Bands I Don't get

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by barnes80, May 20, 2009.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

QFT. I don't think music gets much cheesier than bands like Nightwish.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I dunno Nightwish seem pretty genuine to me.
    Though in general I don't like symphonic.

DisturbedOne98

DisturbedOne98 Well-Known Member

Symphonic Metal is awesome when bands do it right. If Nightwish is all you've been exposed to, then I can see why that statement is "lulz".

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Modest Mouse. That's a big one for me. I can't believe I thought their last album was album of 2007 for a while, when that year we had Ire Works, Let's Stay Friends, The Big Dirty, On Letting Go, In Rainbows, I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child, This Is Where The Fight Begins...

It's really nothing to do with how they were my most recent ex's favourite band or one of them

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

No offense, but that's just ridiculous.

I'd understand if you said it's harder to relate to them and get what they write about, but saying they're not particularly good musically, lyrically, technically and such...

If those bands didn't make music that was good, then I've never heard good music before.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

i've heard much more symphonic metal than Nightwish. I didn't really like any of it. Nightwish are probably my favourite band from the genre, actually.

To say that those band's aren't good musically is bullshit. Sorry. (imo)

On a technical level though, they aren't that great by today's standard. But putting a shredder in The Beatles wouldn't work at all. And lyrically i respect these band's much more than most of the metulz that's come out, ever.

Rolling Stones I don't care for at all though. Putting them next to the rest of those bands doesn't really seem right to me.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I love symphonic metal like Nightwish and Sirenia.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Fair enough, that's what opinions are for I guess. Regarding the technical/musical aspect I was more referring to The Beatles and Stones rather than Hendrix and Led Zep. Them I can respect but they just don't appeal to me musically. I regard them in much the same way as I do say, Bruce Dickinson or Ronnie James Dio's vocals. Stylistically it doesn't appeal to me but I can't deny that technically they are very good.

Also I wasn't particularly saying The Beatles needed a shredder. You can be good technically without tremolo picking at 130BPM. But lyrically, come on? There are a lot of metal bands out there (not so much the mainstream ones) who could write better lyrics than songs like "Yellow Submarine".

But then again, what do I know? I'm just a scene kid who likes generically scene bands and promotes heresy towards the legends.

(Also please add DragonForce to my list of bands).

Last edited: May 26, 2009
    Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I think one thing that is being really overlooked is that during the time period bands like the Beatles were around, at least their early years, you have to think of what life was like. Things were simple, and a lot more innocent. It shows in the lyrics written in that time period.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I actually tend to prefer symphonic metal over power metal. The majority of symphonic metal bands I've seen are at least decent live, some of which (such as Epica) are actually very good. Power metal bands on the other hand...yeah, they can throw some badass guitar solos into their songs, but I'm usually terribly disappointed to find out that they suck at replicating them live. I appreciate instrumental proficiency, but if you can't pull it off live, I don't think you should bother with it.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I agree.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

If you're going to argue that The Beatles don't deserve their 'legend' status, please don't mention Yellow Submarine. That song isn't representative of The Beatles at all. It's pretty much just filler.

And I personally think The Beatles were great musically. but w/e.

DisturbedOne98

It pretty much comes down to the band. Power metal can be good to, live especially. I can totally tell you're getting that notion from hearing Dragonforce live lol. I can see why you would think that. That's seriously a shameful representation of "Power Metal".

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

QFT

Old Nightwish is awesome (who are technically Symphonic/Power metal) when Tarja fronted the band.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

New Nightwish is pretty good too, really. Not a huge fan of the band though. Just saying that the music is just as good now, as before.

I've never seen a power metal band live unfortunately. I'd very much like to see Blind Guardian though. I love Blind Guardian.

think i'm a fire engine

think i'm a fire engine Well-Known Member

Breaking Benjamin, Hinder, Three Days Grace,

They're shittier, less intelligent versions of every heavy alternative band that came before them. I shudder every time they come on the radio.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
    DisturbedOne98

Thank you. Old Nightwish is a hell of a lot better then new.

The old sound was much more "real" and it wasn't so damn cheesy. Plus it had some uniqueness to it.

To be honest, I used to be into new Nightwish also, so I've had that listening experience. I grew out of it very quickly though. It all depends what you like though. You might like the new stuff more or the same as the old. Fine. I whole heartily disagree though. The old stuff was better IMO.

I have to agree with Blind Guardian. I will probably always have a place in my heart for those guys.

QFT. Get that **** off of the air.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well, that's obviously who I had in mind when I said that. :lol: But I haven't seen too many power metal bands that really impressed me with their live performances...Symphony X is an exception. Savatage was really good live too, although I don't know if everybody would consider them "power metal" since they do a lot of prog stuff/concept albums.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Haha, Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace are the only Heavier Alt Rock Bands I can stand, Ben's lyrics pwn. Hinder I agree with you there.

20. DisturbedOne98

You're certainly on the right track man! Symphony X and Savatage are both great bands.

Savatage could be considered part Power Metal, but like you said, they do mix a few different styles.

Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace are certainly tolerable, but their music doesn't have much lasting value or uniqueness to it to be worth keeping in my library. Don't get me wrong, I used to really like them both, but my tastes have deepened way beyond that and now it's like "meh" to me.

I don't even like Linkin Park anymore lol. I still am interested in hearing what they do, but I don't listen to them nowadays.

I started posting in these forums when I was still interested in them, so I come here just to post and occasionally see what's new in the world of LP.

Last edited: May 28, 2009