New Album: Don't Expect a "New Divide" Sound

Discussion in 'News' started by Andrea, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

In a recent interview with UltimateGuitar.com, Mike explains that the new Linkin Park album does not sound like their latest single, "New Divide".

"The new album actually doesn't sound a lot like "New Divide," but it sounds great. We've got about 40 song ideas so far. We're trying to do something different from our other albums, with a focus on making some stuff that's more experimental, and hopefully more cutting-edge. There actually might be more rapping. I'm putting all my Fort Minor energy into the new Linkin Park album...you never know which tracks will make the final cut, but hopefully there will be more rapping, and some great beats on the new record."

He also states at the end of the interview that Chester's solo project, Dead By Sunrise, will be released in September 2009.

To read more of the interview, please visit UltimateGuitar.com, where Mike discusses "New Divide", writing a song for a movie, challenging moments for the band, feelings on Projekt Revolution, and much more.

Thanks to Harlz for the news!

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Same as it was with QWERTY; release something a while before dropping the album and get people expecting one thing, release an album months later that sounds nothing like it.

At least they're warning people this time, lol.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

Nice ^

It sounds like it'll be bigger than epic, because that word is being thrown around more than nu-metal.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Fort Minor beats on a Linkin Park album please.

clg42086

clg42086 Member

A new album from LP... . I think that LP should express solos in their music (ex: The Little Things Give You Away). The solo was good for that song and I know most would agree. Its very soft and mellow....but imagine something hardcore they do with a solo? It hasn't happened yet (except Faint live at the end with that solo). I think LP should use Brad's talent the same way they use Chester's voice... But then again, when LP says their music is going to be different you never really know what to expect. In my opinion, I just sit back and enjoy the show because no matter what LP does we're going to love it 9 times out of 10. Throw more Joe Hahn and more Brad in and I think that should be the new sound. More solos....I mean what else could they do new...but I'll leave it up to LP....they haven't disappointed me yet and I don't think they ever will. Their shit grows on us in the end and you know damn well it does... Ok I am done talking.....lol

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

i hate the word experimental. it's just like a lighter version of the word 'avant-garde'. Although it means the same thing, Mike Shinoda would get heaps of shit if he called the new Linkin Park album, 'more avant-garde'.

It doesn't really matter though. Should be a good album.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

That's because the two terms are generally used to refer to two different things.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

yeah but, musically they mean the same.

But it doesn't really matter, it's just something that i find annoying. probably quite unreasonably.

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

Thank GOD it doesn't sound like "new devide" !!!!!!!
    Anyway i don't even understand why they're insisting on making a new album with "something different". Didn't they say that about m2m ? I think that's enough. And i really hope there'll be more rap on the next album mike, i really do :)

Hope we'll all like their next album.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

Did they ever really say or hint that QWERTY would be what their new CD sounded like? I thought QWERTY was just a song for the LPU or a offbeat song they wanted to create for the Japan tour.

At any rate, I hope they stick around the M2M sound and just make it a little heavier and it would be perfect, IMO

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I'm pretty sure they warned us last time. But everyone was too excited because they'd be been building up hype for more than a year at that point.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't want to come off as some asshole purist, but I do hope they stray closer to how "Meteora" sounded this time around. I loved "Minutes To Midnight" and I'm glad the band is experimenting, but I also hope that this round of experimenting steers them towards material with more of Hahn's scratching, a little more of Shinoda's rapping and really expansive hooks. :)

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

I second that.

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

More rapping? :( Im not fan of it but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna support it no matter what!wahaha. I hope it would be more dark...and loud :)

LinkinPark2002

LinkinPark2002 Well-Known Member

I 3rd that.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

They gave several contradicting descriptions. First it was spooky and poppy, then it was old school hip hop with punk and heavy classic rock influences, then I think one of them made an Arcade Fire comparison. They never came out and said "Don't expect more of that" before the new album came out, they just said "There's less rapping", which still led a lot of people to believe it was a still going to be a heavier album then it ended up being. Nobody knew what to expect and just went with they could actually hear for themselves, even if it was a year beforehand.

That said, I preferred Minutes to Midnight over Meteora.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Can't make everyone happy.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I don't mean to offend anyone, and MTM is my favorite album ever... but...

The real Linkin Park is back.

Rap it up, Mike!

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I really really hope for 2 things. Change in song structure and more instrumentation, which must include more guitar works and scratching. Stray away from the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus format.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

MtM is your favorite album ever? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.