The Catalyst Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erasus

erasus Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed it's the radio edit. The video is nothing special ...but then again its a rock song video ...they are always weird :D

2. Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

The vid is........so so....
    But it is really dark if compare with New Divide or any other LP vids =))

3. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Can't say I'm feeling the video.

It's way too smoky, the green filter on the screen lingers around for too long and gets boring.

The riot scenes look bland and don't really expresses the rage in the song... they've done riots better in From The Inside.

Didn't really expect the CGI-buildings to look that cheap. That was a shocker. Also, I feel the video is poorly edited.

I did like the little colorful glitches around the halfway mark.. wish they had more of that. The ending looked kinda cool as well.

4. Bruno

Bruno Each word gets lost in the echo...

THIS !

5. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

That was fucking awesome. Made the song at least 4 times more powerful.
    Mike raising a single finger to show the devastation simply pressing a button can bring... Shit yeah, that was awesome.

6. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Same as with Leave Out All the Rest, I think the video is fockin' cool but I'm still not a fan of the song itself.

7. Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

The video was too dark, and gloomy. Completely matches the whole theme of the song (lyrically) and the album. Mike is amazing throughout, I think he is representing death. Chester singing in the water was a great idea as well, and the anarchy in the middle of the video with people running from destruction was the best part for me. All in all, a beautiful video. Much better than all their MTM videos.

8. Murali

Murali LP Soldier

Its awesome......hope they release any director's cut...:D that would be really cool....

9. Schen The Genius

Schen The Genius Former LPU Mod LPA VIP

I wasn't really impressed with the video, nice visuals but it's not what I fully expected. Then again I'm not a fan of videos, I'M A FAN OF TEH MUSIC!

--RS

10. Martinez

Martinez Active Member

I loved it. one of their best for sure.

11. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Since nobody has answered, I will.

It's the radio edit of the song.

First, the intro is cut. It goes from the beginning synth to the vocals. It's missing the intro of the beginning drums and Joe's initial scratching. Then, as you figured, they cut the beginning 'lift me up/let me go' portion in half.

12. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

13. Izzno

Izzno Member

Would've been crazy if you could kinda see someone else in the smoke, just quick glimpse. Maybe he could like ''kidnap'' the guys, you juste see him behind Chester, put his hand on his mouth and taking him to the back in the smoke.

Just an idea I got.

14. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be an angry violent riot, or even a riot at all haha. There are people running around amongst the dust, and I think at one point a couple of them get attacked by the gasmask person. I think that goes with the lyrics pretty well. The way it's filtered as well, the lyrics seem to be somewhat about a dull oppressed society, so most of the colours are kind of grimy and dull looking, with the occasional flashes of brighter colours.

I agree with you about how the buildings seem to look, fortunately they don't linger on screen for too long. Maybe they just thought that if there's only going to be one or two relatively short shots of them they might as well not spend too much of the budget on them. I think most of it ebbs and flows pretty well with the song though.

One thing I might add is that they could probably have cut some of the later shots of Mike inside the van/bus/whatever it is, then again that comes under the way its edited I guess.

That said, I liked most of it and I think I'm starting to like the song itself more now.

I just realised there isn't an elephant in it after all. Forget everything I said, I HATE THIS BAND

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  15. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Ah, I wanted to see Shinoda killing off the people wearing gas masks. ;P

16. ...

... Well-Known Member

I thought with this song being open to interpretation and the band having a new music direction they'd try some new visual weirdness, but as it turns out, there's nothing new and exciting about this vid. Pretty much overusing slow-mo effect, smoke and the story is clearly about the end of the world. They need some of the weirdness back that they had in some of their old old videos.

17. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Wow i love it to pieces... but one big bummer for me... Over use of chester under water with his mouth... it was just pointless in some point! really annoying

18. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

My favorite Linkin Park video every. So nice to see them getting away from flying cgi-animals and Transformers and just getting down to dark, gritty, and artistic effects. I loved the scenes with Chester in the water. Had a suspended animation kinda feel to it. Mike's scenes were dark, disturbing, and amazing. Brought a whole new level of emotion to an LP music video, in my opinion.

19. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

They need to make a video that can only be shown after dark or something. ;P That should be their next step in trying to get away from what they've done in the past.

20. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

This is probably as open to interpretation as most of their videos - pretty much all of them have a clear message. There's still bits of weirdness in there as well - Chester being partly submerged in water, the glitchy parts, the ghostly riot officer or whatever it's supposed to be. I think I'll give you the overuse of slow-motion, but the dust and smoke... I think that's kind of like saying trees are overused in Tarzan. :p It pertains to the setting of the video.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.