A Day to Remember

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Hellions, Aug 18, 2010.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

Is anybody else a fan? They hooked me immediately with their mix of styles. A pop punk band with screaming and breakdowns, fucking beautiful. I was never really into the style of screaming before this band but they sort of served as a gateway. Jeremy's vocals are powerful and compliment the aggression of the music perfectly.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

One of my favorite bands.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

good band

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

If I was 16 right now, I'd probably gobble up this shit. Also, what percentage of their fanbase wears skinny jeans? Is it 80%?

The lyrics are recycled, just the same garbage that we've heard from bands like this for the last couple of years. It's "screaming" (yelling as loud as you can without trying to swallow saliva for 5 minutes, for that nice gurgling effect), with the "melodies" coming in for the verses, if you can call it melodies. It's just dude talking, kinda like these white guys in punk bands that want to be ironic and be rappers. Y'know?

I'll give it to 'em, though. Their most well known song has some thumpin' bass. But, that just proves my previous point: these dudes loved them some Vanilla Ice.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

Post by somebody who probably hasn't heard more than two tracks by the band, but heard a band that looks or sounds vaguely like them so assumes they totally can form an opinion. Thoroughly disregarded. Also nice pretentious show list in your sig there. I have a friend who likes Wavves. How much of their fanbase wears v-necks and douchebag beard fuzz? Is it 99%? Also how many vinyl records do you own? Being a pretentious douche means the amount of vinyl needs to be inversely proportional to the amount of actual vinyl turntables you own. It's more about quantity and feeling superior than actually being able to use them, of course.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Okay whoa, this entire thread got way out of hand.

Casey, you're warned for disrespecting other people's musical tastes (you did it once in the shoutbox, and also in here) and Hellions, you're warned for basically attacking Casey and calling him a douche. I suggest you two stop replying to eachother. Right now you just have a warning, but the next warning will be an actual point.

ChuckCheese

Hey guys, relax! Listen to this instead!
    [video=youtube;T98zYbnYf08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T98zYbnYf08[/video]

Saoberlinwaves

Saoberlinwaves Banned

Pre-Homesick ADTR was so much better... Homesick had a few good tracks, but was too generic... Their older stuff, especially And Their Name Was Treason, is fantastic

Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

While they are nothing breakthrough or original their songs have a catchy feel-good vibe to them, its hard to hate them

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I am working with Jacob and Adam [Hellions] on a "Linkin Park Live + Linkin Park Association" site for A Day To Remember.
    It should be up in the next two or three days.

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Very solid band in my opinion. I didn't really like them until I saw them at Soundwave earlier this year, and wow, they get the crowd going.

Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

Its funny how seeing a band live can totally change your opinion of them!

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Exactly right. At first I didn't really like the way Jeremy went from screaming vocals, and then went to a more pop oriented sound.
    But now I love it.

Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

Unfortunatley I missed soundwave this year as I was in the USA

I am guilty of judging a book by its cover in this case, I saw a picture of them, and never bothered to listen to them
    Pop can be fun, just got to be open minded about it all!

Saoberlinwaves

Saoberlinwaves Banned

Their best songs (in no particular order):

Casablanca Sucked Anyways
    You Should Have Killed Me When You Had The Chance (old version)
    You Had Me At Hello
    Your Way With Words Is Through Silence
    Monument
    The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle
    I Heard It's The Softest Thing Ever
    Speak Of The Devil
    Over My Head
    Have Faith In Me
    Another Song About The Weekend
    Right Where You Want Me To Be

ChuckCheese

No I'm Made of Wax, Larry? Shame on you.

These guys stole the show at Warped last year. Awesome performance.

Xpeerahmental

Xpeerahmental Well-Known Member

I just found these guys just looking for random shit, I really like some of their songs myself but I also agree that they are recycled.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

This has got to be on your list! It's one of their best songs!

Hellions

Hellions Banned

I like Homesick because to me it's got a lot more power to it. The first two albums have their heavy sound but are overall just kind of thin to me. Everything in Homesick just creates one big sound that really gives it driving aggression even in the softer songs. I also love the confrontational, motivating lyrics in songs like Welcome to the Family, Mr. Highways Thinking About The End, and You Already Know What You Are. The concept is obviously nothing new to ADTR but I think they're a lot more effective with the way everythings tightened up in a big, heavy mix. My only gripe is that some of the breakdowns end too soon.

As for sounding "recycled", that may be the case now but around when they started, mixing the hardcore with pop punk was a new thing. It may be worn out by now but I think shifting the style a bit in Homesick was an attempt to keep it fresh. I'm interested to see where they take album #4.

Saoberlinwaves

Saoberlinwaves Banned

I LOVED Homesick for like 4-5 months after it came out, and I still love a few tracks off of it, but it's just generic compared to their earlier stuff and lacks the pure emotion of their previous works... oh and I forgot to add NJ Legion Iced Tea to the list of their best songs