The Catalyst in Medal Of Honor

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryez

Ryez Active Member

Loved all of that except I still really don't like Mike's rapping of "God bless us everyone, we're a broken people...", sounds horrible :(

Am I the only one that doesn't like it and thinks it sounds out of place?

2. spraypaintnink

spraypaintnink Banned

Its not rapping, it's singing with overproduced vocals. Thats why it sounds bad. I agree though, everything besides that sounds great.

3. Hellions

Hellions Banned

Actually it's more along the lines of chanting. And overproduced how?

4. spraypaintnink

spraypaintnink Banned

Pretty sure Mike doesn't sound like a robot naturally. I'm not the only one not liking that.

5. Hellions

Hellions Banned

Just saying, people have flanged vocals before. Nothing new and certainly not overdoing it.

6. ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

That is an opinion. I don't think it's overproduced, but I still wish the flanger was toned down a bit. It sounds MUCH better in context of the song than it did in the seed though.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

But not Linkin Park. And this IS way overproduced vocals....It won't bug me if this only happens in a few songs. However if Mike's singing sounds like this in every song, that wouldn't be good. But I don't think it will considering the "lift me up, let me go" sounds MUCH more like Mike's real voice. And songs like No Roads left and Carry Me Away are also examples of Mike sounding great!

8. Ryez

Ryez Active Member

Are you sure it can be called "singing"? Sounds more like shouting...

9. ALivingGrudge

Yes, because he's alternating between 2 distinct notes.

10. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm going to go against some of the norm on this forum, and say that I feel this song is going to be huge. Despite deliberately not following the old LP formula, and being rather risky (Mike on many vocals as opposed to Chester), hearing Mike's voice over that piano before Chester comes in is just perfect. This song is growing on me heavily with each listen.

I recommend playing the trailer in HD and with earphones as it's an entirely new experience that way. You hear a lot more that way.

Note: Ironically, my unfinished and unreleased remix featured sirens and gun blasts, as well as sounds of bombs. How ironic.

11. Hellions

Hellions Banned

That doesn't mean anything. Whether you're shouting, screaming, singing, grunting or orgasming on mic you generally have to keep some form of key so it'll fit in the song. It doesn't make it singing.

12. ALivingGrudge

And that makes no sense at all. If you're orgasming or screaming into a microphone, you don't have to keep it in key at all. Whenever Chester screams, it's not a note at all. It's just a scream. So he's screaming...not singing.

Singing is the act of using your voice to produce notes....which is keeping it in key.

So yes, if he's using his voice to make distinct notes, even if it's agressive, it's singing. Listen to the Vocal seed for the contest. He alternates between singing an F and a D. So he's using his voice to make notes that can be produced on any instrument. Therefore, it is singing.

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I think what he is trying to say is no matter whatever the hell you're doing, it's gonna in some sort of key. We usually don't notice this because there's an obvious difference between talking and singing. Every sound can be matched with a note.

and I may sound like a dick, but the people who are saying that the vocals are overproduced, do you guys make music or just listen to it? Who the hell came up with the term "overproduced" anyway? It's either produced well or not. And it sounds pretty damn well. If you just gave mike reverb it would sound shitty

14. ALivingGrudge

Well, I make music, and I think they aren't overproduced, but I'm not gonna argue someone who thinks they are because the band is pushing it. And in all actuality, many artist only put reverb on their voice to make it sound more natural. This track, on the other hand, is both autotuned and flanged and reverbed. And there's probably some other stuff on there. This all combined makes him sound less human and more like a robot, and THATS what people mean by overproduced.

So...Yeah.

15. Hellions

Hellions Banned

Exactly. Often but not always the people being hypercritical don't even know how to make music themselves and it's kind of annoying especially when people are calling flanger effect on Mike's vocals "autotune".

16. ALivingGrudge

Are you saying I don't know what auto-tune is? It's not like auto-tune is an "on/off" switch. There are varying levels of auto-tune, and anyone who's toyed around with it would recognize it in the vocal seed that was provided to us for the contest.

Have you ever sat down for an extended period of time playing around with auto-tune and seeing what it sounds like at various levels?? I don't think you have if you can't recognize it in the seed that was provided.

EDIT: Sorry for calling you out many times today hellions_on_parade. It's nothing personal, I promise :).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  17. nscoope

nscoope Well-Known Member

I actually kind of like the way it sounds but I do think it sounds a little out of place. At least how it's used in this clip. It may fit other parts of this song perfectly which I really hope so.

18. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Flanging http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flanging_effect.ogg

Auto-Tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJGZ9RHAvU hmmm definitely a difference, im going to go with hellions on this one.

19. ALivingGrudge

20. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

how are they both being used? Auto tune is just used to make your voice sound better, to change notes which i dont even hear any note changing in mike's voice, flanging is just distorting the note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.