A Thousand Suns Album Cover

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

To be fair, LPU 8 was... shocking.

2. Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

Someone once placed a toilet in an exhibition and called it art (true story, no vulgarity intended). I think right now we have reason to think that this cover is nothing special (except for missing names). As I said, everyone can do it, and I personally feel like this doesn't live up to Joe's and Mike's standards, but any discussion about the value of a piece of art would lead nowhere.

People don't directly tell others to shut up, it's a rather subtle pressure. The negative posts will get less, you'll see...

@Joe and Derek: Didn't even mean it as criticism, I admire you guys for what you give to the community!

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Shocking like a PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLYFISH?

Didn't even think of it as such. We knew your intentions were good :).

4. the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

Word.

Well, I don't think we'll have a problem with that, since the date has been announced. That was the only thing that bothered my about Minutes to Midnight. The delays...oh...the delays...

Oh...and there was a SEGA game earlier this year that went up for pre-order with a set release date, but then people showed up to claim their copies to find out SEGA pushed it back another few months.

Let us hope that LP>SEGA.

5. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Fabolous, you said most of my thoughts that i've already shared.. nice to see i'm not the only one :)

6. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

No problem, it's all good. :)

...and you make a good point, look what Marcel Duchamp started with Fountain. Maybe LP are becoming the Duchamp of the music world. :lol:

7. Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Plenty of albums get a set date and then get delayed. Found out yesterday that one I was anticipating has been delayed. :(

Which Sega game?

Shocking like, I have Da Bloos.

8. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

As soon as I read the first page and saw Derek complaining I thought "How long until he says this has grown on him" :lol:

9. sukoru

sukoru I'm with the Ninjas

the whole cover thing reminds me the white pony era when everyone was dissapointed when the cover of deftone's album was revealed.and then the album came out.the rest is history.

10. the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

I see what you mean there. There are definitely things out there that are claimed to be art and just...don't make any sense whatsoever. In this instance though, Mike has been quoted as saying that this album is "sacred" to the members (See front page for link to the article, if you haven't read it already). I'd like to believe that there is a reason for this, a method to the madness I guess. But we can't know for certain until they come out and say it. As for the "everyone can do it" part...that's not necessarily true. Sure, it was quickly replicated as shown earlier in the thread, but nobody would have thought of doing it unless they saw the original image first.

Oh geez...there are so are many members just thinking to themselves "tl;dr"...I just know it. I need to be a lot less long winded.

11. DaveCNewton

DaveCNewton The Newtonator

In all fairness, we were told about the visual 'never before seen' aspects coming to the Linkin Park live shows... I think LP are blending art with music beyond the point of convention. They are taking a step out of the usual music world to give us, their fans, something very different. I'm sure their intentions will become clearer towards the release date, but do remember the likely reason for all this change is US, the fans

12. misery

misery Well-Known Member

It looks like a dove and an explosion I guess.. not really sure what to think to be honest. I hope the art in the booklet is awesome though. Maybe it will make the cover art make a bit more sense, haha.

13. Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

Don't worry about the "tl;dr" - it's nice talking to you :)

Yeah, the cover is definitely just a part of the whole picture and I'm still optimistic that I'll fall in love with the whole piece when it will, like you said, actually start to make sense!
    Pictures and paintings of exploding suns are nothing really original and new imo. It's something I have seen quite often. That's why I wonder why they use something that most people have already seen in this or that way.

Edit: Posted by Joe:"...and you make a good point, look what Marcel Duchamp started with Fountain. Maybe LP are becoming the Duchamp of the music world."

Yeah, I think this was actually what I was referring to :D (sorry, still don't know how to quote properly when I edit my post)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  14. Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

Well, at the end of the day, people are allowed to express their opinions (even if they're not that positive) as long as they don't go overboard, use profane language or insult the band or the people in this forum, that's the whole point of being on an internet forum. Saying that there's a reason not to post on LPA because it's full of negativty is a tad unfair I'm afraid. Yes, the artwork has polarized opinions so far, some (including me) like it or don't mind it, some others don't like it that much. But take a look at the other thread about the 10 seconds snippet of the Catalyst and see how many positive reponses it has got from the fans. That's how it is, people feel the need to express themselves, sometimes it's positive, sometimes it's negative. But as mentioned above, as long as they post maturely, it's all good and only makes for some good debate between the fans.

15. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to insinuate there lol.

16. Asua

Asua Well-Known Member

Looks like the Wu tang logo, but blurred

[​IMG]

17. Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

This!

18. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Double this!

19. erasus

erasus Well-Known Member

why does the album cover matter ? dont judge the book by its cover blabla ... come on guys 30 seconds to mars has some of the most ridiculous album covers in the world ...but their music is epic stuff :) ... meteora cover wasnt that great either

20. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Triple this! and btw :milton: You have my stapler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.