Rutgers Student Secretly Filmed Having Sex Commits Suicide

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Amanda, Sep 30, 2010.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Lol. And the laxative example would be different from this how? Come on. Shatting yourself in the middle of class or possibly having people see you jerk one out or kissing a person of the same sex. I don't see a clear cut option there. A prank is a prank. If you're doing it to your friends you know well, then it's not a prank. This is like the same thing as egging parked hippie vans.

Unless there's a 100% certainty that the people who did this disliked Tyler for being gay and were trying to expose him out of pure hate, then I can't get myself to feel sorry for him. I've had friends do this to me and it's not a huge deal. I mean, unless they weren't actually my friends and they hated me and were trying to get video of me to make fun of me. Then it would be a big deal.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

How could you possibly say that this sort of 'prank' isn't malicious? I don't get that at all. Because if this is the sort of thing you view to be a light-hearted joke, I can't even imagine what you'd consider to actually be malicious.

travz21

If friends put a webcam up knowing you're going to be doing something sexually alone or with someone else, I don't see how that is malicious at all. It all depends on the context of the people involved. And it isn't very defined whatsoever in this article.

Louis

Sex for some people is very personal. I'd say no matter what it's malicious. I don't know of any instance of someone doing something like that and does not having malicious intent.

travz21

You must have some really uptight friends then. This happened like once a week to myself or somebody I knew when I was in college. Among many, many other worse jokes.

Edit: People in our dorms actually found a way to turn around the peephole in the door so people outside could see in. Now that made you stay on your toes.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Louis

If it's enough to make someone kill themselves, I'd say it's not about being uptight. It's about being respectful and cognizant of someone else's feelings and privacy. Doing otherwise and calling it a light-hearted prank is bullshit.

travz21

I can fart in someone's face as a prank and they might kill themselves. The aftermath is besides the point. Yeah, if these people were out to get Tyler and make his life hell, then it's absolutely not a measly prank. But this article doesn't state what the two people were to him besides "classmates". You can be classmates with the love of your life or someone you despise. It's a pretty broad word.

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Whether or not they did this because they hated him for being gay is moot. The real question is would he have killed himself if they hadn't pulled this prank, which is for all intents malicious in the eyes of the law. Most likely not. Their actions directly led to his death, and they should be punished accordingly.

And in response to the post above this one, the male defendant in this case was the victim's room mate.

Louis

It's not about who they were. It's about what they did, man. I'm not sure you get that.

travz21

No. Him jumping led directly to his death. There are many other things he could have done besides kill himself. Them doing this prank did not lead down one singluar path that will always end in suicide. If it did, it would be murder.

No, I understand. All actions are not equal from every person in the world. If your girlfriend does this, you'll just blow it off and not care. If it's a random person, you're going to be creeped at the least. I don't think you get that. It definitely matters who did it.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Man that is terrible. Poor kid. They shouldn't be charged for his suicide though. But still those guys are assholes

travz21

This. It sucks that people get depressed enough to kill themselves. I feel sorry that their lives were that unpleasant that they had to do something so unbelievably dumb. Suicide is just stupid, though. I can't feel too much emotion for people who go that route. The offenders are nothing more than assholes until it's proven that they were intent on hurting this kid in some way.

Ophelia

Elements of Wrongful Death Lawsuit

There are key elements applicable to every wrongful death case. First, a plaintiff must be able to show that an actual death of their loved one occurred. Second, the plaintiff must prove that named defendants were negligent before, during, or after a given event that led to the death of the victim. Third, the negligent actions of the defendant make them liable, responsible, or at-fault, at least partially or in whole, for the death of the victim. Finally, the liable and negligent actions must have directly attributed to the death of the individual, and in turn, the damages sustained by family members and other loved ones.

travz21

Do they treat death the same as suicides? Because that would be semi-ridiculous.

Edit: Extremely ridiculous*

SecondCityKids

I don't think that applies here. His suicide was his choice. As sad and terrible it is. It's his fault he is dead. The law stated above would make sense in a case of a parent starving their kid and that led to them dying. Not this. Being negligent and being an ass aren't the same thing.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Why? It takes a lot of damage to get to the point where you genuinely want to kill yourself and it's generally quite tragic if that happens and they then go through with it. It's not really something to take for granted.

Ophelia

The fact remains that Tyler probably would have had no reason to jump in the first place if not for their actions. I am fairly certain it does apply.

SecondCityKids

Charging them for his death would be like charging the kids who picked on the Columbine shooters for murder. I believe you are only responsible for the acts you commit. They didn't tell him to jump. He jumped. Thats his actions not theirs. What lead him to doing that is a irrelevant(for lack of a better term)

travz21

Because there's always something worth living for. Whether it be your family, friends, a favorite food, even a TV show. I bet there hasn't been one person in the history of suicides that had absolutely nothing they found enjoyment in.

Plus it's such a weak thing to do. Giving up is not something that should be taken for granted? It's only tragic because they make it so.

That's actually a very good example.

Ophelia