Apple or Windows?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by hawk, Sep 11, 2010.

dereklp

dereklp :Not here:

Buy a macbook and put Windows 7 on it. yay

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Note taken.

I am really edging for the Macbook Pro at the moment, can anyone give me a reason why not to buy one?

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I would say because its Apple, but I have an iPod Nano, so thats not a valid argument. Mainly the price, and how user unfriendly is.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

What Jay said. Have you tried using a Mac before? I feel like punching the screen within a few minutes.

Again, desktops are much better if you don't need a laptop.

hawk

iPods are better than Macbook Pro's :lol:

SabiLP

SabiLP Well-Known Member

Apple products are in Slovakia really overpriced... so I can only dream about iPhone, or Macbook

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Apple. Windows always finds a way to give me headaches.

hawk

Same here dude. I also hate viruses and shit.
    I think I'll be buying it on Tuesday (early school day).

Hunter

Hunter Tactical Posting Action

I like Apple products better myself but I've been raised on Windows, so its to much of a pain in the ass to start over on a Mac and learn the ins and outs!

hawk

But once you do it's great?

Ant

Ant Ambient

There are plenty of reasons not to buy one (just as there are plenty of reasons not to buy a Windows laptop).

What Jay said about OS X being user unfriendly is spot-on. That has been the biggest complaint against the operating system from day one, and even all but the most rabid Apple followers will tell you it's not user friendly. It's not hard to operate by any means, but Apple made some odd design choices here and there. It's no Linux, but it's not as easy-to-use as Windows.

Like I said earlier, Apple products do cost a slight premium, but in my opinion the build quality normally makes up for that. Apple makes some sturdy and gorgeous systems -- probably the best you're going to find out there.

As far as them being extremely fast -- surprisingly, they're generally faster than Windows PCs that have the same equipment (processor, RAM, etc). But, as I just said, you're paying a premium... if you pay the same amount for a Windows PC, you'll generally get a faster processor, which means they'll have the speed advantage (generally speaking; there are some exceptions, such as when you purchase a thin-and-light).

There aren't as many programs available, and Windows programs aren't compatible, obviously. There generally are counterparts for the most important programs, but not all Windows programs have a Mac equal, if that makes sense. A lot of the bigger programs have versions for both operating systems, though (such as web browsers, Microsoft Office, etc).

Despite what anyone tells you, there are security issues with OS X, and they're just as dangerous as Windows security issues. Every operating system has flaws somewhere. That said, you don't need an antivirus, and you probably aren't going to run into these security issues as long as you're smart about how you browse the Internet and what programs you use (but, really, that's the same on Windows, there are just far more threats on Windows).

You said you're getting it for multimedia, and Windows easily has some of the best multimedia features when you take into account Windows Media Center on the premium (and higher) editions. If that's an issue for you (and you have a product that has a media center extender built-in, which honestly, is awesome), you're better of with Windows. But from the sounds of it, you just want to listen to music and browse the web. In which case, either is fine.

This is just a quick run-through based on what's been said in this thread. There's plenty more reasons (and counter-points). Just buy what you want. Seems you're gonna be doing that anyway, haha.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

I like Apple and Windows. Many people would say "zomg apple haz no virusess" or "pc's aree for fat guyss in suits" but it's all stereotypical. It's all about what you like. What you prefer. It's like Droid vs. iPhone. Dumb argument.

hawk

Thanks Ant and NickDiffy. I'll let you know what I end up getting.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I wouldn't take a clerk's advice to be honest. He's trying to make an extra buck by selling you the most expensive thing in that area. I know cos I used to do it myself.

Okay so I've done some research for you Hawk, and this is what I've come up with:

Dell Shits Over Apple when it comes to speed look at the table!

Source

Source

Source

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Wow, the article about Dell vs Mac is 8 years old and no longer relevant since the G4 chips aren't even used anymore, and the rest of the articles come from a site called mac-sucks.com which is hardly an unbiased source. I really hope you weren't being serious with that post.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I like Microsoft's operating systems. I can organise tags and stuff in WMP pretty much exactly the way I want it. And play computer games. :) And I even get to right-click, rather than that annoying click-both-buttons-and-hold thing that I have to do on the Mac OS X.

I also, of course, love the visual aesthetic and the way I can customise it at will.

But that's what I like it for; obviously, what you're looking for in an operating system is a bit different. ;P

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Ultimately what you pay for when you buy Apple is build quality, not specs. There are windows PCs that will have similarly good build quality so that the investment will last for years. You just won't find a machine that lasts longer than a mac for the same price in 90% of cases. Many people will point to how long their craptastic Dell Inspiron has lasted, and most of us have stories like that where a single crappy PC just keeps kicking. This is because, as with any line of product that is not carefully assessed for quality, you can get a winner or a loser.

If you're planning on using it for gaming I say get a PC. Regardless of the availability of games for the Mac platform of computers OS X just simply does not compare favorably with Windows graphical performance for video games, particularly not considering some recent issues with certain drivers. Also because of the expense of the Mac platform keeping a Mac in good specs to run a recent game is overly costly, whereas a decent throwaway gaming PC can be had for slightly greater than the cost of your average game console. So for games, I agree with the popular stereotype: Go PC. Buy new, buy often.

Essentially if you buy a Mac you're making an investment and getting a computer you plan to keep for a long, long, time. This makes great sense for college students who want a single computer to last them for 4-5 years, etc., and the sheer number of great user-facing features built into Mac OS X (time machine, etc.,) mean that you're less likely (if you take advantage of them) to suffer a catastrophic loss of data. When my hard drive failed in my macbook I was able to replace it, restore from my time machine backup and nearly everything was exactly how I had left it a couple days before. I DID need to re-add my CD keys but that's a minor issue if you're prudent and keep track of them.

The PC is all about upgrade cycles, however. It progresses in such a way as to force the best specs for the lowest prices, so if you care deeply about specs but not how long the device will last, I say PCs are just fine. Consider replacing the stock hard drive in any device you order for serious improvement gains, cheap PCs often have very poor quality hard drives that have a low RPM. If you can afford the money an SSD drive will offer you significant increases in performance in I/O interfacing.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Those are some of the most ignorant points I have ever seen made.. ever. OS X is the gold standard of being able to pick it up quickly and easily.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah. I hate how on a Mac I can't play World of... oh wait.

And how I can't play Counterstr... scratch that.

Or any games on Steam bec... oh yeah.

Well fuck. :lol:

Ant

Ant Ambient

FYI, Valve released Steam for Mac earlier this year. I can't recall if Counter-Strike has been released yet, but if it hasn't, it will be. I know for a fact that Half-Life 2 (and its episodes), Portal and Team Fortress 2 are playable on a Mac.