)

bennodashipper

bennodashipper Member

gosh i can't wait for the next LP record!

as for chester's sons...there's Draven 4yrs old (of course his first son with Samantha), Tyler Lee (his new bay with Talinda) and Jamie 10yrs old(?) (they say he's Talinda's son from a previous relationship)

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

What stood out to me was when he mentioned that the album was going to be a mix of what we'd expect and something totally new. The vocal driven part i think is a good approach for this new album. after hearing some of chesters solo stuff, i'm really looking for more melodic songs with that LP feel. Can't wait!

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

Chester surely has gone through some interesting things in the past 4 years that would make for great music on Lp's new record. You can tell it's going to be very different then Hybrid Theory or Meteora because of their maturity levels though.

Link

Link lolwut

Good interview. You think they'd be together more, writing a new record and all.

Janie Jones

Janie Jones Meghna is a Headcase

Excited about the 'vocally driven' part...really hope it will take a different turn from meteora...though my hopes aren't very high about them recreating something as amazing as hybrid theory...

Link

Link lolwut

I thought the 'vocally driven' part was a bit strange, since the other albums aren't exactly instrumentally driven.

Nothin*2*lose

Nothin*2*lose Well-Known Member

These interviews are all starting to sound the same....

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

No kidding. With the popularity Linkin Park has gained over the past years, you'd think the press would be jumping to get an interview with them. Unless they just don't really know about it too much yet. :S

DaveForester

DaveForester Well-Known Member

"...we’re so excited to see you on tour later this year."

Hope so. But I don't take the sentence too serious.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

yah i know the only reason i know about the new album is cause of this site, ive never heard anything on it on MTV or any other music channel and everybody i know only knows there makin a new album is cause i told em :p they should put it on mtv news or sumthin

linkinrockrapark

linkinrockrapark Member

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Well it is Chester doing a song live. I dunno who it's by or even if there are any other LP members, but the song is rockin', weather it's a cover or a song off his solo album, I dunno but it doesn't look the there's anyone else from LP playing with him.

manutd

manutd Member

I think the new albim will be different because Shinoda is gone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.