The Catalyst Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyingfromyou03

lyingfromyou03 The Little Things Give You Away

I've watched it several times now, and because my computer at work is working much better than my one at home, I could see all the details I missed before. I really like the video, it's very dark, but it's what I expected after reading Joe Hahn's comments. My only gripe was that I wish it had been the full version, although I'm hoping for a director's cut/alternate version on Itunes. I'm probably the minority on this, but what I liked most about the video were the close shots of the band. I love those small details of facial expressions, that's what connected me most with the video. The scene with Mike screaming in the middle/end and even though his tongue was a bit over-extended, the scene of him in profile in the car. The pain on Chester's face in the water, and most of all the quick shots of Chester and Joe throwing the sand at each other and the close ups of the guys covered in the sand (and the hands holding it). "From the Inside" is still my favorite, but for the same reasons, the emotion I felt from each member and this video now comes in second.

2. ...

... Well-Known Member

I'll give you the water part, that's probably the only part of the vid I like. ;)

I still think the smoke is overused - would've been nice to see some real fire in there somewhere.

Edit: I guess after seeing the Making Of clips I keep thinking of the smoke machine in the b/g. lol

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I kinda dont like the way Joe edits(or whoever does). In there music videos it seems to me like they try to throw in as many clips as they possible can and wont let things settle. I feel like they switch clips in the middle of things and ever switch when its not on beat with the music. I find it very annoying

4. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

By riot I mainly meant chaos and disorder. Those scenes didn't feel real.... just a whole bunch of people moving in slow-mo. And that to me is uninspired. The scenes with Chester in the water and Mike in the car could've also been shot more interestingly.

I watched the video a couple of more times and I think the main problem with it is the smoke/green filter. Just a mere change in color scheme could've elevated the emotion by a lot and that kind of shone through towards the end.

5. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I really don't like those strange shots with Chester's mouth wide open in the water. The video is too smokey and it's hard to see what is going on. Apart from that, I like it. The ending with the coloured powder, slow motion effects go well with the song. Also, Mike looks awesome with the hood.

For non-LP fans or fans who may not follow the band like some of us do, this video will most likely confuse them and maybe even bore them as it is quite monotonous in the beginning.

I would give this video 6/10, it will probably grow on me.

6. hybrid.theory7

hybrid.theory7 Well-Known Member

one of LP's best videos ,i kinda reminds me of One Step Closer,maybe because of the green coloured theme of both the videos,
    NICE JOB JOE HAHN ,NICE JOB LP........

7. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

In that case yeah, I agree with you on the "rioting".

The contrast between the dull and dark parts and the colour that starts to appear more and more seems to be the point though, unless you just mean that they should have used different dull colours. I see why but I don't really mind that part of it that much personally. I think the colours they have used go pretty well with the ravaged city idea, but maybe they could have tweaked them slightly.

8. Xodus112

Xodus112 Well-Known Member

I like the video...I'm not big on videos but this is very good.

9. ...

... Well-Known Member

Love how Mike and Chester are setting the right mood being gloomy and then all of a sudden you see Brad banging his head, seemingly enjoying 'the end of the world'. lol

10. Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I really likes the video. I guess the only thing I dislike is knowing the song is longer then what is used in the video. Leaves you with that feeling that something is missing.

Other then that great video. Album is getting closer. Soon it'll be time to think outside the box and just listen to some music.

11. Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

the radio edit aside, this video is fucking. epic. wow. best video yet, the artistic look and feel is really, really catching. ;)

12. ricky34024

ricky34024 Well-Known Member

this reminds me of the One Step Closer music video

13. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Good video.

Cool use of the elephant.

14. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Just a reminder, the LPA has taken screenshots (thanks Keaton!) and you can now view them in the front page :). Have fun making Catalyst sigs!

15. wolflink

wolflink I feel very privileged in debt for my thirst

I know the full version is long for a video but i dont like the radio edit it misses escential things from the song.
    The art direction is good i like the way they represent the atomic explosion wave with powder representing the fire and the particules wich desprend from everything that is close to the explosion. The plot is confusing you need to see it several times to catch it. Overall i relly dont like so much the video and in generall LP videos has coming to less since Breaking the habit.
    i really really wanted to see a video morelike the preview of the catalyst video insted, full of Special effects i mean more ad hoc with the new music. 6/10 to the video. i rated the catalyst with an 8/10.
    BTW my favorite LP video is breaking the habit.

16. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

:shudder: The elephant is a lie.

17. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

OH this is More than Amazing. Post apocalyptical sights (love the landscape and the falling building), the gas-masks there is one that has a turning-around system in front of the mouth it looks brilliant and the whole atmosphere is scary.
    Best LP video.
    Great way to start A Thousand Suns. Great Joe!
    It was obvious it is radio edit so im not disappointed and still this is better than the Medal of Honor version. MOH felt cut in the wrong points to shorten the song, while this is perfect.
    Next step: best LP album.

18. Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Awesome, Keaton FTW!

Wish I could make sigs again. I had Photoshop long ago but meh...

19. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I just made myself one =]

20. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

That's Mike's reaction if someone says that Linkin Park are still Nu-Metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.