The Debate About "Metal Gods"

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Cyanide, Jul 30, 2010.

Tomozaurus

Tomozaurus Well-Known Member

I most certainly do. And it's not entierly inappropriate, I'd call them metal gods. They were a big part of pioneering melodic death metal, along with The Haunted and In Flames.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Dude! Agalloch are the shit. Loved them so much a couple years back. Kind of grew out of Opeth to be honest, got really bored of them.

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Maiden, Metallica, Motörhead and AC/DC are definitely my fav bands out of all the classic ones, although I know that the last two are Rock'n Roll and not metal.

think i'm a fire engine

think i'm a fire engine Well-Known Member

As much as I like even the Metallica albums that most people don't, I'm so tired of hearing about them.

Doom metal is awesome, though, both the doomy stuff with clean singing and the doom/death variety. Some of my favorites are Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Katatonia, Swallow the Sun.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

Although Dark Tranquility are far from being real pioneers of death metal, they have the potential of getting bigger in the future. They have only been around since the 90s, let's give them more time. LOL at Bullet for My Valentine (seriously...3 albums?)

No offense, but when I read incredibly retarded sentences like "Metallica are sell-outs", I can already see a random St Anger-disser touching the buttons on the keyboard while using about 2% of his brain. Seriously, do yourself a favor, go to the store and break every St Anger, Load, ReLoad CD whichever you hate, take a deep breath and move on with your life. Because the way I see it, whenever people hear the name Metallica, they think about the ultimate virus/parasite/bacteria called St Anger. It's one album, and they never played a song from that record since 2004. What makes you think it's a sell-out album? Because it's sold in the stores? WOW. Really? I swear it's the first audio CD I've ever seen in the stores so far, it's going to start a huge revolution and transform music into a business world. Applauses that you realized that before anyone else. Seriously, get over the whole sell-out thing, and I'm not referring only to Metallica right now. Every band SELLS-out because they SELL albums. Shocking, isn't it? Sorry to crush your butterflies and burn down your rainbow.

I really don't mean any offense and I certainly didn't wish to insult anyone, but calling Metallica sell-outs is like calling Iron Maiden a hip hop duo. It's a paradox.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    Tomozaurus

Tomozaurus Well-Known Member

On Dark Tranquility, they did in fact help to pioneer melodic death metal, which has only been around since the 90's.

On Metallica, great post, I agree with everything said.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

This.

Also, someone mentioned Agalloch. They're great. The Mantle is an incredible record.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

*Puts dark Tranquility & Agalloch on The List*
    Any recommedations for where to start with those 2 bands?

Also, I facepalm anytime someone says Metallica sold out. A select few people have been claiming they sold out since '84 when they put a ballad on Ride The Lightning. Ridiculous stuff.