No guitars in ATS? Really?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Polychromatic, Sep 30, 2010.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Exactly lol. Why do people make such a big deal about it? How many bands do LP fans listen to that solo compared to their whole music collection, that AREN'T metal or some offshoot of metal or hard rock. Some genres don't lend themselves well to solos. I would compare Linkin Park to Postal Service more than I would Tool. They're more about the overall atmosphere of the song rather than "bass play this, guitar play this, drums play this".

Exactly. No offense to anyone, but I'm a guitarist and it's annoying when budding or non-musicians act like a certain thing makes you a better _____ player. Blues or pentatonic scale? Overused by metal and not difficult to do. Brad took music theory like I did so I know he knows all about scales, inversions, modes etc. The only current guitarists that impresses me at all with solos is Jack White and Matt Bellamy. A7X is not unique. Metallica is not unique anymore. If you're listening to a song and it doesn't scream "SOLO" as part comes up, don't put a solo on it. And Linkin Park has a handful of songs where I get the feeling it needs a solo.

I do feel like Robot Boy could have had a crazy guitar solo still following in the mold of the synth solo.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yeah. Whether or not they're actualy on that high a level, I'd honestly be surprised if Brad or any of the instrument players in the band are actually playing at full capacity that often in the band's albums, if ever. I think as much as anything it really is a case of them putting an emphasis on the song as opposed to the technical skill of an individual member, for better or for worse.
    They can still come up with more interesting parts to that end, but even if they haven't been making huge steps I think they have more or less moved forward in that respect, and it seems like a logical step from where they are now to do that more next time they're recording and releasing music. But they're pretty meticulous about making sounds and putting them together and with Linkin Park I think it'll probably always be about that as much as it'll ever be about showing off an individual's technical skill. If any of them ever decide they want to be in a band where they can do that more maybe it'll come in the form of another side-project.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
    Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

He definitely isn't a good guitarist.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I guess you have to play ridiculously hard notes to be considered decent.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

To be a good guitarist, in my opinion, you have to either be really creative or be able to play uncreative things very well. There are some really good guitar players out there that play things that aren't very difficult, but are really difficult to even conceptualize in the first place. Brad does neither of these things.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

This.

beslee

beslee Member

watch faints solo in outro in rock am ring 2007. very good solo. about brad. Being a good guitarist doesnt mean good solist vice and versa...brad is very melodic,he passes many feelings with his riffs. For example wes borland is such a talented guitarist but his riffs are all about armonics and power chords. so why do you complain? brad himself has told that he doesnt want to show of and also he said that solos will not fit in LP sound. he wants the guitar to be like keyboard or strings. thats why he puts delay and reverb when he plays clean and thats why he plays octaves in many songs

Shayan86

No you don't. In order to be a decent guitarist, you're not supposed to be a Hendrix, Clapton, or Page. All you have to do is to play well, be a little bit creative with your instrument and try as hard as possible to challenge yourself all the time by playing varied riffs as much as you can.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

When you're creating an electronic-pop concept record like LP did with ATS, don't expect crazy riffage. Just saying.

Justin V.

Bam! And I don't think any LP album will call for crazy riffage, because they're not a straight up rock band.

Dean

I think he's generally good at the role he fills within the band... but there's still room for him to be better and more interesting while staying true to they way they write songs. To some extent you can still say pretty much the same thing about all of the instrument players in the band to be honest. But again, I think they're better players on record than they were to begin with and if they carry on moving forward it makes sense that they'd try to improve further in that respect, so I don't necessarily think of it as a glaring problem that they'll never ever rectify. It's just an area where there's room for improvement, and if they acknowledge that they can still get better it's healthy.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    Shayan86

HT, Meteora and MTM weren't electronic-pop records, and we didn't hear anything special from Brad (bar a very few moments) in those records too.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

To be honest, that solo just sounds like a very fast jumble of notes played together. Sure it's frigging EPIC and makes Faint my favourite song live, but we need Brad to go that extra step. In Pieces is an amazing solo in the context of what they were trying to achieve, along with TLTGYA. To be honest, I was disappointed with the "guitar solos" we were told about in ATS. I was expecting something just as magnificent as the above, if not better.

Dean

I don't really like the Faint and In Pieces solos. I think they're why I'm apprehensive about him trying to be a flashier guitarist.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

With In Pieces, the songs intensity gradually increased, the transition between the chorus and last chorus would be lame and slow with textural guitars.

Brad once said he likes guitars that create a big sound and atmosphere rather than breaking out a large guitar solo. Like I said before he isn't here to be a show-stealer.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Tell me anywhere that a guitar solo would be appropriate in the music LP were trying to create in HT or M and then we'll talk.

Despite being rock albums, those two albums weren't ones where solos were necessary. Not to mention they still didn't play a role in anything besides being texture.

Dean

I never said there shouldn't be a solo there. Just that I think the one that is isn't great and that it barely fits the mood of the song.

Justin V.

Nail on the head. Again, people just want LP to be their everything band. They want them to do EVERYTHING MUSICALLY POSSIBLE in the course of an album.

Faint = crappy solo. Period. If you think that solo is awesome but, no offense, I'd venture to say you aren't a guitar player or you're just starting out. Scaling up one string with some bends is not impressive nor difficult. In Pieces works within the song but it's just hammer-ons and pull-offs. Not hard. Plus Brad is kind of like Adam Jones from Tool, solos just don't appeal to them as guitar players.

Now LTGYA was a good solo to me. It escalated the emotion of the song and played off of the central melodic theme. I think Brad is good at what he's good at, which is playing rock music and making catchy riffs. I don't seem him as a John Frusciante style lead guitarist or Adam Jones/Tom Morello effects laden lead player.

Name a guitar player you like better than Brad? Not hard right? Now is that same band bigger than Linkin Park? Yeah, exactly. The band as a whole succeeds because of no ego.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

Exactly. Linkin Park isn't an 80's metal band. They don't play 30 minute solos. Brad Delson isn't Dimebag Darrel.

Shayan86

Who was talking about solos here? Read my post again. Solos would be unnecessary in albums like HT and Meteora, but even some of those simple riffs Brad played in those albums were not good. You don't need to be Jimi Hendrix to understand some of those riffs were poorly played. Don't wanna be harsh, but that's how some of them sound to me. And when he tried a little bit more in MTM, although the end result was much better than the previous 2 records, it was nothing to be proud of.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010