No guitars in ATS? Really?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Polychromatic, Sep 30, 2010.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

What bothers me, is many people say there are hardly any guitars in this album. Are these people doing drugs?

Burning In The Skies - you can notice a soft clean electric guitar following the rhythm of the piano. there is a textural guitar solo for the bridge.

When They Come For Me - possible grunge guitars throughout the song? unless that's electronic

Waiting For The End - there is distorted guitars in the intro. there is distorted guitars in the bridge/outro

Blackout - you can hear guitars underneath the remix portion

Wretches and Kings - distorted guitars all over this track.

Iridescent - guitar solo, and they are used in the last chorus

The Catalyst - textural guitars underneath the "god save us" verse/part

The Messenger - acoustic guitar from the start of the song, to the end.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be another rant thread :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm sure there's more guitar in Iridescent just after the first chorus, and at the end of Robot Boy.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Just like keyboards, guitars can make a shitload of sounds that nobody would associate with a guitar. There could be guitar in every track on ATS for all we know. Or it could be some kind of synth that Mike just clicked his mouse to create.

Jeff

This. I remember back when I was in band in Kent Junior High, we were opening a very small concert at the Seattle Center for some guitarist (can't remember the name) and he had pedals for all types of sounds. He even had a trumpet pedal which was awesome.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Haha wow. Trumpet pedal. That's awesome. I went to a bar last week to see a band play, and the guitarist had at least 15 pedals in front of him just for a basic rock band. I'd like to know how much money someone like Trent Reznor puts into his music tech.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Yeah just listen to My Bloody Valentine - pretty much the band who made the guitar not sound like a guitar at all.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

There are guitars in ATS. Their ears trick them. :D

Dean

And there's more in Journado del Muerto and at the end of The Catalyst. So, even without going into stuff that may or may not be guitar there's still plenty where it's probably safe to say it is.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

I don't care whether or not this album has guitars. But honestly, if you decide to use some guitars here and there, at least play some decent riffs and solos, instead of just mixing them for the sake of adding a few more layers to the track. Any bloody idiot can strum a few chords, Brad.

Lol at those who say there are solos in some songs. You want to hear solos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGeDMw2Hi1Y. Those are solos.

I'm not ranting about the album, I think it's great, but to those who are ranting at the-people-ranting-about-the-album, please get your facts straight.

Dean

I know what a good solo sounds like, guy. I agree that they could come up with more interesting parts in the future, but at the same time I think they're pretty good at coming up with guitar parts that sound good in the context of the song and supplement it well. Not every guitarist has to play like that.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Guitars can be used for more than a riff or a solo. Texturing, my friend.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

Right. But when has Brad ever played a solo based on the pentatonic scale or the blues scale or even play a complicated riff? Why is he a guitarist anyway? Rob can do the same thing with the guitar, strum a chord or play a note, add some effects and there we go, it's not rocket science. I consider Brad a terrible guitar player, seriously. Either that, or he just doesn't like playing at all and does something for the sake of just being in the band. Or he just hides his enormous talent and one day will play a solo that will make Hendrix flip in his grave. (not)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Such hate. I'm not going to defend that he's a good guitarist, because he's not. However, LP have never really used guitars the way that traditional bands do. And you don't necessarily have to showboat to be a good guitarist. See: Jason Mraz.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I think that's just a product of how the band makes music. Unlike most bands (I'm in one) they do a lot together. Most bands it's just "you play what you play if we like it good if not re-write it". Most bands are not as democratic.

I agree with the "terrible guitar player" bit on principle because he doesn't like to show off. But the same can be said for the whole band. When has Mike played something amazing on piano? Matt Belamy owns Mike. When has Rob played something truly amazing on drums? Maybe in comparison to his older drum tracks yes, but to other drummers? Hell no. Phoenix plays the simplest bass lines ever. Mr. Hahn as a DJ (compared to other battle DJS) is like a 3 out of 10 honestly. He loves delay and loves to transform scratch.

I think it's just a product of how they make music. It lends itself to great songs, but not complicated song. I play crazy stuff like Tool along with Linkin Park, but a lot more people can get into LP than like Tool.

Exactly. We can see in Meeting of a Thousand Suns he has some skill, I just don't think he believes it serves the song and makes it better. If they were a metal band it would make sense. In the context of Linkin Park it's unneccesary.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
    Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

"Jornada del Mureto" has guitar in its second half & check out the live vid of "Waiting for the end" - mike does some awesome tremolo picking in the verses/chorus of the song - something LP hasn't done in any song so far.

As for the rest, we really need Astat to calrify whats guitar or not on his album.

But anyway, on the subject of Brad, he isn't a BAD a guitarist, but he doesn't exactly show off his skills much in the studio. its like hes holding something back for some reason. the best/complex thing hes done so far probably is the solo in "IN PIECES" its not hendrix or clapton or anything, but the speed in which its played is pretty impressive.

Just watch a few eps of LPTV or making of ATS/MTM and hes playing some really intericate stuff here & there too. Hell, even Phoniex plays a few licks that are just as/if not better than Brad.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

Whoa whoa whoa. Brad isn't a terrible guitarist. He isn't the best but he is pretty decent at what he does.

Shadow Of The Day
    In Pieces
    The Little Things Give You Away

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Disagree. Brad's guitar solos are awful. I like his riffs, they're simple and catchy, but his solos are plain horrible. They're something anyone with a few months of playing guitar can come up with. The speed of the solo in In Pieces isn't impressive at all. And I remember being very dissapointed about how the solo in TLTGYA turned out to be after the hype about it in the interviews prior to the release of MTM.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Speed and difficulty in solos is overrated.

Solos are meant to produce emotion.

Take a look at Steve Vai. Dude doesn't need speed or technicality to produce a sound that moves the soul.

Jeff

I think we all need to remember that Linkin Park is not a traditional band. They aren't known for having complicated riffs/chords, and aren't a jam band by any means. If anything, they do things more on a hip hop level than an actual rock/metal level and that is what Brad and the rest of the band are great at. I personally enjoyed the solo in In Pieces. It's not like this big kick-in-the-face solo like a lot of metal bands, but it keeps me interested throughout the song.