Football (Soccer)

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by FreeYourMind, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Being an aussie I'm a massive fan of Mark Vidukaand Tim Cahill. Heavily underrated players us australians.Favourite club will always be Liverpool. Go the reds!!!!

2. Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

We're playing against a fifth division club today in the French Cup. Hope we don't mess this up as in the League Cup.

3. Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

there isnt a point in keepng toure if gallas and toure cant jell to form a solid center to be honest, even the all-french center back pairing of Silvestre and Gallas (former Man U and Chelsea men) look so much stronger and also toure has been far from excellent this season. I think Wenger should throw him back into the defensive midfield position he held when he first came to Arsenal. But if its any compensation i'll admit that Arsenal has had injury problems in the past two seasons that really cost them

4. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I don't know...Gallas, in my opinion, is the weaker of the two. On paper I think we have one of the strongest defences in the league: 2 of the best full-backs in the world and two very experienced quality centre-backs...for some reason though the defence just doesn't gel with one and other. All of a sudden this season every member of the defence has cocked up on several occasions, particularly Clichy and Toure and I don't know why that is.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with a simple lack of communication because I don't doubt the quality in each of those defenders whatsoever. We've even got decent back up in Djourou and Silvestre and even if Senderos comes back he's still a decent back up defender. I think the lack of an experienced defence midfielder has hurt us this season aswell. I can't believe Wenger allowed Flamini, Gilberto and Diarra to leave last season and not replace them...I don't think Denilson or Song are up to the task of replacing them.

When it comes to injuries you're spot on Evan. I think the last season we had that wasn't ruined by injuries was 03-04 and obviously we had a pretty great season that year. Since then there's been very little joy.

I want to see a change at boardroom level. I think someone needs to come in and pump some money into this club and fast. I refuse to believe that Wenger avoids buying big established talent at his own accord, it's a certainly finacial factor. Our chairman has been quoted today saying there's very little money to spend on players which just goes back on everything he's said the past 3 years. I think if Wenger could have he would have bought the likes of Ribery etc. and the team would have been much better from it. At the moment we're a good 2-3 years away from challenging for the league in my opinion and that's unacceptable considering we finished only 4 points off the top of the league last season and havn't won the damn thing since 2004.

5. Evan™

its pretty odd considering the board on a number of occasions has reassured Wenger that there was money to spend....IMO i think Wenger is trying to save some face for what looks like a poor decision on his part to replace players going with his crop of youngsters and thus refuses to spend on established/experienced players.

If Arsene doesnt buy in Janurary, i must say i'm wholling putting my trust in Aaron Ramsey to step up and become the defensive midfielder that Arsenal have so sorely missed this season. Song is simply to sluggish and Denilson doesnt have the same bite as Viera or Petit and in recent seasons Gilberto or Flamini.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  6. Gitsnik

Sainte-Geneviève-des-Bois (CFA, 4th division) 0 - 3 Lille (L1).

That brings us to the 16th of finals of the French Cup.

Now let's get focused on the championship game against Le Mans next week.

7. Evan™

Grats JJ, nice win in the FA cup

8. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

FA Cup 3rd Round

Hartlepool United 2 - 0 Stoke City

Easy Easy Easy!!!

serious though.. how do we manage to lose against Crewe one week 4-1? and win the next, beating Stoke 2-0? Stoke are 41 places above us in the league rankings.. i just dont understand it! :mellow: heres to getting Chelsea away in the next round or something!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  9. Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

So, after the FA Cup draw today, all I can say is:

:mellow:

10. JJ

Hartlepool United vs West Ham

should be a cracker!!

11. Gitsnik

Well the second and lower division clubs are doing quite well.

12. Evan™

softy southerners eh

13. JJ

exactly my thoughts :lol: i hope its a cold cold day and the pitch isnt perfect (even though it usually is) and we sneak a win :)

there is talk of Dean Windass moving to Hartlepool on a loan deal too.. that'll be ace i think

14. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Mock The Week, football style:

[​IMG]
    Jermain Defoe obviously thought he could impress 'Arry by dressing as one of the chimney sweeps from Mary Poppins.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  15. Evan™

funny they said he could be moving to Leeds which is more believeable considering the distance he would have to move if he had to go from Hull to Leeds than from Hull to Hartlepool

16. Gitsnik

Boulogne are really impressive.

17. devilsnight2003

devilsnight2003 Dogs Don't kill People, Wabbits Do

Man U are crap, mind the goal was a cracker. Can't believe we're going to lose Tevez by the looks of it and why o why did we pay so much for Berbatov???

Still Wycombe are top still, nice. Fingers crossed for Bristol City to go down, that would make my year

18. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

N'Zogbia or Shorey at left back...

can we just have Bouma on crutches or something? Having said that Zog is a good winger, but if we sign him he'd have a pretty hard time getting into the team ahead of Young and Milner. More depth though I suppose.

19. Evan™

IMO adding N'Zogbia would be a waste of his talent if he isnt going to play, and he is bound to want first team action so...

20. Gitsnik

So Valenciennes - Caen has been postponed and Valenciennes has used 2 000 liters of fuel oil to keep the field "warm".

All for nothing...