Who are the LP elders around here?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by TRANSLYDE, Sep 11, 2009.

TRANSLYDE

TRANSLYDE Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, who's been a fan since the beginning? I started listening to Linkin Park way back in 2002 myself, Hybrid Theory having been my first album. I even remember the first song I heard was In the End.

Part two of this is where your Linkin Park fandom led you. When I was a member at Linkin-Park World, I remember a lot more LP fans that had started listening to LP a lot closer to the release of MTM, and were therefore a lot closer to their pop and punk influences. A lot of Lostprophets and MCR fans there as I recall. I, on the other hand, went the more metal way of things, tapping into Sevendust, Disturbed, and Adema, until finding prog. What did you elders get into after becoming full-fledged LP fans?

This is not one of those "How did you become a fan?" threads. However, feel free to not approve this post if this has been done and redone.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Late 2001 for me; they were the first band I got into and I bumped nothing but "Hybrid Theory" 'til "Meteora" came out. :)

I've come to be a massive fan of Celldweller, Nine Inch Nails, Innerpartysystem, Pendulum, Coldplay, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, Jay-Z, Deftones and Julien-K, among many others.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

November 2000 for me. Holy crap it's almost been 9 years.

Adema, Dry Cell, Finger Eleven were my other big three. Seemed like there were a lot of Good Charlotte and MCR fans around the time of Meteora's release.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

since 2004 baby! :D

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I've been a fan since I first heard "One Step Closer" on MTV back in the day. I was hooked right then and there. Man that was a long time ago...

Back then I was listening to a lot of music from Green Day, Staind, Disturbed, Adema, Korn, Good Charlotte, Nsync (haha), etc.

Now I listen to bands such as The Killers, AFI, MCR, Maroon 5, Shiny Toy Guns, The Birthday Massacre, Green Day, Depeche Mode, John Mayer, etc. I don't really listen to bands that are like Linkin Park anymore.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

same here, I think it was early 2001 or something like that

moniku

moniku Well-Known Member

The moment I saw Chester's spikes and Mike's red hair and heard "SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU," in the One Step Closer video, I loved them. So pretty much since 2000. :lol:

In a way, it kind of stunk for me because I was only 8-9 years old back then and obviously too young to go to concerts. Now when I'd go to an event or concert, older fans sometimes give me a look like, "Oh, a noob/teenie fan." Seriously, I get that attitude from my older brother's friend.

But it's funny because at that age, I was into stuff like Korn, System of a Down, Papa Roach, and Limp Bizkit all because of that same friend, who shared his musical tastes to my brother, which eventually went to me. I was pretty afraid of admitting liking that kind of music as a kid though, and still get some weird looks when I tell people now lol.

But from LP, I've probably taken the less common route and now have a great liking towards hip hop, especially old school/underground acts and instrumentals (hip hop x lounge/jazz kind). Some of my favorites now would be the Black Eyed Peas (pre-Fergie era especially), Pharoahe Monch, Nujabes, Prefuse 73, De La Soul, m-flo, and Lupe Fiasco. Also, alternative rock in general.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I don't know. When I first saw One Step Closer on TV I didn't really liked it. Then a month later or something my brother had Cure For The Itch on repeat and had some other songs on repeat so I got hooked. Been a fan since 2001 I guess.

TRANSLYDE

You see folks, there's a reason I brought this up. Those of us who are "Linkin Park elders" have been fans of the band long enough to have subsequently moved onto various other bands; up to nine years worth of new music, in fact.

What I'm trying to demonstrate here is the diversity of Linkin Park's influences, even in only the first two albums. By the sound of it, Hybrid Theory and Meteora have caused many of us to branch off into metal, punk, emo, electronica, hip hop, prog, industrial, and even post-punk. Now that's a collection.

It would be interesting to see, years after the releases of MTM and the 4th album respectively, where the "elders" of that generation of fandom have gone with their musical tastes.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

April 2001.

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

I knew of Linkin Park around 2001 but I became a fan in 2002. I always remember my friend introducing me to their music in 2002. In The End was the song that got me hooked and I ended up borrowing my friends In The End CD single for a week and had it on non-stop.

When 2003 came along, I purchased the Meteora album first and I decided to listen to Numb straight away as I did read some praise of this song. Meteora was such a fantastic album that I then went ahead and got Hybrid Theory and that became one of my favourite albums of all time. Such a perfect album; absolutely flawless.

Around the time of me becoming a huge fan of Linkin Park, I was listening to the likes of Limp Bizkit, Staind, Puddle Of Mudd and Nickelback. Then from 2003 onwards, I began to listen to older music from the likes of Black Sabbath and Nirvana. I also became a huge fan of The Rasmus when their Dead Letters album was an international success and I adored the Scandinavian sound. Not long after that, Ill NiƱo and Breed 77 became other favourites of mine. The list goes on.

However, since around 2007-2008, my music tastes varied even more. I would listen to the softer stuff like pop and some dance music, but I was mainly engrossed in the heavier stuff. I began to look more in-depth in the genres such as metalcore, death metal, post-hardcore and so on.

The music I'm currently listening to is metalcore/post-hardcore mixed in with electronica/pop. I See Stars and Asking Alexandria are two new bands I'm getting into. Melodic metalcore is another genre I was fascinated by due to the band, Dead By April. I also like rock/electronica from Innerpartysystem, which by the way are an awesome band. Finally, I do like alternative rock so I guess that clarifies I like a wide range.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I started listening in 2005 i think, nowadays my music taste is kind of hard to talk about, but in the last couple months i've really been into ambient/downtempo/trip hop type things like Boards Of Canada and DJ Shadow and "real" screamo like Saetia, La Quiete etc. Over the past couple years I've listened to a lot of Nine Inch Nails, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Thrice and King Crimson. Fun.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

2002.. I was only 9...jeez.....

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Twas late 2000. I was a young wee lad at ta age of 16. When they actually first came out I hated them. At first glance I thought they were another limp biskit. I remember looking at mikes hair and thinking what the hell is wrong with him. Anyways, I had gotten into a fight with my GF and one of my friends threw the hybrid theory album at me and said its a good album to listen to when you need to get your anger out. I started listening to the album and when it came to crawling I listened to it for 2 hours straight. I was friggen hooked after that. That same week I listened to the whole album over and over again and immediately joined the LPU.

Before Linkin Park I only listened to hip hop/rap and R&B genres. My music taste has changed drastically. I definitely have, moreover, a passion for rock now. I am open to music now. I actually ended up dying my hair like Mikes in 2001 and it came out hot pink. It was pretty bad! I had a huge LP collection and in 2004 I moved and it was stolen from me. EVERYTHING! HT EP included!

Anyways, I LOVE LP! :blink::lol::D:)

TRANSLYDE

Whoa, I've found another proghole on a Linkin Park forum! :eek:

Will you be getting The Incident in a few days then? ^_^

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Fall of 2001 for me...I don't remember what exactly came first/when I first heard about them, Linkin Park was everywhere when I was in 8th grade. I remember some kid on the bus trying to explain them to me right at the beginning of the school year, as a band with 2 standalone vocalists was a completely foreign concept to me that I couldn't wrap my head around at the time. :lol: I know we did a project in English class that involved playing a song for the class and trying to explain what the lyrics meant...3 different people used songs from Hybrid Theory. We took a field trip to Washington D.C. in March of 2002, and I bought a CD player and my first 3 CDs to listen to on the bus trip, Hybrid Theory was one of them.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Yep, can't wait. I would've liked to get the deluxe edition with the 5.1 mix, but i don't have the money now unfortunately so i'll just be getting the average one. I've held off downloading it for about a week now haha.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

It was back in 2004 when I first listened to LP.

"Numb" was the first song I heard, but "points of authority" was the clincher, I basically couldnt stop listening to em for 2 years after that :D

Around the time I got into LP, I was (or already) listening to odd songs from Finger Eleven, Shinedown, Sevendust, (which have stood the test of time & i'm still listening to em today!)

Now my taste hasn't changed that much, but i've grown to appreciate loads of other bands and genres:

e.g. Metallica, System of a Down, Elbow, Muse, Slipknot, Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Bullet for my Valnetine, David Gilmour, Foo Fighters, Joe Satriani, Three days grace, theory of a dead man.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I saw all three bands in concert. Shinedown was amazing! Sevendust was dead on and the material was just as good as their studio versions. FInger Eleven was just terrible. I dont know if they were just having a bad day but..... not so good. One of the best concerts ive ever been to was Avenged Sevenfold in San Jose,CA Talk about ENERGY! Still havent seen an LP concert :(

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Summer 2001. 'In The End' was everywhere at the time, and I took quite the liking to it. Next thing you know I find out that my closest cousin had fallen in love with the band and had purchased the album; monkey-see, monkey-do, I went ahead and purchased the album as well soon after. And, the rest is history I suppose.