MTV Article On Fan Reactions

Discussion in 'News' started by Agent, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

With the release of the "The Catalyst" video, MTV.com has decided to put the spotlight on the much debated topic of Linkin Park's change in sound and image. Taking feedbacks from fans, this new article focuses on their reaction to the band's departure from their nu-metal roots and also the new video.

Read an excerpt from the article below or click here to read the full article.

"With its ominous tone and murky visuals, Linkin Park's new video for "The Catalyst" is a far cry from the band's previous, hyperkinetic clips. And, as bassist Dave "Phoenix" Farrell told MTV News earlier this month, that was sort of the point.

"The Catalyst" was meant to shake things up and give fans fair warning that LP's upcoming A Thousand Suns album is going to be a rather dramatic departure from anything they've done in the past.

Of course, to most, that's not exactly breaking news. After all, Linkin Park have basically spent the better part of a year touting the "grandiose insanity" of Suns, the album on which they "challenged" themselves to move beyond their nü-metal roots and forge new territory.
    "

Source: MTV.com via zaneroks94

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Reading that article makes my head hurt and reminds me of just how moronic some people can be.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

This. Except it also makes me laugh a little.

big_bad_lukas

big_bad_lukas Well-Known Member

i am ready for the big change. bring ATS on. 16 days

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

So here's what I don't get. Why is every media outlet making it sound like Linkin Park have been nu-metal until today? I mean, have they forgotten about Minutes to Midnight then?

erasus

erasus Well-Known Member

This article is pointless

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

I think the people talking about how they aren't going to buy ATS will eat their words on the 14th.

Kaleda519

Kaleda519 Well-Known Member

'I know for a fact I'll be disappointed [with A Thousand Suns]'...erm yeh ok then! :rolleyes:

...and don't even get me started on the stupid comment posted after the article that says they are trying too hard to fit into the mainstream! laughable! They are not sellouts, they are not try hards. They are a band who wants to evolve and change, try something different instead of bringing out the same old sound over and over. I mean, if they did bring out another album like Hybrid Theory I would still love it of course but I like the direction they are going in. I like the sound of the risks they are taking and the challenges with the music, instruments and lyrics. The Catalyst is a fantastic single, although I do get that it will divide opinions. However, to totally give up on A Thousand Suns because you don't like the single? wrong in my opinion. Give the album a chance and if you don't like it then ok. Don't bash them for trying something new, something they are clearly passionate about. People cannot let go of the past, times change and the band wants to change. They are not the first band to change their sound and they certainly won't be the last. I loved the 'nu-metal' era but that was a long time ago, music changes and some people need to realise that.

ek583

ek583 Member

Just reading through some of those "fan" comments, dare I say that the people already dissing the band's new sound/album were never genuine LP fans to start with! With Hybrid Theory and Meteora, LP picked up a lot of heavy/death metal fans who were impressed with the new rap/rock hybrid elements in their sound. But what they probably failed to realise, is that LP has never liked to classify themselves into one particular genre. They were never a heavy metal band, or a rock band, or an alternative band... they are just Linkin Park. And they've always been about evolution, trying out new things, pushing the boundaries.

And I am really glad that LP are evolving with time, getting more mature. They're not just about heavy guitar riffs and screaming vocals. I love Hybrid Theory and Meteora, just as I love Minutes to Midnight and can't wait for A Thousand Suns. I think it's really commendable, and makes me even more proud to call them my favourite band, that they are trying such a gutsy move. Bring on September 14th!

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I understand the people that don't like M2M/TC. They like Nu Metal (or whatever you want to call HT/Meteora). Fair enough. I'm just tired of the troll like behavior of people trying to say M2M/TC sucks like it's a fact. The only true dumb comments on that article are the ones that say they don't like A Thousand Suns based off The Catalyst.

For all you trolls reading this, if you don't like LP's new direction, leave these boards and all other LP related forums. Simple enough.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

MTV made an article out of that? :huh:

It's essentially a visit to the LPMB. And what a hole that place turned into.:sick:

Seriously.
    And the sell out comments are ridiculous too. If LP really just wanted the money then spending 2 years experimenting with sounds, then releasing a near 6min song with no pop "ababcb" structure as the lead single from an album designed to be listened to as a whole and not in bits was the wrong way to go about it.

All they'd have to do is throw together a dozen 3mins formulaic songs with the cliche "I'm so numb from all your lies that I can't face my cornflakes!" lyrics. They could probably knock out one of those albums every few months without even breaking a sweat.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Some people are just stupid. 'Nuff said.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Last time I checked, MTV lost it's qualification to to write any sort of reviews on music back in the late 80s/early 90s. There's nothing music about that networks. Having an award show once a year doesn't cut it either.

Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

It's funny how much people care about the collective and what everyone else thinks when it comes to taste (in music). I don't give a shit. Either I like it or I don't.

rusa162

rusa162 Well-Known Member

its good to be back ( i know its random note but still):D

the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

It almost feels like these trolls are just greedy. They don't care about what the band says, or what the band wants, they just care about what they (the trolls) want.

I especially hate this "bring back nu-metal" bullshit. Check out the Wiki on the subject, and dive a little deeper with more reputable sources, and you'll find that a whole shit load of bands were labeled nu-metal, and the majority of them simply don't fit the description.

Ugh...I'm thinking about boycotting forums and articles on ATS until after it's released. All this childish behavior is starting to grate on me.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

This article made me laugh.

It also gave me some hope, as I was pretty sure regular mainstream opinion was in the negative. Nice to see some positive opinions up there. They also seem much more well-spoken than the detractors.

Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

The article was exactly what I was debating earlier, but hey that's the "entity" I was referring to people were going to be pisst off and by the masses. But from what I am reading in the interviews and where things are heading, I think people are over reacting. I think Linkin Park is pretty much there and that the catalyst was a bad "single" from a commercial stand point to it's prior fans, but a good single for fans that have been following linkin park around since HT and can see exactly what they mean that they got away from their comfort zone. The proof is in the track, but headphones are required ^_^.

the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

I don't think it's right to say that people aren't "true" fans if they don't like this album.

It seems that the supporters are simply more understanding of what Linkin Park wants.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Going back to why I hate Linkin Park fans. They are jackasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.