Academy Awards Result

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Feb 23, 2009.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

So now a movie becomes controversial just because it's won so many Oscars? Well I guess then that Lord of the Rings is the most controversial movie ever..

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Completely out of line. I've noticed you seem to have an attitude whenever Selene/Whateverhernameis is around. It's got to stop now.

Same goes for the rest of you - and you know who you are.

Anymore nastiness - or any backchat directed at this post and I'm closing this. It's getting beyond a joke.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think there has been some controversy around the film, regarding how some of the children who appeared in it were taken from where they lived in a poor area of India to appear at the award ceremony, before being taken back. It doesn't seem like a massive deal to me but yeah.

I can't see which posts may or may not have been aimed at my comments about Milk because I'm working and I can't view the second page of the thread because of the wanky filter we have, but regardless I'd like to take an opportunity to put what I said a little bit better. My point was that dismissing the film itself purely because of a possible liberal agenda is rubbish. It's hard to even generalise it as a gay film or however you'd term it, because so much of it is applicable to civil rights in general and certain current events, as well as more universal humanistic themes such as finding hope and legitimising one's own identity. Just listen to Sean Penn's monologue at the end again, or actually watch the film if you haven't already. The editing is beautiful, and Penn's performance is great (if it isn't better than Mickey Rourke's in The Wrestler there definitely isn't much in it) although Josh Brolin trumps him.

As for making up for Brokeback Mountain's loss, that film still won, what, three Oscars that year. Not to mention Phillip Seymour Hoffman winning best actor for playing Truman Capote who, if I am not mistaken, was openly gay.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

ive seen it and it was pretty fucking good
    ^_^ i liked it alot

grego

grego Well-Known Member

Have you seen Milk though? It was a pretty good effort there too. Likely that Rourke won't have another role like that, so he missed out sadly. But then Brolin (Milk) also missed out because he went up against Heath.

This year had some strong contenders. It definitely was not a light year, although some picks were questionable like Benjamin Button for best picture.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

I personally thought TDK deserved it's award...and heath? Well...seeing how his award can't do him any good, they could've given it to another actor...it's a nice gesture, but other than that, I find it somewhat...unnessecary. I see it as seasoning open wounds with salt.

Sadly, I have yet to watch the rest of the movies that won awards. So...no input there.

grego

grego Well-Known Member

Well if you didn't give it to Heath, who did have a good performance, wow the backlash would probably be pretty bad even with all the other solid performances.

Seinfeld

I didn't say he didn't deserve it...just saying, that it doesn't do him any good, since he has passed on.

I guess that's just my opinion though.

grego

grego Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to say you didn't, but there are still fans of Heath out there/fans of the film. And of course there is his family, which seemed very proud and honored to accept it. So i wouldn't say that its any less of an honor even if he isn't physically there to appreciate it.

Seinfeld

I guess you're right... I just thought it might be hard for his family...seeing how the award brings back the attention to his...well, not being around anymore.

Maybe I'm just looking at it in black and white just a bit much.

On a side note: I never really got to catch up on the whole story...was he really going crazy, because he was too into his role as the joker? I heard someone say that...just not sure if it was true...

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I don't see how being dead or alive can affect a person getting recognized for his work.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I like to look at it this way: even though I'd probably say Josh Brolin was the best in the supporting actor category this year, I think Ledger would probably have won Oscars at some point in his career anyway had he not died.

I don't think he was actually going crazy. I read an article on his contribution to The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus (the film he was working on when he died) where Terry Gilliam said that normally Ledger had a really positive disposition and was really good at returning to that between takes, despite also really getting into character when he had to.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I just realized I haven't seen any of the movies nominated for "Best Picture." :lol: