The Messenger

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Polychromatic, Sep 25, 2010.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

Why does this song have so much hate? It's easily the highlight of the album for me. I visualize the album cover when I see this. It's like the aftermath of a huge nuclear war. It's the peace and faith after a chaotic struggle over war.*

The message of the song is very beautiful and positive. The simplistic stripped down feel just adds to it. Everywhere I go I see hate on this song. It's amazing. Chester didn't oversing this, he poured his heart out naturally. Smooth singing would've been so fake and less emotional. Not to mention the ending after chorus 2. Simply fantastic.

This song is their best acoustic song to date.*

LPkillz

LPkillz Well-Known Member

I agree... I LOVE this song. It was the perfect way to end the album and him singing out of tune might of symbolized his emotions which was pretty smart and beautiful.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I wouldn't give it 10/10 but I still really like it. My biggest complaint is how short it is. But it's easily one of Chester's greatest performances and it showcases that he's the greatest singer (vocally) of our time. The notes that he can hit is incredible. The message of the song is great as well. He said in an interview that it was directed towards his son who's a Freshman in High School.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

I'm glad you two like it. It's better than Hybrid Theory and Meteora combined in my opinion. Thats alot to say too

Jacob

Jacob Guest

I love this song, when he sings aggressively like that it really adds emotion to it.

It's also really cool how Chester wrote this for his children (after watching an interview with him), mainly his son going into high school, IIRC. I can totally see the how this song relates to how he feels about letting his son into the real world.

This song can apply to a lot more than just people in that situation though, you really just think about how screwed up this world is and how love will always keep us happy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

This song is the most beautiful that Linkin Park has ever put out. I've never had a Linkin Park song move me as much as this one does.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

*cough* Iridescent *cough*. In my opinion :lol:

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

Ever since hearing it was written to his kid's my opinion has changed on the song. In fact, it has become somewhat beautiful to me.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

People who think it's oversung don't really know what oversung sounds like. This song is about as perfect as perfect can get when you look at what it was trying to achieve. It hit the mark on everything. The vocals give me shivers like no other. This man can sing with the best of all time.

NateXY

NateXY I was by your side, powerless.

Agreed, that it is there best acoustic but, how many acoustics do LP have? Can't think of any of the top of my head.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I know of this one, and the first part of The Little Things Give You Away.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I've definitely come to appreciate this song more since I first heard it. :) I didn't really like it at first but I kind of do now. :"

I always thought of "The Messenger" as the album's epilogue ...

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

To be honest I don't know why some hate it. I was just in awed the first time i listened to the album through. It was like a perfect ending to this chaotic story. I felt all the emotions and love that the band (not just chester) tried to put into this song and this "story". I was really just surprised by it and it was an amazing ending. I think some people just really don't like it because its so different from the rest of the album. They're expecting some crazy numb or pushing me away ending but no, its an epically different type of an ending. Guess some people just hate acoustic LP music....makes sense if they're an old LP HT Meteora Fan.....all about Nu Metal :p hahah

Jeff

I actually think it would be awesome if LP put out a double album, kinda like Foo Fighters' In Your Honor, and have one CD with heavier electronic tracks, and the other disc have softer acoustic tracks.

minuteforce

Well, yeah, when I first heard it, I was just taken aback by the singing more than the guitar. I have no problem with acoustic guitar or acoustic piano. :)

I imagine, when most people hear it for the first time, they don't quite know what to make of Chester's vocal performance.

Jeff

Yeah, the hate that this song gets is rather frustrating. It's not as moving as Iridescent though, IMO. But it is definitely a beauty to be withheld.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

well my first listen involved the lyrics greatly since i was indeed thinking of ATS as a story and the lyrics in The Messenger was a great ending. And wow, a double album means a double wait ;).......8 years?

Jeff

not if Linkin Park pull off what they say they are going to pull off and put out music more often.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I had a similar experience the first time. But I still dug it. On the very second listen though I absolutely loved it. Definitely a highlight from ATS.

The emotion in the melody/voice is unlike anything I've heard in a Linkin Park song.

minuteforce

Yeah, I had no problem with the lyrics; again, it was just Chester's vocal performance that, like, put me off a little. :)