Medal of Honor/The Catalyst Trailer Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Kæton, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

This is a valid point. There's something about the composition of this that tells me there's something missing, it's not much more than the summation of the clips and bits that have been out for a while now. There is 2 minutes of this song missing and for the people who think that something missing 2/5ths of itself can't be changed by adding that 2/5 back I highly suggest cutting off both of your legs, trying to read just 3/5ths of a good poem, or some other equally stupid idea so that you can see the fallacy in your assertion.

That said, the first part feels cohesive to me how it was done, but it seems obvious to me this version was mixed. I found myself surprised at how quickly it got started.

2. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Er. I'm kind of at a barrier here. I liked all the clips up until this point. Different, yes. Great? Not so much. I mean it's not a bad song at all but it's exactly the kind of the thing Mike was talking about. He said that they didn't want to make "Fast Food Music" yet that's exactly what this is. The song just seems bland until the breakdown and when Mike comes in with the "Lift me up, let me go" part. All other aspects of the song are way too repetitive and dare I say, annoying.

Yes, I'm 100% confident that this is not the full track. First off, there was no scratching and we know that the fact is there will be via clips we have already heard.

Secondly the Chorus is shortened

Thirdly the "Lift me up, let me go" part is also shortened as in one of the clips we have, Mike is singing with absolutely no backing vocals and in this song there is a backing vocal as far as I can tell.

Fourthly , Brads guitar seems a bit more prominent in earlier clips that we have heard.

Fifth , it's quite obvious that the tempo has been increased slightly in this version

Sixth, an Official Warner Bro site lists the song as lasting 5:42 whilist this song is only a bit longer than 3 minutes.

-----------
    All that aside I'm optimistic that I will enjoy the full track when isn't not edited as much.

So far though I'll give this song a 5 out of 10.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Maybe if I listen to it a trillion times I might change my mind - I doubt it though.

-----------
    On another note, people stop calling this Techno. It's not. How you could remotely even state it is, I'll never know.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  3. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I disagree with anyone who says "I told you so" when they were complaining about 30 second clips.

But this incarnation of the song just seems, as Cookie Monster said, disconnected and repetitive. Maybe it's because I heard so many remixes of the stems and clips of the song.

Loving the synth solo though.

I'm interested in hearing the non-edited version though. Perhaps it flows better.

Edit: Good work, Jesse! Makes me more optimistic.

4. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

I've watched the trailer three times now as well. I went through iTunes and opened up Hybrid Theory and took myself back to old times. I'm 24 now with two kids. I still enjoy Hybrid Theory, but you know what what, I don't want another Hybrid Theory. I am over Nu-Metal. I'm done trying to capture that old Linkin Park. When we first got snippets and clips of The Catalyst I was sitting in the living room with my wife and I told her it was the first time I was disappointed with Linkin Park as a fan. I consider myself a pretty strong fan, I even have some of Mike's (Fort Minor) artwork tattooed on me. So, for me to take such a strong opinion meant something. Then, when Mike sent the "lift me up, let me go" piano clip over twitter, I decided to give this thing another chance.

So, Linkin Park. Bravo. Obviously this may be a chopped up edit for a commercial trailer, but it is in one word... EPIC. You have made something that at first I thought I hated and almost made me refuse to pre-order the album. Then by releasing a few more stems and clips, I pre-ordered immediately. I am glad that the band went the path of continued growth because I have also grown. I am no longer an angsty, dare I say emotional teenager. This doesn't mean from time to time I wouldn't mind hearing the occasional sell out song (WID/New Divide) or collaboration (Reanimation) on a Transformers 3 soundtrack or maybe a Jay Z remix. Hell, let's bring on another Fort Minor album as well, but for now. I think from what I've heard in this trailer you guy accomplished your goal with The Catalyst. You experimented with your growth as a band and friends and came together to create something truly strong a new. Like they said in the interview, some die-hard old LP fans may now like it, and they are fine with it. As for me, I'm all in. Bring on the new album.

Random side note: Sorry for the random writing "to the band" I know that some people may browse the LPA site so I took the time to address them directly.

5. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

The beat is a little bit too dancey for my tastes, but I like it overall (this is my impression after one listen, mind you).

Hope the rest of the album doesn't blow!

6. lpfaneki

lpfaneki i don't know what's worth fighting for

i am WITH YOU

+ also the SONG PREMIERS TOMOROW ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Vic

Vic No game no life

This is awesome.. Seriously, the people that said this was crap... Can go to other place and complain, and this isn't even the full song. LP I love you.

8. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I'm confident that the entire track is indeed 5:42 and what we're hearing is essentially Hahn remixing the song for the trailer.
    Why? Because the interlude that follows SOTD (4:49) on the album is not included on the single (4:16). It'll be the same with The Catalyst. Since the single is listed as 5:42, that's how long the actual song will be.

As it is the lyrics aren't making a whole lot of sense, they're pretty disjointed, so there's quite a bit needed to tie it together to be coherent. That said I do quite like what we're hearing.

There is no rapping in The Catalyst, Mike said so.

9. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I wish they would drop Rick Rubin so bad and not even have a producer besides mike or go back to Don. I don't want them to go back to Nu-Metal, just to have the energy they use to have. Every interview Mike says how with Rubin they dont put a date on there album so they dont feel pressured and how the album is now painless to make and laid back. I believe that is there biggest problem. When they did HT and Meteora they said it was like pulling there teeth out and it was so stressful, but i believe thats how they got there energy into there songs because they put everything they had into there music. Hell I think MTM is a fantastic album because they still have some of that energy(some songs i felt were just fillers).

I am a giant LP fan and have defended Linkin Park in so many arguments but after this song Im iffy. I love the way they have changed and re-event themselves with every release. HT & Met I see as 2 complete different albums. But this single is just the chorus being repeated. I love LP because of there strong influential lyrics they put on people but thats I feel is gone in this song. Im not saying I hate the song either but it kinda sounds like any other artist repeats the chorus over and over.

Fine by me if LP changes but leave some of the energy in your music for the fans that fell in love with it and supported them for a decade

10. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

If there aren't 2 whole verses which contain unheard lyrics, I will be utterly disappointed. The only con of the whole clip is simply the repetitiveness. Yes, it's catchy but a month from now you will very likely get sick of it. We have Mike saying the god bless us part, Chester singing the "memories in cold decay...", Mike singing "sins of our....", and the lift me up...let me go part. None of these are long enough for versus. I'm all for having no chorus but having 3 chorusses and a mini verse...not so much. Other than that the song is great instrumentally and the vocals go with the music perfectly.

11. Dismantle

Dismantle First person to create a 'Robot Boy' Remix

Rapping NOT being on the single for SURE, is different to 'Mike saying so'. Mike said we would get the single before anyone else if we preordered. He lied.

12. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

:lol:

13. SamohtCela

SamohtCela The Only Thing That's Worse Than One is None

I love the trailer and the song is growing alot more on me. I know that it isn't the full song but the parts that were in the trailer was amazing! I'm so glad it comes out tomorrow so I can listen to it over and over again. :)

14. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

it doesn't matter because the 4 minutes we got sucked. And to those defending the band, if this song wasn't made by LP would you show as much enthusiasm about it? Obviously you're going to lie here to make a point, but think about it.

Anyway song sucks, im so disappointed. Im not going to force myself to like it because it's Linkin Park. They're obviously way too consumed with being creative and experimental, and shedding the nu-metal sound. Thats objective A. Making good music is objective B. They've just lost their "touch" and uniqueness to me.

15. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

SHIT! I shouldve stayed up for a few hours so that i couldve had something to say a few pages back.

I quite enjoyed the trailer, but now i want the full version of the song. At least we only have one day left til that happens :D

16. akira

akira Banned

Glad to finally see people realize what's going on and see the reality of things.

This band is digging their own grave. Blah blah... look at where Limp Bizkit is at doing the same music? Results May Vary was their MTM, they changed their signature style for that album with more singing, ballads and other weird things in between. Then after that they released the Unquestionable truth which was also different from their early stuff. A dark gritty underground album that didn't follow their early song structure that made them successful.

NOW they're releasing a new album going back to their roots.. Early review:

http://thenumberoftheblog.com/2010/...ain-morgan-hangover-1-limp-bizkit-gold-cobra/

Linkin Park is still living off the fame and reputation they built for 5 years or so. That's the reason people keep supporting them, including me. That's a fact.

Lesson of the day, stick to what you're good at. LP got signed for they're rap/rock/mysterious style act... now they're trying as hard as they can to avoid doing what they're good at n order to keep making music fun. That's good for them... but we're the ones who're paying for their album and it will come to a point where people will start caring less about LP and slowly start downloading their albums instead of going out of their way to purchase them.

They've only put out one bad album IMHO, MTM. People are still hopeful that it was just a one time thing and that they'll put quality stuff out again [whether they go back to their roots or not.. dont matter we're hoping for some good stuff]. If this album fails once again, people will be more hesitant with their stuff later down the road. Their fall has begun since MTM, not only sales wise but review wise as well. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Yes the blind LP fans say they're better than ever in their own little hearts but the reality is out there and LP is getting bashed like they never were in the HT/Meteora days. Not to mention sales wise they're going on a decline and their recent stuff has been getting lower reviews than their early stuff. Let's just hope they get tired of experimentation soon and realize they can keep things fresh by EVOLVING the genre they're good at. They could implement all of these things into the kind of music they're good at.

It's sad to say but I believe we're witnessing the days we thought would never come. The fall of a band hat used to be something special, then again 10 years is a pretty good run... just too bad it had to end this way.

17. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

does the smiley mean you agree or just making fun of me lol

18. Vic

Vic No game no life

Not the full song... Listen to the full song and then you can make your opinion.

19. Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

If you think that's the full song you're wrong.. we're missing a piece of song roughly the length of "Bleed it Out." So.. there's a lot missing, actually.

20. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Mike NEVER said that we would get the single early if we preordered. That was the people who run the LPU, LP Facebook, and the LP Twitter who told us that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.