The Catalyst Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's funny because you think flying ninjas are abnormal.

All of usthem can fly.

3. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Directing a video and making a song are two completely different things :p But I see what you mean and I'll reply by saying: a director with more creative ideas.

4. TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

No, nothing really new, just the usual stuff. Mike is explaining that the album is a journey and Phoenix says what great fans LP has...

5. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I've gotten the impression that you people are insane. This is better than all of MTM's videos. Not that I can't really hate many of LP videos (besides New Divide), because I've seen so many trashy pop and pop-punk videos. I don't really see what's there to hate. The smoke adds mystery and atmosphere. It also slowly reveals the details of the story. Keep in mind that in less than 5 minutes, you can't tell a story like you would in a movie. And since this is music, you would watch it more than once like a song, rather than getting everything at once in a movie. The more times this is watched the, more things come out of it, much like Breaking the Habit's video, and the more interesting it becomes. And you guys are all talking about those things like they're a bad thing.

I don't think this was filmed at normal speed. Also, I've tried it and my tongue does show; I'm from California so it might be a regional accent thing.
    Why does it bug people anyway?

6. Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

Cue in Teeny-bop fans that are fascinated with Mike's tongue.

7. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Haha, I know, why so much attention on that? I really don't get the fascination.

8. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I'm not particularly losing sleep over this, but it bothered me to an extent because the scene stuck out (no pun) and took me out of the video.

9. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I completely agree.

LOATR: It was ok. The band is going to die and they're saying "When I die leave out all the rest...". A 2nd grader could get that concept.

WID: Another average video. Better than LOATR though. It shows clips of the state of the world/bad things being done. Again, not all that complex. After watching it 5 times, it get's old

Bleed it Out: Whooooopie everyone is going backwards. BUT OMG LP ISNT HOW DID THEY DO THAT!?!?!?!?!

GU: I've watched this 1-2 times. Let's just show the band perform the song. WTF?

SOTD: Easily the best M2M video. No complaints.

New Divide: Just adds cute affects. Nothing special.

The Catalyst: Symbolism all over the place. You notice something new every time you watch it. It makes you think. The mood fits perfectly with the song. Has a longer lifespan before getting old.

I just don't see how you could say any of the M2M videos come close to The Catalyst video. Don't get me wrong, it's ok for the band to release music video's that are easy to understand. But I believe we're all smart enough to interprut more complex videos such as TC.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  10. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

For lulz, I could always just post that thing I pointed out in the shoutbox about Chaos. :lol:

11. CurlyLp

CurlyLp Member

I think exactly the same. Just one thing: i like WID i don't think it gets old, but anyway. :)

12. LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Nice video! I like it. But there are a couple things that would've made it cooler...

1. Little less smoke = Most of the video has to much smoke. Kinda overused.
    2. More of Brad = It would be cool to see him just a little more.
    3. More powdered paint throwing = You know, I little scene were the band are throwing that stuff at each other.
    4. More devastation = Like, more falling buildings and more destruction.
    5. Something powerful = I think that would be awesome if there was just one really powerful thing that would put us in awe.

That's just my opinion...Nothing special.

13. Benjamin

I agree with most of this. I think it's an amazing video, but it would be award winning if a few things would have been added.

With the smoke thing, I liked how (I think it was Captain Troy Handsome?) put it. Saying there's too much smoke is like saying there's too many trees in Tarzan. I also don't really care about each band members face time. But with 3-5, I completely agree.

14. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Something that I've realized with this video is how personally I feel completely different watching this video. Past LP videos and The Catalyst are all great videos no doubt. But mood and feeling a person gets when watching them are completely different. With the past videos they were just another music video with a cool effect or possibly some type of a story...ehh sorta. But watching the catalyst video, I actually feel like things are different. As if it's a whole different standard and level of a video. I feel the emotions that the band tried to create and capture in the video....I understand the story, the metaphors, the strength of the lyrics. It just isn't the standard music video you see on mtv, it's more like a movie, a story.

15. Kaleda519

Kaleda519 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a fantastic video, it gripped me from start to finish (and back again!). I loved all the visual elements. Mike in the car, Chester in the water, Joe and his turntables, Phoenix and Brad (a little but cool). Rob looked totally cool behind his drum kit! The smoke and the slow mo helped the video in my opinion, they added something extra. So yeh, I loved it! :)

16. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

I hope they release some kind of director's cut version with the full song and not the radio edit.

17. Benjamin

They definitely should be able to. In the making of video there was some footage we didn't see in the final thing. I want to actually see the band members throw powder at one another lol.

And I agree Zane. It's definitely more of a movie than a music video. I don't care how much the other vids have a place in my heart. TC is flat out the best video they've released. Period. Please don't say Leave Out All the Rest is better lol.

18. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

sorry ben, as much as i love the catalyst....i actually do think leave out all the rest is better. It's just soo cool looking!
    Ironic eh? Just Kiddin' :p haha

19. Benjamin

I thought you were being serious for a second there....you had me.

20. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hopefully the rest of the videos during the ATS run will continue the proposed story initiated by 'The Catalyst'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.