Apple or Windows?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by hawk, Sep 11, 2010.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I want to get a new laptop. After having a long chat with one of the store guys at one of my locals shops I am convinced that an Apple Macbook Pro shits all over any Windows laptop.

I'd like some more opinions, and I am asking for any opinion you guys might have.

I don't want to waste my money.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

If you want to pay a lot more money for an equally as good Windows laptop, go with Apple. Unless you want to run Pro Tools or do some other fancy Apple shit, Windows is much better.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Windows 7 works EXTREMELY well.

Then again I think Steve Job's is a POS so I would never own an apple product.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Honestly, both operating systems are extremely stable. You really can't go wrong either way.

It's true that you pay a bit of a premium for Apple computers, but honestly, their build quality is far better than anything out there, especially the unibody Macbooks. That said, they don't shit all over any of the competition. You probably just got an Apple fanboy giving you advice.

It sounds like this would be your first Mac, so just remember that a lot of the programs on Windows have no Mac counterpart -- especially in terms of games (this has got better with Steam's Mac release, though). There are tons of good programs on OS X, so you shouldn't have too many problems. It's not too difficult a transition to make as you'll get the basic functional differences between OS X and Windows, but it will be quite a while before you're as efficient with OS X as you are Windows, most likely.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Windows is really the only way to go for me. Apple computers don't really cut it, since its a good 1000 dollars just for a 13" Macbook, which is ridiculous by any means.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Neither. But If I had to choose Win7 is pretty awesome.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Apple, like I've said in the past to me it's really user unfriendly but great for graphic and video work.
    Windows, I prefer any day.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

There's not really anything you can do on an Apple though that you can't do on a PC, and a lot cheaper I might add and sometimes completely free.

OkamiSensei

OkamiSensei gas.mask.angel

I'm a Mac user, and have been for a while, so I would recommend an Apple computer.
    But, they are expensive, and Windows 7 isn't too bad (I prefer XP) so I guess you should figure out how much money you're willing to spend.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Both are fantastic, in my opinion. Windows tends to be more affordable, but just a bit less safe. You'll have to be very mindful of what sites you visit and what you download. Apart from that, Windows can be very stable.

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

Do you plan to do graphic arts on your computer? or work on videos? If you do, Apple is the best.
    If you want to do programming and such, Windows should be your choice.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

As a programmer, and as someone who has both a Mac and PC with Windows 7, I have to disagree. Neither one offers any advantages over the other. If anything, I'd give the advantage to Apple as Xcode is free while Visual Studio not. Or if you're using Java, there's Eclipse which runs equally as well on both of them.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Bought a 13 inch macbook pro about 2 months ago. Let me tell you...it's worth it. Yes, it's a 1000 dollars, but it's expensive for a reason. The speed is incomparable to any other computer that I've worked with. There are no viruses as well. Perhaps there's some great PC I don't know about. When in doubt, get a mac.

travz21

Or just buy a really good $500 desktop with Windows 7. Way more speed and storage than a laptop. And half the price. The novelty of being able to take your computer wherever you want wears off after like a week.

hawk

I have the money to buy either a Windows laptop and Macbook Pro 13" so it doesn't matter about the price.
    It will mostly be used just for web browsing, homework and music playing - but I sometimes will do some music editing and creating (GarageBand, hell yeah) and video editing.

travz21

I know it's not about the price. But it is about getting your money's worth, right? If a laptop isn't necessary, you can use $1,000 to buy an extremely better desktop. Laptops kind of suck, actually.

hawk

Apparently the Macbook Pro will last longer than a Windows laptop.
    The casing that a Macbook Pro is aluminium so if it gets dropped and it doesn't crack the screen it will still look good. And it will disconnect the HDD and the system will freeze to protect it.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

If price doesn't matter than this isn't even a debate. Macbook Pro all the way.

hawk

Alright, sweet. Might go down later today.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Hate to burst your bubble, but the aluminum is just as prone to denting, if not moreso, as plastic laptops. And if you drop it hard enough, no HDD protection will save your laptop from being completely destroyed. MacBooks are just as fragile as any other laptop on the market and should be handled with great care. It's not that difficult to maintain them, I've owned laptops for the past 10 years and traveled all over with them and not once did I ever drop it or damage it.

And buy AppleCare. It's paid for itself on the 2 Apple laptops I've owned. Out of warranty laptop repairs are not cheap.