Rutgers Student Secretly Filmed Having Sex Commits Suicide

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Amanda, Sep 30, 2010.

1. cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

Now THAT is sad. Extremely sad actually, and very maddening.

2. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

It's probably the God Hates Fags assholes. They're happy about this. Worthless pieces of shit.....

3. cstebila

I know Westboro all too well :(

4. Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Actually going to a counter-protest against them in November in NORTH Brunswick which is right new RU.

5. cstebila

I've read numerous articles by them online, watched their videos, their interviews, and protests, and they make me nothing but sad and angry. That's great about the counter-protest btw!

6. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

What I want to know is how people draw the line between hating gay people or African Americans or Latinos, etc. How can you hate some people that are different from you but not everyone? Is it that hard to just view people as people and not categorize them? I feel lucky to view the world as a whole and not in separate pieces.

7. Todd

Sane people know that hating gay people is just as bad as hating African Americans or Latinos. It's the insane ones who think it's OK.

8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Ugh. >.< Frigging Westboro ...

9. Todd

I really think that counter-protesting the Westboro assholes is the wrong thing to do. They thrive on attention, and a huge counter protest across the street gets them the attention and media coverage. I bet if everyone ignored them, didn't cover them in the media, didn't counter protest, and pretended they didn't exist, they would stop doing this shit.

10. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You can't count on irrational people like WBC acting rationally to rational actions. They'd still do it, and sadly there's nothing we can do about it.

11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to say that even though Helions was banned, he was right on the money. Same with Travz21

I don't care who the hell you are and what the hell somebody did to you, but you have to have really shitty self-esteem to go hang yourself or jump off a bridge because you don't listen to the "sticks and stones" saying, or if you think a sex tape is the end of the world for you.

I remember being 17 and really thought of ODing because my dad was a dick and thought I was a complete failure. I was a teenager. At that time it felt like the fucking end. I'm 23, and I see dumb ass shit like this and can't help but be mad because I've been bullied, I've been abused, homeless, had anxiety, depression, and so many problems, and through all of that shit, I'm here. I'm the reason here. And if I would have offed myself it would've been my fault also.

It also makes me shake my head that everything is a hate-crime. If you're white and the victim is black? hate crime. Oh, they're gay? Jewish? Asian? hate crime.

This dude must've totally hated gays while he taped two guys getting it on. Being a dick and being a homophobe is totally different.

12. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Well apparently it wasn't just a dude who taped it, one of the culprits was a woman, which to me was even more surprising as I've found women to be less intolerant then men on a lot of things.

And sure you're strong Rocky, and yes you may be able to handle the abuse...but we don't know how this kid was feeling. We don't know if he had a bad childhood like you did, or even worse...what he went through in school. He may also have been mentally unstable which is why he killed himself so quickly after the fact. Not everyone can handle abuse the same. Some people (like me) are subjected to physical abuse and mental/emotional pain during school and take it just fine...others snap and shoot up an entire school. Not everyone responds to the pain the same way. Am I saying he was right to kill himself, or that the school shooters were justified? No. Suicide/violence is never the right way out of anything. However, people can't criticize or judge the kid just because they wouldn't have handled it the same way. Everyone's different.

13. Minus

You should read the wall of text post I wrote in here. Stop judging.

14. Derek

15. Minus

16. Derek

Read that too. Intolerance is something that bothers me greatly. Despite my ethnicity (I'm white), and the fact I'm straight...it's still something that angers me and bothers me to the core. Maybe I was raised to be fair, but I cannot see why someone's choice of sexuality...or the way they look/dress is fair reason to judge them or put them through such humiliation. It angers me that after all the civil rights battles that have been waged in this country over the past 100 plus years, that racism/homophobia is still present in today's society. You'd think that as a country we'd learn to get past this, given the past. It's just disgusting.

17. Amanda

The service this morning was nice. It poured. The protesters never showed.
    It was huge. All of College Ave was blocked off.

18. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I read your gigantic post about your depression yesterday. It has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. If I'm judging, I'm certainly not judging clinically depressed people. I'm judging your average teenagers. Did you read that thing about the fact that I HAVE BEEN DEPRESSED AND ONCE TRIED TO OVERDOSE WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER?

People don't seem to understand that the people in this case and recent suicide cases are teenagers, and the mindset of teenagers are NOT the same as adults. If Tyler were 23, there'd be a good chance he would be alive. I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure plenty of people can say that when they were 13-20, they were pretty much kids. They thought like a kid. His room-mate thought being so boldly disrespectful was just an awesome prank, while Tyler obviously thought it was the end of the world for him. It's immaturity.

And to Derek... I really wasn't very strong. And I know that not everyone is the same, but even though these things make me sad, I feel sad because these kids didn't see the reason to live. I feel like they should be here, and this would have made them a stronger person. Like, this shit is REALLY disheartening to me.
    As much as I believe that we should teach kids about tolerance and respect more often, I also believe that we should teach kids about confidence and self-esteem as much as we teach kids not to do drugs. I think that would help kids a hell of a lot.

19. Amanda

You cannot POSSIBLY make a claim like that. Depression can strike anyone of any age.

Also, from what I understand from his closer friends his parents were very strictly religious (Roman Catholic) and if they ever found out about his orientation he would have been cut off entirely. Music was his life and if he could no longer afford to study here, that was it for him.

Imagine losing your family and the one thing you cling to in life in the same day?

To him, death was the only way out.

20. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

then let me say that there would be a better chance. Not a "good" chance