XFM Give Impressions on New LP Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

So, um, I've always thought "Given Up" was kind of sub-par in the lyrics department ...

As for "In Between" and "In Pieces", I think I actually like "In Between" better ... on "In Pieces", Chester's singing in the chorus kind of annoys me. :x It's definitely not the best song on the album, that one.

2. Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

For me "Shadow of the Day" is the best song on MTM.

3. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

It's interesting how no one really talks about Little Things Give You Away anymore. It was supposed to be the best thing they've written, but no one really cares too much about it.

4. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's up there.

5. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Actually IMO TLTTGYA is their best work to date.

6. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

While I definitely agree it's great, for the last three years we've discussed the fuck out of In Between, In Pieces, Valentine's Day etc. even Given Up. But I've hardly heard anything about Little Things since the first few months after the album was released.

7. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Because it's pretty unanimous that it's an awesome song I think, there's not much debate.

8. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The thing about bands using the same song structures on every song (*cough*Nickelback*cough*) is that after a while it comes off terribly unoriginal, and un-inspiring and starts to invite criticism from fans and critics alike. I remember that Phoenix said way back in the day (on Frat Party) that the band never wanted to become a band that says "here's your rap verse, and here's your hard rock chorus..." but instead work to form a sound that's purely their own and a sound that made you say "I know that sound, that's Linkin Park".

Fast forward to almost 10 years later, and I feel the band has yet to truly accomplish that goal. While Linkin Park does indeed have a style/sound that makes them instantly recognizable on the radio...many of their last releases feature songs that follow a very similar song structure to what Phoenix said they were trying to be against in the first place. The band became a victim of their own sound, and while MTM made great strides to try and get away from that, the band still was bogged down by typical song structures and lyrics (on some songs) that were incredibly cheesy and still from the Meteora song bin. For this reason, I'm awaiting this new record with baited breath. I support this band heavily, and they've been terribly nice to me and this site over the years, but I just really want to see them make music that's more substantial then what they've been doing. Musically they're far more capable then they allow themselves to be, and while I believe they could make this sound they've been hyping up...the only way to really change is to completely throw out the rulebook they've stuck to for so long. Linkin Park is (and was always supposed to be) about blending different genres together in ways that we didn't expect. They fought to get signed with this sound, and never listened to the people who told them to change before they got signed. It paid off and HT was a huge success, however over the years they slowly lost what made them...them. With this record, they need to come back hard with that old creative energy they had back then, and really make a statement. Otherwise they'll never become what they truly set out to be.

9. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Well said Derek ^^^
    I couldn't agree with you more. That's kinda what i feel when it comes to MTM. They tried to hard to turn mainstream with the downfall of nu-metal and criticism. Like you, I've been wanting back their creative energy once again.

EDIT: I think also in MTM they didn't have the greatest inspirations. HT - creative energy of fusing and defining this new sound. Meteora - well, Meteora haha. MTM - no one really knows.....chester's break up? (not a really good inspiration) I mean i guess Little Things Give you away had a good inspiration so it was a great song and so did what i've done....but everything else? i'd have to say not so much

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Certainly one of the highlights of the album and was one of only a few of the songs that didn't disappoint lyrically.

I'm certainly hoping for better lyrics on the new album. We know that Chester and Mike can get it right but MTM wasn't much of an example.

11. Derek

Yeah lyrics are key with this new release. I don't want to hear "pain" on another LP record ever again.

12. site_two

site_two Banned

Well said, it pains to say this but New Divide almost feels like a parody of Linkin Park to me, Chester's vocals on that track were very poor and uninteresting to the point that I only have listened to the song about 4 or 5 times to date, I really do hope and believe that the new album is going to sound nothing like New Divide, and have tracks as fantastic as Breaking The Habit or In Pieces all the way through. P.S. I think that singing from Mike should be included ALOT more often.

13. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Hasn't stopped Beatles fans from talking about Day In The Life.

14. Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

Linkin Park's issue with lyrics is that they re-write them so many freaking times. Though, no matter what song, Minutes to Midnight's lyrics are a huge step-up from Meteora. I've decided the whole over-simplification of the lyrics on Meteora was largely Don Gilmore's fault.

15. L₳ζ₳Я

L₳ζ₳Я The Evil Speculator

The upcoming album will be crucial for them, the fans and music in general. What they are trying to do with this record is probably something you have to go through as an artist, they are trying to re-define themselves, take two. They tried it with MTM but they went too far, they changed it too much and personally i didn't like it. It didn't live up to the expectations imo and now they are trying to raise the bar again and hopefully they'll do it. MTM is not what LP is all about, it sounds more like a DBS record. So a change isn't necessary a good thing. You must keep the essence.

You said it yourself, LP is all about hybrid sounds. Gutars, rapping, signing, piano, beats, etc smashes into one thing and creates the sound. That's what MTM missed. They are one of the most versatile bands right now and they need to exploit this fact. What makes me optimistic about this record? Comments that come from the band, new music will be more cutting edge, there will be more rapping, it will be genre busting, etc that's basically everything MTM missed. After Eminem it's time for them to have a recovery of their own.

16. Zane

All this talk, this may be the most important album they've ever written...possibly even more than Hybrid Theory. Some of their fans are getting really criticizing and this album is the one that's going to really count for them after MTM. And i think LP really understand this and how vital this whole album is. But even with all that you said (i do agree), i think this album is the one where LP has most grown on and will be the best album to date. They understand their basic sounds from the first 2 albums, they understand the criticism, they've gone past the boundaries with MTM, they grown way more mature with the writing styles and they've got the experience. In this album they have the ability to bring it all together with even more new ideas coming from all these years along with their side project experience....i think it really is going to be great.
    though there is one thing that's making me really uncomfortable right now is this quote that i just read....
    It makes me feel like they're not going to be doing their best work and all....

17. faint 13

faint 13 You, try to take the best of me, GO AWAY

Cant wait till the album is in stores!

18. Derek

No, Chester there is saying that they want to do an 'insane' record, but not take Chinese Democracy length to release it. That's all that meant.

19. Zane

hmmm, it almost sounded like they had this great plan that they had but had to cut short due to time

p.s. what if i told you i was chinese...... HAHAHA

20. Derek

I'm not sure if you were joking :)lol:), but if you were unaware: Chinese Democracy is a Guns N' Roses album that took 13 years from conception (1995) to actually be released (2008) due to re-writes as well as problems within the band/lineup changes that kept causing it to be pushed back. It cost over 13 million to make, and actually wasn't even that good. So I think that's what Chester meant in his quote. He didn't want to spend over 6 years 'over-perfecting' an album, and spending millions on it, thus making fans angry/raising expectations to impossible to reach standards in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.