Bands I Don't get

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by barnes80, May 20, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Dude, I am on the same level with you on LP, but this is a GREAT community to keep posting in, Other Music, Kickback Cafe, Random Chat, all great online places, I hope you keep postin.

I don't listen to BB or 3DG that much anymore but I still love the songs when I hear them on the radio randomly, and I've seen them both live and Ben plays the most complex shit while singing so I gotta give him that, his hands are ALWAYS maximum stretched out and doin weird stuff.

2. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I saw New Nightwish (with Anette Olzon fronting the band) in Sydney on their Dark Passion Play tour here in Oz and everyone was saying how bad Tarja was at warming up the crowd (people who had been to their tour with Tarja). My reasoning to that is, Tarja is trained soprano and she can't dance around the stage like Anette can do. Anette did it for me when she sang songs that needed Tarja to do it (Wish I Had An Angel & Wishmaster).

Dragonforce.Is.A.Band.That.Cannot.Play.Live.Even.If.Their.Lives.Depended.On.IT

Which reminds me, a few more bands I cannot get:
    > New Silverchair (think Young Modern). Loved their old stuff.
    > Fallout Boy
    > My Chemical Romance
    > Silverstein
    > Plus44

3. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Updated #3
    Nine Inch Nails(ive tried but couldnt get into them)
    Lacuna Coil(same here)
    Coheed And Cambria(everyone likes them and i dont)
    Chiodos(my sister loves them and i cant stand them)
    Mindless Self Indulgence(meh)
    The Bravery(snoozefest)
    Fall Out Boy
    Avenged Sevenfold
    The Devils Wear Prada
    Muse
    The White Stripes
    Kings of Leon
    Foo Fighters(i like some songs tho)
    Coldplay
    Trivium
    Lil Wayne
    Tool
    Nickleback
    most rap
    My Chem(like some of their stuff tho)
    Dragonforce(extremly overrated)
    System Of The Down(sometimes im like wuh?)

4. DisturbedOne98

DisturbedOne98 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot Nick, that means a lot. I certainly will keep posting here!

Hey there will always be a place in my heart for that type of music, and there are certainly those times when it comes on, I will feel like it a lot and just want to rock out and sing the lyrics haha.

I can't believe Ben doesn't play more of that complex stuff on their records! Maybe if they do that on the next BB record, they'll get me really back into them. ;)

I could totally understand that man. I bet Anette has a way better stage presence and would make for a better concert.

To see her do some of those old songs would be interesting!

I bet Nightwish puts on an epic show, which is cool. I don't expect anything less from that type of band. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  5. Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

Dragonforce sucks even on their albums. Herman Li admitted that it's all about being flashy several times, and he apparently sees no problem with that.

I actually like the newer Silverchair stuff better than their older stuff. Frogstomp had its good points, but until Neon Ballroom, they were kinda meh, tbh.

Fall Out Boy and MCR are really the only other bands on that list that I disagree with you on. Silverstein and +44 seem to go over my head.

6. Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

+44 is hard to get into but listen to Little Death while on a bed with the lights off, a window open near your head and listen to it as the air hits your face.

That is what got me hooked.

7. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I forgot probably my main selection: Muse. I like some of their stuff but I don't get why everyone is so over the top hyper-orgasmic about them. Nothing special IMO.

8. John

John LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

so that's how you listen to music.

9. Iain

I'll definitely give that a try, haha.

That reminds me of how I first listened to In Rainbows. Only there was no open window, but it was so cold in my room that I could see my breath, because it was winter, and the heating system was broken in my room. And I was wearing huge headphones with the volume cranked.

10. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

You obviously have no fucking idea what DragonForce is about.

There is nothing wrong with being flashy either. Why is everyone so against technical skill nowadays?

11. DisturbedOne98

Dragonforce and technical skill shouldn't even be in the same post.

12. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

They were separate points, but come on. Herman Li and Vadim Pruzhanov (their keyboardist) can play. So what if they aren't that original in their writing, and their solos are mostly predictable (aside from the video game shit they do i guess), they are quite good at their instruments.

13. DisturbedOne98

They can hardly reproduce what they do on record at a live show? I'm sure they are very skilled, but it almost seems like false advertising to me.

14. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I wouldn't say HARDLY reproduce myself. I imagine it would be quite hard to play their shit live, but they do an alright job of it, they don't really screw up anything major that ruins the song or anything. And I know that that's probably not good enough for some people, but i imagine DragonForce would be a pretty fun live show, whether they're playing all the solos on the record or not.

15. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

a) I wasn't saying that Dragonforce lacked skill, I love their Inhuman Rampage album. I'm just saying they can't play live for shit.
    b) I pity people who underestimate Maynard James Keenan's talent (as regarding to Jacob's post about Tool) as a singer, song writer and a bassist.
    c) Coldplay. The name says it all. Cold. Play.
    d) Weezer is another band.
    e) DisturbedOne98 - It was horrible to hear Anette do Tarja-only songs. I have photos :)

16. SecondCityKids

Oh snap i forgot
    Distrubed

17. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It might just be me but I think a lot of people overestimate him if anything, as a lyricist, a commentator, and to a degree as a vocalist. I can't stand all the Tool fanboys who worship him, and think that if you rearrange the Lateralus tracklist in a certain manner, and listen to it backwards while under the influence of something or other, it imparts to you the meaning of life.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  18. Iain

Dragonforce sounds like an old Atari game gone to shit. But that's just my opinion.

Being flashy and technical skill are two totally different things. Joe Satriani, while flashy and over the top, has skill. Herman Li, while flashy and over the top, sucks. Besides, technical skill doesn't sound as good as someone who can sorta play who REALLY loves what they're doing.

Heart > skill

At least for me. Unless you sound like a five year old throwing stuff, in which case you just need some serious help.

I agree.

It's not just you. I'm the same way.

19. SecondCityKids

Agreed.. kinda like Trent Reznor but at least i can understand why people worship him

20. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

lol, i need someone else on my side in this technical skill/flashy/dragonforce argument.

I can't be fucked thinking of new points, and no one EVER changes their view of things on the internet. So i'mma stop here.