A Thousand Suns Album Cover

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I genuinely lol'ed at this.

2. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Maybe I'm just a little tired but it's quite trippy. Wow. :blink:

3. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I lol'd too. Propper lol'd.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

You may be right. The banner showing all 6 bandmates is pretty BADASS.

But don't think i'm losing sleep over this. I'm saying I don't like the art. But to be honest, I could care less. And odds are, just like you now, it will grow on me. But when I look at an album, I'm looking at 99.999% music and .001 percent album art.

5. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Oh, haha. I knew there were others but I could only think of Spurs and Birmingham.

Do you really have to ask? :p

6. Hellions

Hellions Banned

I love you

7. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

By "artwork", they mean the actual artwork that'll be on the cover as opposed to the finished cover. ;) They did this with "Midnight", too, put the photo from the album cover up on a splash page at linkinpark.com as the album was nearing release.

8. Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Oh I have a fairly good idea, but since everything I have to say about him would be considered flaming, I can't post it.

9. the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

Thank god there are a few sane voices here. Derek, of course, isn't the only sane voice here, there are many others. I just...ugh.

This artwork is reminding me why I don't usually bother posting on LPA. The news is awesome, and there are members who are fucking awesome, but then there are so many people who feel the need to put down LP for every decision they make that isn't Hybrid Theory. The negativity just drains the fun out of this place.

That said...
    [​IMG]

I saw the dove immediately, and thought of the duality in having a dove on the cover of an album named after a description of an atomic detonation. Also, I've noticed how it also looks like a bit like an explosion of some sort (after others mentioned it.)

I do think the "Mickey Mouse" and the "Teddybear" comments are a bit of a stretch. I see Mickey Mouse more often than most, and I can't see it at all.

10. Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

I think it's quite good.

11. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Thank you for your opinions enigma. While we definitely encourage freedom of discussion on here, you can be sure that you're not the only one noticing the increase in negativity from some fans. We're definitely keeping an eye on it, and will deal with accordingly if people get out of hand.

Like you, we want this forum to remain more :awesome: than :FUUUUUU:

;)

12. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Also:
    [​IMG]

13. Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

The news post invites us to say whether we love or hate it. I'm a little disappointed that people who seriously dislike it are slowly talked out of expressing their opinion the longer this thread gets. Of course we shall not judge the book by its cover, and of course the music is more important than art - but with these two artistic geniuses in the band I understand people who feel let down. Everybody can do this. And for me it's like they wasted 99.8% of their artistic potential with this cover. I like LP for the whole package they deliver, and I will definitely rethink my judgement when I see the album cover in the context of the whole album art, but up to now my expectations are totally let down.

Edit: I should have quoted Derek as well.

14. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Though, i think we should all agree that the forums should be more :lazars: and not :awesome: or :come2brazil:

15. Switchback

Are the people complaining the same people complaining about how Minutes to Midnight sounded?

16. Pedro18

Pedro18 Well-Known Member

No, i likd MTM and i am not in love with the cover

17. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yes we need more lazars. Definitely.

We encourage calm well worded, and intelligent opinions like what you said above. This is what we had in mind when we told people to state their opinions. Instead we have people being all like "OMFG LP SUCKS N THEY F-:FUUUUUU: HGHYGHYHFYHFHF. FIRING MY LAZARS! :lazars:".

We're just trying to weed the immature morons out of here. Intelligent commentary, for or against the album cover is welcome.

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Anyway, I'm just, um, not going to care about this album cover art for as long as possible.

19. Switchback

Well, hopefully it will grow on you. The cover's not really going to affect the music.

We also need Lasers.

20. the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

Please take note that "artistic genius" does not center around skill alone. It encompasses everything that gets put into the artwork, from the initial ideas to the emotions the artist was feeling while working on it. Art is subjective, and everyone, including two collaborating artists, will have very different opinions on the piece.

I don't see anyone telling people they can't express their opinions, but I just read through all 12 pages at once and encountered quite a bit of flaming. Not directed at members, mind you, but the band. You know, calling them names, saying they suck. All in various levels of vulgarity.

Oh, and thanks Dean for posting that other picture. Makes it (quite) a bit easier to see with reference.

EDIT: An example of artistic genius would be Picasso. From early on he had mad skill, but made the decision to paint abstract art. Some people like it, some people don't.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.