Chester Comments On New Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I want Mike to use words that I never knew existed.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Slightly related but totally lol:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

If Matthew Bellamy said it, then I'm fine.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

That's nice coming from the lead singer of one of the most over-rated bands on the planet. I like Muse but often I get sick of hearing of them...they're everywhere for christ's sake.

Rick Rubin's production credits speak for themselves.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

hey, even chester is a muse fan. true story

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Again with Muse.. (facepalm)

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I'm going to take everything any of the band members say about the album with a grain of salt haha. Remember all of the things they said to get us excited about the last album? And then we got Minutes To Midnight. Baha! After spending the years of 2003-2006 myself complaining about Don Gilmore and the work he ahd done with them on Meteora, I can now safely say that his theory on music worked a hell of a lot better than what we got out of MTM. MTM is not relistenable and got old QUICKLY. The "little kid in Cleveland" would've been fast asleep by the third run through the MTM album.

Being an LP fan since early 2001, I hope hope hope that the next album doesn't let me down.

hybridsoldier1989

I'm not sure about you or others, but Muse's albums are far more everlasting and timeless than Linkin Park's Minutes To Midnight.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That sh*t is subjective, like everything else in this thread. :sleep:

hybridsoldier1989

Well, yeah, but there is a hell of a LOT more going on in Muse songs than in LP's latest ones. I don;t think anyone could deny that. They have 3 members and their sound is incredibly dense. The absence of Joe Hahn on the majority of MTM was a disaster imo.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I agree that Muse are better than Linkin Park, without a doubt. I'd still have Rick Rubin over Don Gilmore though.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Muse fullfil their potential all the time.
    LP don't always. They're too stuck in minimalism I think.
    That said, I'm still a bigger LP fan.

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

I can deny that. Muse sux

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

Muse is good music, but comparing Muse to LP is like comparing apples to oranges. They come from vastly different musical backgrounds. Matthew Bellamey is classically trained, and Muse is outta the UK. However, I really believe that the new LP material is gonna be heavily influenced from them. Which is a good thing!

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Please read the rules in the Newbie Camp forum. Specifically the "respect other people's music tastes" rule. You can dislike a band, and even express reasons as to why you don't like them...but flat out saying a band sucks here is not allowed.

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

I apologize for that. I'm just kinda tired of a lot of ppl saying Muse is better than LP. I do like a few songs by Muse, but dont agree with them being better. My teenieness got the better of me lol.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Rick certainly didn't impress me on M2M. Muse don't jump out as appealing to me, but I can recognize their talent.

I would really like to see what LP could do if Mike just produced it.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

Rick Rubin certainly did not help his case with Minutes to Midnight. I support Bellamy on this.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Everyone is trashing on Rick Rubin, but they completely forget that it was Linkin Park's choice to go in the direction they did for MTM. Rick didn't go to them and say "okay, let's strip most (if not all) of the rap elements out of your sound...and let's have the songs decidedly less electronic". Rick had barely any influence on the CD apart from saying "this sounds too much like something you did before" and if anything, that's what hurt the album. Rick's lack of influence.

No. Instead, like he has been known to do with artists: he told the band to make the music THEY wanted to make, and not what the public expects them to make. He told them to try and create a sound that was unique to them, and to not re-hash the same old sound they did two albums prior. And that's just what they did. Made the music THEY wanted to make. He even told them before working with them (and this has been well documented) that he didn't want to work with them if they were just going to make a Hybrid Theory Part 3 and I thank him for that because he made the band grow up. That old sound, as much as the "old LP fanatics" cling onto it, was old...and stale and overdone. It was too easy for the band to create, and too easy for others to replicate. It no longer challenged them in the way they wanted it to, so they branched out and made a new sound that challenged them musically. The "new sound" might have not been popular with some people, but what's important is that it forced the band to try things they never tried before and that is what Rick Rubin is known for, and has always been known for.

The whole idea that Rick removes rap out of CDs is absolutely ludicrous. He was the original DJ of the Beastie Boys (DJ Double R), and was credited with being one of the pioneers of mixing rap and heavy metal together. He co-founded Def Jam records (where if that didn't exist, there would be no Jay-Z and other important rap artists), and produced Aerosmith and Run D.M.C's "Walk This Way" a record that blew up the doors on the whole rap-rock genre.

Quite simply, Rick Rubin IS rap rock and was the best choice for the band for Minutes To Midnight. It's unfortunate the band chose to go a direction different than what the fans wanted, but there is no doubting what Rick can do.

Rick produced the Beastie's Boys pivotal "License To Ill" record, Run D.M.C's "Raisin Hell", and Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". All great records that combined rap and rock to great success.

Then you have to consider he produced Audioslave's self titled, System Of a Down's self titled, Jay-Z's amazing "Black Album", and much more. (Full list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin_production_discography).

The guy is a great producer, and I guarantee you that given his production skills and album history...if LP want to re-introduce hip-hop into this next record, he'd be the best person to help them figure out how to make it fresh and exciting, because if it wasn't for him: hip hop wouldn't be where it is today.

20. LinkinPark2002

LinkinPark2002 Well-Known Member

Excellent speech Derek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.