LPU 9 Is Out: The Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It was a really hard song to transcribe. Let me tell you.

LPAA9

LPAA9 Don't eat the yellow snow

I just imagined what it sounded like if the song was finished with that lyrics, the rap-verse and mike singing...i think that would be really sweet!:D

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

lol, just got to Fear and wow, part of me screams "this is the version they should have made (with edits of course)", the other part of me is just laughing my ass off.

the parts where it's jibberish, is this just where Mike wanted to have rapping parts and was kind of "leaving it" for future edits when he had actual lyrics?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Apparently, yes.

Derek

Yeah basically :lol:.

He sounds like 50 Cent with some gum in his mouth.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Omg you're right! :lol:

I'm glad Across The Line didn't make the cut though. It's a surprise coming from LP but in general it's pretty mediocre.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Mike's jibberish is actually more coherent and more meaningful than 50 Cent lyrics.

Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

A.06 - i bet it was the choice "don't stay" or this. pretty similar feel in both of the songs. the chorus seems a bit weak

Faint - a bit too much in the verses, cool lyrics and somehow i like it

Sad - interessting short instrumental. having many different versions of the actual song, this one is gold

Fear - i can't help it but i really like the chorus singing. not sure about the verses, but the different singing melody sounds pretty cool. mike's rap sound pitched down, maybe because of speed editing?

Figure.09 - it's a shame that this version didn't find its way through lp's writing progress. i love the different chorus, the bridge and the general riffing. one of the highlights of this cd

Stick N' Move - again a short instrumental, nothing spectacular

Across The Line - should've been on M2M, really! the structure (which is typical for M2M -> building up) is great and so are beat and lyrics. the beat reminded me of "in pieces" because of its strong presence. amazing b-side, but worse than "no roads left". still, this song leaves me asking how many more great b-sides/demos are out there that we never heard of...

Drawing - really glad that they re-wrote this song. unlistenable at times, would've been a waste of this great string pattern

Drum Song - good example of lp's experimenting phase. nothing magical inside (except for the well known ending sans solo) but a good start that led to one of their best songs

thank you LPU, got SOME of my faith restored. for the rest of it you have to give us an awesome year 10, because you fucked too much with us ;).

best LPU cd (even better than the "hybrid theory EP"). this one is pure gold for every fan that has been around for a long time. has an album structure with it's instrumentals in between and i love it.

Derek

Very good review. Basically agree with everything you said.

Trumtram

thank you :)

i might add something. if "across the line" would've been on M2M for "in between" this album would have had one more up-tempo song which it lacks in general. this was the major critique.

damn, i love this song!

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

a.06 in UNBELIEVABLE !!! UNBELIEVABLE !!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    but the ad part is .... no vocals :(
    this thing is killing me really! imagine it with chester screams and mike's raping on it
    best song ever !!!!!!

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I agree with this. It sounds good sure but it isn't amazing by any means. Sounds like something Linkin Park would have on a compilation CD or something instead of fitting on an album.

Still sounds pretty cool though.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

I think Across the line is better then In Between though
    easily and No Roads Left is slightly better than ATL
    makes me wonder really how the hell did In Between make MTM

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I disagree in some ways with most people. Yeah, Across The Line is a good song and probably belonged on Minutes To Midnight, but, I also get the impression that if we had only just heard In Between on this new LPU CD, then we would all be raving at how that should have been on there instead. Yeah, ATL is more up tempo and would probably work better as a whole on the CD to change the pace up a bit, but putting In Between on there wasn't a bad choice IMO, it's a stand out track in that it has Mikes vocals and it's a slower pace, and I actually quite like it and glad it's on there.

Trumtram

i strongly disagree. sure, people tend to flip over new music from their favourite band (see: "new divide"). but "in between" was a song that never really gave me anything from the beginning. it was the definite low point of M2M when i first heard it and almost stayed there till today.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Woahhhhhhhhhhh I can't WAIT to hear this.

Overall its sounds as awesome as we hoped for! Shame about stick n Move though, but I bet its still sounds terrific.

Thanks for the reviews guys! Best LPU disc ever ???

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

A.06 - I like the rawer drum sound, but, other than that, it doesn't really go anywhere. Much better as a short instrumental.

Faint - A rough-sounding demo. I suppose the lyrics could be considered "better" than the final version, but I'm not entirely sure; they're pretty forgettable. Overall, the final version is much better.

Sad & Stick N' Move - Interesting little demos. Nothing I'd really care to listen to again, though.

Fear - I'm thoroughly convinced this song shouldn't exist in any form.

Figure.09 - The chorus is much better than the one on Meteora. I also much prefer this bridge to the bridge in the final version that they copied and pasted from "By Myself."

Across the Line - The lyrics are pretty bad, and I don't really like the robo-disco-sounding drum beat. Be that as it may, it's still better than "Leave Out All the Rest."

Drawing - An instrumental version of "Breaking the Habit," essentially. Not really much to say.

Drum Song - This is a lot like the "Faint" demo: interesting, but the final version is superior. It is cool to hear how the song evolved, though.

On the whole, LPU 9 is decent, if unspectacular. Better than fucking live tracks, that's for sure.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Why DO you say that?

Derek

I don't know why people keep saying Across The Line has terrible lyrics. Granted it's not LP's finest hour but it's a lot better than some of the songs that made it to MTM.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

This.

The only real downpoint for me was the incomplete vocals on some songs, especially the figure 9 demo. Then again they were demos so it was to be expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.